Neil's Seattle to Portland trip during R40

pasqua

In Far and Wide, Neil mentions that, on the day they rode from Seattle to Portland (7/20/2015), Mike Mosbach (his riding partner) "forgot to turn over the map," which led to something Neil calls "Heartbreak Day." He chooses not to go into any detail in the book about it, and based on what he does say, despite a touch of humor, he seems truly frustrated by what happened. Does anyone know more about this story?

Here is what he wrote:

Screenshot-2022-08-21-205348.png

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 9:10 PM, pasqua said:

In Far and Wide, Neil mentions that, on the day they rode from Seattle to Portland (7/20/2015), Mike Mosbach (his riding partner) "forgot to turn over the map," which led to something Neil calls "Heartbreak Day." He chooses not to go into any detail in the book about it, and based on what he does say, despite a touch of humor, he seems truly frustrated by what happened. Does anyone know more about this story?

Here is what he wrote:

Screenshot-2022-08-21-205348.png

Think as much as you like about it. His writing often had multi-meanings into things. Sarcasm, sentimentality, frustration - and then he would make a point of explaining why he wrote something.

You have the words in front of you, I have read it all a couple of times but don't know why, exactly, he wrote any of it per-say.

But something that comes to mind is, it may have been a point of geography when he learned terrible news during previous travels. And perhaps Michael (boy, how they loved to banter!) should have known better, but I am on Michael's side. It must have taken a lot to consider all the thoughts and reactions Neil had during travels around the world. 

Personally, I think to really understand a lot of what Neil wrote you need to keep a running journal of entries for cross-referencing. I think he really did pay that much attention to what he wrote.

On 9/10/2022 at 9:15 PM, Bahamas said:

Think as much as you like about it. His writing often had multi-meanings into things. Sarcasm, sentimentality, frustration - and then he would make a point of explaining why he wrote something.

You have the words in front of you, I have read it all a couple of times but don't know why, exactly, he wrote any of it per-say.

But something that comes to mind is, it may have been a point of geography when he learned terrible news during previous travels. And perhaps Michael (boy, how they loved to banter!) should have known better, but I am on Michael's side. It must have taken a lot to consider all the thoughts and reactions Neil had during travels around the world. 

Personally, I think to really understand a lot of what Neil wrote you need to keep a running journal of entries for cross-referencing. I think he really did pay that much attention to what he wrote.

Thanks so much for that reply. I think you're absolutely right, he took his writing very seriously and chose every word carefully. I really wish his unpublished China book would get released someday!

From anything I have seen, those old logs are for close friends and family, only.

I hope (one can?) that some day a lot more of his writings will be released. If only because we really, really want to learn more about his early days.

More than just Backstage Club letters and tour books and cyber delicatessens and such - but diaries and travel journal entries. Is that fan-creepy? I don't think so. I think he had a lot to say and we would like to read about it all.

Cheers - and just look around the internet, there is a lot out there about his writings. But I agree, a published and cover to cover compilation would be a bedside companion.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 10:33 PM, pasqua said:

Thanks so much for that reply. I think you're absolutely right, he took his writing very seriously and chose every word carefully. I really wish his unpublished China book would get released someday!

Neilpeart.net is still up and active. The home page is selling the Clockwork Angels book, but on the menu you can select  archives>blog archives  and there are a ton of his old blog postings available to read. Most of them are interesting and well written as always. 

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4