woodstock 99

bathory

Out of the two documentaries, I think the Netflix one is much better than the HBO one because it actually lays most of the blame for the festival at the feet of the promoters for cutting corners/costs all over the place. The HBO one is much more heavy on the "Korn and Limp Bizkit play aggressive heavy music and that's why the kids burned the festival down." I'm not a fan of those bands at all but it's very obvious watching these docs and reading reporting at the time about it that the vast majority of blame for the way things went down should go to the promoters, not the performers.

• Like 3

lmao the commentary is way too dramatic for the early 30-40 mins of the HBO doc. just seems like one giant college party to me and they're playing ominous music and talking about how uncomfortable and in danger people must have felt. looks like they're having fun to me, a lot of this is just the journo commentators pushing current social standards onto an older, freer era. 

they weren't wrong about the entire culture at the time revolving around anger/rage and an uncertain societal nihilism though, in both music and popular media in general. music does have an influence over you emotionally which is why we enjoy it to begin with.

the beginning of this doc acknowledged that classic woodstock wasn't all peace and love either, which is nice. there was this 4-part series documentary about the metal/punk/hardcore scene in the 80's/90's and how a lot of teens/young adults involved in the scene were basically partying themselves to death, ending up degenerate homeless on the street, etc. i'm sure there must be some docs out there that shed light on how crazy the powerviolence/grindcore/etc scene is, some of those have niche festivals in EU and America, so i wonder. 

• Like 3

They focus way too much on the korns and bizkits .. what was happening during Dave Matthew’s set? There were quite a few mellow bands there as well 

On 8/15/2022 at 8:54 AM, Mr. Not said:

lmao the commentary is way too dramatic for the early 30-40 mins of the HBO doc. just seems like one giant college party to me and they're playing ominous music and talking about how uncomfortable and in danger people must have felt. looks like they're having fun to me, a lot of this is just the journo commentators pushing current social standards onto an older, freer era. 

they weren't wrong about the entire culture at the time revolving around anger/rage and an uncertain societal nihilism though, in both music and popular media in general. music does have an influence over you emotionally which is why we enjoy it to begin with.

the beginning of this doc acknowledged that classic woodstock wasn't all peace and love either, which is nice. there was this 4-part series documentary about the metal/punk/hardcore scene in the 80's/90's and how a lot of teens/young adults involved in the scene were basically partying themselves to death, ending up degenerate homeless on the street, etc. i'm sure there must be some docs out there that shed light on how crazy the powerviolence/grindcore/etc scene is, some of those have niche festivals in EU and America, so i wonder. 

Definitely. I turned it off, it was so biased in terms of modern views.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:12 PM, thizzellewashington said:

Out of the two documentaries, I think the Netflix one is much better than the HBO one because it actually lays most of the blame for the festival at the feet of the promoters for cutting corners/costs all over the place. The HBO one is much more heavy on the "Korn and Limp Bizkit play aggressive heavy music and that's why the kids burned the festival down." I'm not a fan of those bands at all but it's very obvious watching these docs and reading reporting at the time about it that the vast majority of blame for the way things went down should go to the promoters, not the performers.

yeah it's funny, there's about 150 death metal and black metal festivals every year and no one gets raped. but korn and bizkit are so heavy they send the crowd in a frenzy? queef!

On 8/15/2022 at 1:12 PM, thizzellewashington said:

Good, Netflix is the one I hope to catch soon.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:12 PM, thizzellewashington said:

All you need to see is them tossing everyone's water, charging $4/bottle, and then cut to the scene with the health department guy revealing all their re-fillable water/shower water was contaminated by the porta-johns. 

Edited by Union 5-3992

On 8/16/2022 at 5:27 AM, Xanadoood said:

They focus way too much on the korns and bizkits .. what was happening during Dave Matthew’s set? There were quite a few mellow bands there as well 

They burned their bridges years later with literal crap. :laugh:  Woodstock was just another concert for them anyways since they're one of those bands like Pearl Jam and Grateful Dead known for constant touring and many bootlegs.