I would appreciate new podcasts! Do you have any favorites?

blueschica

I often listen to podcasts while doing other things. Does anyone have any favorites they have listened to lately? I seem to have hit a point where I'm stuck with old ones. Thanks! 

Edited by blueschica

• The title was changed to I would appreciate new podcasts! Do you have any favorites?
3 hours ago, blueschica said:

I often listen to podcasts while doing other things. Does anyone have any favorites they have listened to lately? I seem to have hit a point where I'm stuck with old ones. Thanks! 

What about a boxing/UFC one? The Fight with Teddy Atlas??

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-fight-with-teddy-atlas/id1450847408

• Like 1

What kinds of things do you normally like to listen to? History? Sports? Music? Current events?  Movies? Anything you're definitely not interested in? I'm guessing you don't want a lot of Missouri-based sports podcasts (and the Cowboys!).

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

What kinds of things do you normally like to listen to? History? Sports? Music? Current events?  Movies? Anything you're definitely not interested in? I'm guessing you don't want a lot of Missouri-based sports podcasts (and the Cowboys!).

Trying to indoctrinate poor blueschica with the "Anfield Wrap", eh? :wagfinger:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Song Vs. Song is the only one I listen to. My favorite YouTuber, one of his best friends, and often times an internet famous guest star pit two hit songs from roughly the same scene and time period against each other for about an hour, give or take 15 minutes.  They start out by determining who likes which song better, then that ramble off all the interesting reasons why they feel the way they do for 45 minutes or so, at least somewhat trying to talk each other into seeing their own point of view (because they often disagree), then for the last 15 minutes or so they determine which song wins in each of their four big questions. These questions are theoretically meant to examine the strength of each song's legacy, backstory, energy, and lyrics, but they're framed as funny hypotheticals to keep them entertaining and light hearted. Lastly they read fan comments from their Patreon page, and reveal which song won in the fan poll on that page.  They've been doing it biweekly for about 3 or 4 years now, so they have quite a few great episodes built up, from The Stones vs. The Beatles (multiple times actually) to Olivia Rodrigo vs. Billie Eilish.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'm pretty open to stuff except current events; music, history, sports, movies sound good to me! I'm looking for all kinds of ideas at this point! My sister listens to a ton sure crime ones, so I have heard a lot of those, but there are plenty so maybe I have missed some?  Plus my husband says I'm starting to look sideways at everyone :laugh: :laugh:

(Sorry about the late response.  My mom has been on the waiting list at a specific senior residence and they had a unit open up today, so it was a busy day of looking, taking videos for her, dealing with forms, etc. etc.  It will be a big move but no 88 yr old needs to spend a third winter alone in a 2 story house . . . )

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Song Vs. Song is the only one I listen to. My favorite YouTuber, one of his best friends, and often times an internet famous guest star pit two hit songs from roughly the same scene and time period against each other for about an hour, give or take 15 minutes.  They start out by determining who likes which song better, then that ramble off all the interesting reasons why they feel the way they do for 45 minutes or so, at least somewhat trying to talk each other into seeing their own point of view (because they often disagree), then for the last 15 minutes or so they determine which song wins in each of their four big questions. These questions are theoretically meant to examine the strength of each song's legacy, backstory, energy, and lyrics, but they're framed as funny hypotheticals to keep them entertaining and light hearted. Lastly they read fan comments from their Patreon page, and reveal which song won in the fan poll on that page.  They've been doing it biweekly for about 3 or 4 years now, so they have quite a few great episodes built up, from The Stones vs. The Beatles (multiple times actually) to Olivia Rodrigo vs. Billie Eilish.

Oooh, thanks!  I have not heard of that one and it sounds good!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueschica said:

Thank you, duck!  I will give it a listen!

Teddy likes doing impressions of Mickey from Rocky...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Teddy likes doing impressions of Mickey from Rocky...

I will have to listen to more!  I hadn't heard of him before and thought he would be British, lol!

• Like 1

Only "podcast" I really "listen" to is Perfect Guy Life hosted by comedians Sam Hyde and frequently Nick Rochefort both formerly of Million Dollar Extreme. It's pretty much just 2 best friends comedically talking about any topic on their mind and currently relevant. Dont know if youre into that type of stuff, but I enjoy it. The full episodes are behind a paywall on Sam's gumroad. I don't pay for that but there are YouTube channels, including one Sam owns "sam Hydes Perfect Clips", that post condensed versions.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ST3V said:

Only "podcast" I really "listen" to is Perfect Guy Life hosted by comedians Sam Hyde and frequently Nick Rochefort both formerly of Million Dollar Extreme. It's pretty much just 2 best friends comedically talking about any topic on their mind and currently relevant. Dont know if youre into that type of stuff, but I enjoy it. The full episodes are behind a paywall on Sam's gumroad. I don't pay for that but there are YouTube channels, including one Sam owns "sam Hydes Perfect Clips", that post condensed versions.

Thanks! Anything that is entertaining is enjoyable for me. 

On 8/10/2022 at 8:15 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I've heard that one a number of times since Todd in the Shadows hosts it.  He's one of my favorites as well.  He has one of my favorites, Cinema Snob, in that Thomas Dolby One Hit Wonderland episode.

Lewis Black Rantcast

Christopher Titus

Your Favorite Band Sucks - They've covered :rush: as well.  Enter at your own risk.  There have been some nice agreeable targets of late, though, like Swift, Bieber and Chainsmokers.  Last one they did was T Rex.

The Throwback Podcast - Hosted by two xennials born the same year as me discussing the music we all grew up with.

John Fugelsang

Why I Hate This Album

I listened to the Halloweenies podcast for a year since they covered F13 movies every month.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

I'm enjoying the 1001album club podcast. Some youngish (in their 30s to 40s I'm guessing) musicians go through each album listed in the book by Richard Dimery - one album per podcast. 

The group of people on the podcast are musician friends from the US and the panel changes occasionally. So you generally get the same group of people discussing what they like and dislike about each album. There is a bit of banter between them and for me, it has a nice balance between analysis and light hearted joking. 

• Like 1

"History of Rock Music in 500 Songs" by Andrew Hickey is a good one.

Sometimes the wife and I listen to "Two Hot Takes" as a lark. Two painfully millennial women look at Reddit threads/stories and "analyze" the actions of the characters. It's hard to believe sometimes, but there's nothing as f'ed up as people, so it can also be good fun.

• Like 1

Have you tried some Canadian sources?

The topics are worldwide and diverse - I only hear about them on some regular day time radio programs, but they are quite popular - apparently some are award winning.

cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts.

And if you find any RUSH podcasts please advertise them here :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bahamas said:

The topics are worldwide and diverse - I only hear about them on some regular day time radio programs, but they are quite popular - apparently some are award winning.

Thank you for the link! There are a few Rush ones- let me find them and I will post here . . . 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, Bahamas said:

I finally found the one I have been thinking of!  I haven't actually listened to any of them yet  :facepalm: :facepalm:  but I wanted to post it here while I was thinking of this.

https://somethingfornothing.podbean.com

8 hours ago, blueschica said:

I finally found the one I have been thinking of!  I haven't actually listened to any of them yet  :facepalm: :facepalm:  but I wanted to post it here while I was thinking of this.

https://somethingfornothing.podbean.com

Something for Nothing is a good podcast, and I'd recommend mostly because it's a reminder of awesome Rush's music was. It's a little odd depending on your level of "hardcore/lifelong fan" knowledge because the two hosts don't seem to know (or pretend not to know) some things that you probably will.  I especially like their reviews of the live albums, although sometimes they don't excerpt every song, and that's a little annoying.

The Rush covers series of episodes is great, and it's where I heard this version of the unkillable "YYZ":

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

Something for Nothing is a good podcast, and I'd recommend mostly because it's a reminder of awesome Rush's music was. It's a little odd depending on your level of "hardcore/lifelong fan" knowledge because the two hosts don't seem to know (or pretend not to know) some things that you probably will.  I especially like their reviews of the live albums, although sometimes they don't excerpt every song, and that's a little annoying.

The Rush covers series of episodes is great, and it's where I heard this version of the unkillable "YYZ":

Ooh thanks for the recommendation!

Mike Rowe's The Way I Heard It.