Well it's been a while since a proper poll, right? Here's one I just came up with: Supertramp vs. ELO

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose one  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Band

• Electric Light Orchestra
    • Supertramp
  2. 2. Album

• A New World Record
    • Breakfast In America
  3. 3. Song

• Mr. Blue Sky
    • Goodbye Stranger

2 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Supertramp. I can name several albums, and a dozen songs, off the top of my head, but ELO is a one (or two?) hit wonder in my imagination.

Oh definitely in your imagination, lol. ELO have at least half a dozen songs I generally expect anyone with two ears who doesn't live under a rock in western society to have heard before.

• Like 3

Supertramp is an easy pic for better band.  Album was close, but Tramp got the nod.  Mr Blue Sky got top song, with apologies to the phemomenal outro from Goodbye Stranger 

• Like 1

I had some really good times when Crime Of The Century came to be. Even In The Quietest Moments essentially changed my thought process on music, opening up my mind to other genres of music. I didn't purchase an ELO album until 1977 and absolutely loved their music. Jeff Lynne is a phenomenal musician.

• Like 5

I picked ELO for the band, since I really, really like Jeff Lynne's stuff. I'm a bigger fan of ELO's Face The Music, though, so I went with Breakfast In America, which I also really like.

I remember going to the beach one year (we always went to the same place) and we were friends with some guys there that we hung out with most years.  I hadn't had the chance to listen to Breakfast In America much, and somebody had it and played the heck out of it; I hadn't realized how good Supertramp was!  Nice memories.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Supertramp. I can name several albums, and a dozen songs, off the top of my head, but ELO is a one (or two?) hit wonder in my imagination.

I would say that most people only know of Breakfast in America, don't recall any songs off their other albums that did much.  ELO is one of my favorites, Out of the Blue was my favorite but  A New World Record was great too.

From 1972 to 1986, ELO accumulated twenty-seven Top 40 songs on the UK Singles Chart and fifteen Top 20 songs on the US Billboard Hot 100.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh definitely in your imagination, lol. ELO have at least half a dozen songs I generally expect anyone with two ears who doesn't live under a rock in western society to have heard before.

To have heard before? Like, ever? Sure. But are they subject to easy recall and humability? Not for me, my two ears, and my non-under-rock housing, no -- which I why I acknowledged that's maybe just a me thing!

I looked up what Google thinks ELO's top songs are, and when I clicked on several that didn't ring a bell -- like "Turn to Stone" -- I thought, "oh, yeah, I know this song" but it didn't provoke strong feelings of familiarity with ELO. After "Don't Bring Me Down," things get a bit ropey.

For Supertramp, though, as soon as I read the question, I thought of "The Logical Song," "Give A Little Bit," "It's Raining Again," "Goodbye Stranger," and "Take the Long Way Home," and that was without breaking a mental sweat. 

I didn't bother looking up how many hits either band had because while that's maybe interesting data, it's often not a measure of actual historical value -- why Led Zeppelin have zero number one hits! They must be nobodies.

• Like 1

Close poll but in my Case it's Supertramp for the Sweep.

I love ELO but the Tramp just has IT for me.  i call them the British Steely Dan.  Immaculate production and arrangements.  Quirky lyrics.

I will say i nearly voted A New World Record.  But.......I play Breakfast FAR more.

and come Goodbye Stranger is a bop and a half.  that song gives me the shivers.  Especially the solo at the end.  I'm actually surprised it's not winning.  Blue Sky isn't even THAT good (sorry) let alone CLOSE to ELO'S best.

Mick

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

To have heard before? Like, ever? Sure. But are they subject to easy recall and humability? Not for me, my two ears, and my non-under-rock housing, no -- which I why I acknowledged that's maybe just a me thing!

I looked up what Google thinks ELO's top songs are, and when I clicked on several that didn't ring a bell -- like "Turn to Stone" -- I thought, "oh, yeah, I know this song" but it didn't provoke strong feelings of familiarity with ELO. After "Don't Bring Me Down," things get a bit ropey.

For Supertramp, though, as soon as I read the question, I thought of "The Logical Song," "Give A Little Bit," "It's Raining Again," "Goodbye Stranger," and "Take the Long Way Home," and that was without breaking a mental sweat. 

I didn't bother looking up how many hits either band had because while that's maybe interesting data, it's often not a measure of actual historical value -- why Led Zeppelin have zero number one hits! They must be nobodies.

ALL of this Brother.  ALL of this!!!!!!

Mick

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Dreamer, Bloody Well Right, School, that "Don't you look at my girlfriend she's the only one I got" song...

:tongue:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, goose said:

Dreamer, Bloody Well Right, School, that "Don't you look at my girlfriend she's the only one I got" song...

:tongue:

Breakfast in America is an amazing song.

i love the vocal lines at the end.

The Ba da da dum.  than they basicaly start scatting.  get's me going every time, lol

Mick

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

That's a little conceited lol

• Like 1

Love ELO, grew up listening to their early stuff (Dad) - I mean yes, some of their later things got a bit too pop-py, but Jeff Lynne is a genius and not everyone knows the extent of his career.

I like Supertramp, too. But Shangrila - "fading like the Beatles on Hey Jude" - come on!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

it's sounds more like a school test and i hate those.

"i expect everyone to know at least 12 ELO songs by friday!!!!! or i shall call your mommies and Daddies!!!!"

lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

"i expect everyone to know at least 12 ELO songs by friday!!!!! or i shall call your mommies and Daddies!!!!"

lol.

Mick

Growing up in the UK, they get next to no radio play 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Growing up in the UK, they get next to no radio play 😂

to be fair.....according to you....it seems the UK is almost completly ignorant of most bands popular here in the 70's.

i continue to be baffled:laugh:

Mick

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

to be fair.....according to you....it seems the UK is almost completly ignorant of most bands popular here in the 70's.

Mick

The weird part? I'm really not familiar with what WAS popular 😂

I'm in limbo 😂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Also you say "according to me", at least I back my facts up with evidence. A lot that was HUGE barely made a dent here

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

14 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I saw an ELO concert on TV a few years ago. The show must have been from ten or so years ago, so pretty recent. Every song they played at that show was a song I've heard on the radio. Every one. ELO is a highly underrated band as far as their place in rock history. Jeff Lynne is a genius.

I gave ELO my vote for Band up there based on that, but I like Supertramp better, so they got my votes for the other two.

• Like 2

I don`t know anything by Supertramp - at least, I might recognise a song but not know it was one of the theirs - or ELO, other than Mr Blue Sky. Which I don`t much care for. Jeff Lynne must have had some compromising photos of the other Wilburys. I would say my ignorance was because both bands were too far before my time, but that`s nonsense as I Iisten to music from before, during and after their active years, so I figure I can`t be missing much.

Edited by IbanezJem

I love them both but I voted as follows - 

Band - Supertramp

Album - Breakfast In America

Song - Mr. Blue Sky

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

5 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

ALL of this Brother.  ALL of this!!!!!!

Mick

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

lol.

Mick

Sorry, it was just a sarcastic way of saying ELO are not, in fact, one or two hit wonders. They have a lot of very very popular songs.

• Like 4