Well it's been a while since a proper poll, right? Here's one I just came up with: Supertramp vs. ELO

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose one  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Band

• Electric Light Orchestra
    • Supertramp
  2. 2. Album

• A New World Record
    • Breakfast In America
  3. 3. Song

• Mr. Blue Sky
    • Goodbye Stranger

Since I was a fan of The Move, I had a natural transition to ELO. 

Supertramp has some great music but my heart is with ELO.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 3:03 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Which of these 70s icons takes the cake for you?

Good Poll EP 👍😎

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 3:12 AM, Nova Carmina said:

Supertramp. I can name several albums, and a dozen songs, off the top of my head, but ELO is a one (or two?) hit wonder in my imagination.

🤔 Here in the UK ELO had far, far more hit singles than Supertramp 

( Edit : Sorry I should have read ALL of everyone else’s post - especially Rhyta’s ! 🙃👍- before I repeated what had already been said :16ton: )  

I quite like Supertramp too btw 😎

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
More info required

On 8/15/2022 at 6:27 PM, IbanezJem said:

I don`t know anything by Supertramp - at least, I might recognise a song but not know it was one of the theirs - or ELO, other than Mr Blue Sky. Which I don`t much care for. Jeff Lynne must have had some compromising photos of the other Wilburys. I would say my ignorance was because both bands were too far before my time, but that`s nonsense as I Iisten to music from before, during and after their active years, so I figure I can`t be missing much.

IJ .. I recommend that you check out ELO’s best of album ‘ All Over The World - The Very Best of ELO ‘ … just maybe check out the intros to each track & I bet you’ll recognise most of them ! 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

IJ .. I recommend that you check out ELO’s best of album ‘ All Over The World - The Very Best of ELO ‘ … just maybe check out the intros to each track & I bet you’ll recognise most of them ! 😎

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 1:11 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Sorry, it was just a sarcastic way of saying ELO are not, in fact, one or two hit wonders. They have a lot of very very popular songs.

Agreed, that was my point as well.  As usual with these polls, we have to agree to disagree :wink:

ELO is fine.

I rarely listen, but they have several songs I like. 

Supertramp is simply far more interesting to me.

So they win in a sweep.

Also, I never understood the overwhelming love for Mr Blue Sky. Several sites suggest it's the happiest tune you could ever hear musically.

It's not interesting to me at all. I don't hate it, it's just a very average song to me. They have so many better ones.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mosher said:

ELO is fine.

I rarely listen, but they have several songs I like. 

Supertramp is simply far more interesting to me.

So they win in a sweep.

Also, I never understood the overwhelming love for Mr Blue Sky. Several sites suggest it's the happiest tune you could ever hear musically.

It's not interesting to me at all. I don't hate it, it's just a very average song to me. They have so many better ones.

that's what i said too. Mr. Blue Sky isn't even ELO'S best, IMO.

not even close.

Mick

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 9:48 PM, blueschica said:

I picked ELO for the band, since I really, really like Jeff Lynne's stuff. I'm a bigger fan of ELO's Face The Music, though, so I went with Breakfast In America, which I also really like.

I remember going to the beach one year (we always went to the same place) and we were friends with some guys there that we hung out with most years.  I hadn't had the chance to listen to Breakfast In America much, and somebody had it and played the heck out of it; I hadn't realized how good Supertramp was!  Nice memories.

Wasn't  Face The Music absolutely the shit? I like Supertramp, but ELO has a special place with me.

• Like 1