Has this ever happened to you at a concert?

J2112YYZ

I was set to see Anthrax and BLS last night. We get to the venue and everything is fine. Except for the fact that it was 200 degrees in there because this place doesn't know that air conditioning exists. The first band, Hatebreed plays and they have to cut their set after five songs. The singer said the stage had a hole in it and they needed to end their set so it can get fixed before BLS comes out. So, after a 45 minute wait, no equipment change over, the house lights come on and someone from the stage crew announced that the rest of the show is cancelled. In my 30 years of going to concerts this was a first for me. I've come to find out that the middle of the stage was sloping down and Anthrax and BLS felt it was unsafe for them and the fans to perform.

Anyone else ever have anything odd happen like that which caused a show to be cancelled?

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I was set to see Anthrax and BLS last night. We get to the venue and everything is fine. Except for the fact that it was 200 degrees in there because this place doesn't know that air conditioning exists. The first band, Hatebreed plays and they have to cut their set after five songs. The singer said the stage had a hole in it and they needed to end their set so it can get fixed before BLS comes out. So, after a 45 minute wait, no equipment change over, the house lights come on and someone from the stage crew announced that the rest of the show is cancelled. In my 30 years of going to concerts this was a first for me. I've come to find out that the middle of the stage was sloping down and Anthrax and BLS felt it was unsafe for them and the fans to perform.

Anyone else ever have anything odd happen like that which caused a show to be cancelled?

Dang! That has not happened to me, but that sucks!! They need to give you a refund or promise to come back and play soon when the stage is fixed.

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Dang! That has not happened to me, but that sucks!! They need to give you a refund or promise to come back and play soon when the stage is fixed.

They did say refunds will be issued starting Tuesday. Since I bought it online, I guess my card will get refunded. I don't think they will be going back to this venue after this. Which is a shame since it's an old armory and it makes for a good place to see a show. I've seen Priest there a few times before with no issues. I'm guessing it was the venue that provided the stage since this place hosts all sorts of other events. So, there isn't a set spot where the stage is like other concert venues. The stage gets put up and taken down based on what they need the place for. So, it was certainly up to them to make sure that it got fixed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Wow, that stinks! How disappointing. Have never seen anything cancelled on the spot but have seen a few weird ones. In the late 70s I saw a Jethro Tull/Rainbow concert where Tull finished up and it took Rainbow over an hour and a half to come on. We chalked it up to Ritchie Blackmore but things were starting to get ugly when they finally came on. Glad you will get a refund.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

No air conditioning, 45 minute wait. I would've been out of there so fast...even if they promised to do 'I'm The Man' three times. 

I stayed towards the back because of how hot it was. I wasn't going to get closer because the heat combined with the body odor and farts this kind of crowd could produce would have been insufferable 😂

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, blueschica said:

Wow, that stinks! How disappointing. Have never seen anything cancelled on the spot but have seen a few weird ones. In the late 70s I saw a Jethro Tull/Rainbow concert where Tull finished up and it took Rainbow over an hour and a half to come on. We chalked it up to Ritchie Blackmore but things were starting to get ugly when they finally came on. Glad you will get a refund.

I saw Metallica and Guns N Roses back in 1992 and GnR didn't come out until two hours after Metallica finished. It was expected though because this is back when Axl wouldn't take the stage until he felt like it. The crowd did get restless though and started destroying the port a potties on the field. Not sure what that accomplished though. They had cameras there and they were going around to try and get girls to flash them so everyone could see it on the stage and stadium screens. So, the camera guys were at least trying to do something to pass the time 😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I stayed towards the back because of how hot it was. I wasn't going to get closer because the heat combined with the body order and farts this kind of crowd could produce would have been insufferable 😂

Body Order. New Testament album?  :wink: 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I saw Metallica and Guns N Roses back in 1992 and GnR didn't come out until two hours after Metallica finished. It was expected though because this is back when Axl wouldn't take the stage until he felt like it. The crowd did get restless though and started destroying the port a potties on the field. Not sure what that accomplished though. They had cameras there and they were going around to try and get girls to flash them so everyone could see it on the stage and stadium screens. So, the camera guys were at least trying to do something to pass the time 😄

My laughing response is due to the camera guys!  :biggrin:  I remember that was a problem on that tour, wasn't there a big riot in Montreal because Guns wouldn't come on after Metallica?  Glad you were ok.  People in Pittsburgh were mostly laid back back then but after we had to wait so long for Rainbow, I do remember people trying to take the seats apart, not sure to what end??

• Like 1

A friend of mine was at that show. I've been to that venue twice, and I really enjoyed those shows. That's a shame. I'm glad you're at least getting a refund.

• Like 1

Not the cancellation, but the non-existent AC, sure did.  #1, Waybac in the 80's at Olympia Stadium in Detroit, for Traffic, with Pentangle opening.  AC wasn't working, and The Old Barn was a sweatbox.  Despite that, people were more pissed over Traffic's refusal to play " The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", despite repeated shouted requests.

Close #2, 12/06/1975, The Who/Toots & The Maytalls, Pontiac Silverdome.  Not so much hot, but decidedly stuffy.  I guess the folks running the Dome hadn't figured on an at that time indoor concert record of 76,000+ fans, most of them on the Silverdome floor due to the GA ticketing.  After little response to repeated pleas from Roger,  Pete got pissed. "It's f***ing blood and guts up here. Everybody, move the f**k back!" 

54 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

Not the cancellation, but the non-existent AC, sure did.  #1, Waybac in the 80's at Olympia Stadium in Detroit, for Traffic, with Pentangle opening.  AC wasn't working, and The Old Barn was a sweatbox.  Despite that, people were more pissed over Traffic's refusal to play " The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", despite repeated shouted requests.

Close #2, 12/06/1975, The Who/Toots & The Maytalls, Pontiac Silverdome.  Not so much hot, but decidedly stuffy.  I guess the folks running the Dome hadn't figured on an at that time indoor concert record of 76,000+ fans, most of them on the Silverdome floor due to the GA ticketing.  After little response to repeated pleas from Roger,  Pete got pissed. "It's f***ing blood and guts up here. Everybody, move the f**k back!" 

Wasn't there a Who show where people were trampled to death? Was it this show or am I thinking of something else?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Wasn't there a Who show where people were trampled to death? Was it this show or am I thinking of something else?

Cincinnati, 12/3/79.

In '93, I think, I had tickets to a Alice in Chains show; I remember that Masters of Reality opened. Springfield Shrine Mosque, Spfld, MO. 

There was a longish break before Alice took the stage, they played two or three songs, left the stage, came back, played one more song, left again. Then one of the band members came back out, shouted in the microphone, "I came here to play some f*****g rock and roll!" and then he walked off again. Long pause.

A road crew type came out and announced the show was over and we should all go home. The crowd booed lustily, then started throwing the folding chairs that made up the center seating. At that point, my fiancée and I left. It didn't go full riot, but there was some damage done. There was never any explanation (uh, drugs, pretty clearly) and no refunds.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

In '93, I think, I had tickets to a Alice in Chains show; I remember that Masters of Reality opened. Springfield Shrine Mosque, Spfld, MO. 

There was a longish break before Alice took the stage, they played two or three songs, left the stage, came back, played one more song, left again. Then one of the band members came back out, shouted in the microphone, "I came here to play some f*****g rock and roll!" and then he walked off again. Long pause.

A road crew type came out and announced the show was over and we should all go home. The crowd booed lustily, then started throwing the folding chairs that made up the center seating. At that point, my fiancée and I left. It didn't go full riot, but there was some damage done. There was never any explanation (uh, drugs, pretty clearly) and no refunds.  

Yeah, it was probably drugs. Layne was already a full blown addict at that point. Most of Dirt is about addiction. I'm not sure what the sobriety status was for the rest of the band at that time though. Rock stars seem more well behaved these days and don't seem to go on stage unfit to play anymore. I guess they've learned from the past and are taking better care of themselves now.

That last second cancellation after your already at the show and everything has started is a true WTF moment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

One time about 6 years ago I went to see Ghostface Killah in Portland (Oregon) and he just no-showed. Found out after the fact that he wasn't even in town and his booking agents thought they had booked a show in Portland, Maine.

Wow, that is one major screw up 😄

• Like 1

I just remembered something. Back in June, I went to a New Found Glory show in Albany, NY.  The first band, Be Well, played with no issues. The second band, Four Year Strong, is one of my favorite bands of all time. During their first song, one of their two singers said that the house music was still playing through his in-ear monitors, which is incredibly distracting when you're trying to both sing and play guitar. Just after FYS finished their third or fourth song, the house lights came on, and the fire alarms were flashing, but no lights came on. Everyone seemed to be very confused about what was actually going on. After around 10 minutes, they resumed their set. Then, a song or two later, they started to have technical issues. I think something was wrong with one of the vocalists' mics. They ended up having to cut two or three songs out of their set. I did look up other setlists for that tour after, and the only songs I missed were ones that I'd heard them play twice before. I got to hear everything they played that tour that I hadn't heard live before. New Found Glory then played their set as planned. I still don't know what happened when the lights came on.

• Like 1

I dodged a bullet. I was very close to coming to that show. I was just too burnt out at the end of the week and decided against it.

I typically love seeing shows at the Armory since it's a unique venue. Even with the lack of AC. I remember a Judas Priest show back in 2014 that was an absolute swelter after Steel Panther made everyone wait. Had a great time despite that. Hopefully Anthrax comes back to play The Dome again. They had a fantastic show there a few years ago.

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

I've only ever experienced poor time management and/or crappy sound techs at venues, nothing like that. That's just sad. Sounds like there was no preparation or foresight for a show to even happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I dodged a bullet. I was very close to coming to that show. I was just too burnt out at the end of the week and decided against it.

I typically love seeing shows at the Amory since it's a unique venue. Even with the lack of AC. I remember a Judas Priest show back in 2014 that was an absolute swelter after Steel Panther made everyone wait. Had a great time despite that. Hopefully Anthrax comes back to play The Dome again. They had a fantastic show there a few years ago.

It got so hot for me during that Priest show I had to end up moving towards the back during the set. I remember they were playing Jawbreaker as I made my way back. Of course, if those hacks in Steel Panther didn't make us wait so long, I probably would have been ok for all of Priest's set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamie said:

I've only ever experienced poor time management and/or crappy sound techs at venues, nothing like that. That's just sad. Sounds like there was no preparation or foresight for a show to even happen.

I don't think it was lack of preparation. It was just one of those random things that happened. Perhaps all three bands equipment was just too heavy for that stage? I certainly understand them not being able to fix it. They couldn't exactly find a contractor in a timely manner at eight o'clock on a Friday night.

16 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I don't think it was lack of preparation. It was just one of those random things that happened. Perhaps all three bands equipment was just too heavy for that stage? I certainly understand them not being able to fix it. They couldn't exactly find a contractor in a timely manner at eight o'clock on a Friday night.

It sounds to me like it was an issue that should've been taken care of when it was discovered. I find it hard to believe that they found out about it during the show, but who knows.

6 hours ago, jamie said:

It sounds to me like it was an issue that should've been taken care of when it was discovered. I find it hard to believe that they found out about it during the show, but who knows.

I'm guessing if they noticed when the stage was first set up, they would have fixed it before putting any equipment on it. That's probably what ended up causing the damage. They couldn't fix it without removing everything from the stage first. I see it as when something breaks on your car or at home. A lot of the time you don't know anything is wrong and something is going to break until it happens.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:35 PM, J2112YYZ said:

I stayed towards the back because of how hot it was. I wasn't going to get closer because the heat combined with the body odor and farts this kind of crowd could produce would have been insufferable 😂

Lol

I can envision a army of middle aged men with cut off tee shirts raising their arms to throw horns all while emitting a gaseous blend of mighty taco and Genesee cream ale.

• Haha 3