RUSH AT SOUTH PARK 25TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT!

patjnev

FYI - There is a showing of the 25th anniversary special on the Comedy Channel - Sat. night at 10pm Eastern.  Scheduled for 2 hours so it is anyone's guess how much of the Rush stuff will be in it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I did sorta hear Alex struggling a bit, though it was pretty shoddy sound quality in the first place and any guitarist with arthritis that's out of practice is probably gonna struggle a bit on a one off gig. As far as Geddy goes, I though he actually sang CTTH better here than he did at my R40 show! Like someone said, he isn't getting any younger, and yet not being on a touring schedule and just needing to prep for one song at one show seems to have helped him out. It's still absolutely not as great as he was able to sing it even 20 years ago, and the high notes are totally gone (you can hear Les falsetto-ing them in the back though, which is nice), but the fact that 7 years after the last time he had to perform that song he can still do it about as well as he did then is honestly very impressive.

CTTH was a tough choice.  Does anyone have a top 10 RUSH  songs list of what they might have played instead?

On 8/11/2022 at 2:46 PM, Pressure/Hopenosis said:

I agree.  Bad song choice as Ged can't be expected to pull off CTTH vocally.  But they had some fun in retirement so you can't knock'em for that.  40th anniversary bluray had many yodeling cringe worthy moments and he's not getting any younger.

For crying out loud, it's been 7 years since R40, bet they haven't played much, I would expect them to be rusty.  Glad to see them enjoying themselves.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, goose said:

CTTH was a tough choice.  Does anyone have a top 10 RUSH  songs list of what they might have played instead?

I personally think they should have just come out, given a wave or two to the audience, hugged their on-stage friends, and then exited stage left.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:29 PM, thizzellewashington said:

CTTH was the right choice. It had to be something off Kings because that's what the Primus guys know best since they've been touring on it for two years, and that's actually probably the easiest song for Geddy to sing on the record. He sounded about the same as he did on R40 to me.

Have mixed emotions about this. Heartwarming to see the guys together and having fun among friends but for me there's a huge void. Messing with the arrangement near the end and the jam did help though. Staying away from Rush songs would probably help too. Definitely ready to move forward.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:29 AM, thizzellewashington said:

CTTH was the right choice... that's actually probably the easiest song for Geddy to sing on the record. 

:cheer: Madrigal :cheer:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ytserush said:

Have mixed emotions about this. Heartwarming to see the guys together and having fun among friends but for me there's a huge void. Messing with the arrangement near the end and the jam did help though. Staying away from Rush songs would probably help too. Definitely ready to move forward.

I think people are overthinking it. It's not like they're about to go on tour playing Rush songs with the South Park guy playing drums. Popping up once in a while at one of these one-off/tribute things when they feel like it (I assume they'll do something similar at the Taylor Hawkins shows) is cool to me. They're just having fun.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

I think people are overthinking it. It's not like they're about to go on tour playing Rush songs with the South Park guy playing drums. Popping up once in a while at one of these one-off/tribute things when they feel like it (I assume they'll do something similar at the Taylor Hawkins shows) is cool to me. They're just having fun.

Exactly.  This is two old friends having fun, nothing more.  Rush, as a live performing act, is finished.  It isn't about being professional performing musicians anymore (at least in a Rush context), it's about enjoying the fruits of a long and successful career and occasionally revisiting the past.

The guys in Rush have a lot in common with professional athletes.  They held themselves to an Olympic standard of performance for four decades; when they went out on stage, they gave everything they had because that's what the music required.  (Neil famously rehearsed for rehearsals.)  When you're playing at the limit of your abilities like that, age determines how long you can keep it up.

If Wayne Gretzky gets out on the ice these days, no one expects him to join a team and win the cup, they're happy just to see him in skates again.  That's the attitude I take towards performances like this one.

• Like 9

Geddy and Alex!!! That was so cool, and considering the event and fun nature of it, I thought they sounded fine.  Clearly everyone was having a blast!!!  What a treat for the performers and audience.  Closer to South Park!!!

Wasn't the idea that it was for Matt Stone primarily - a surprise for him? So I know there were paying customers but as a South Park thing, CTTH was fine. It wouldn't be my top choice through over playing/hearing over the years. 

The love from Les Claypool and Matt Stone and the fun had by all was nice to see from my perspective. 

• Like 1

Easy to pick apart the bits and pieces of the performance, but honestly?   Soooooo Cooooool !!!!!!!!!!!!

The jamming was nice, too.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 12:19 PM, edhunter said:

Ooof. Geddy sounds rough.

Nah. Ged sounded the same as he has since 2008.

You were probably hearing Les Claypool. It's hard to harmonize when you can't carry a tune in a bucket with both hands.

I mean ... if Les had sung like that two thousand years ago, he would've been stoned to death. 

On 8/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, thizzellewashington said:

That's totally true.  But for me with the incredible legacy they built it's difficult to avoid expecting to see the new guy behind them. I'd have probably felt different;y if it weren't a Rush song. But despite that, tt was very heartwarming to watch those guys play together again for themselves and for their friends.

It's great that they feel free enough to do an odd one off whenever they feel like it with out the extraneous BS that comes with touring. It was a blast to watch especially from the cheerful guitar solo onward.

• Like 2