Vin Scully has passed away

laughedatbytime

RIP, Vin.  :rose:  He was just the best.  Almost any announcer can make an exciting play sound good; he was great at making even really long innings interesting.  I enjoyed watching all the old footage of him today in tributes on different channels.  

His voice always takes me back to high school!  I was visiting my cousins in Los Angeles and the Dodgers were on the road with a series in Pittsburgh.  It was a different experience for me to get up and watch baseball games at 10 AM; we would eat late breakfasts while watching the game. :laugh:  It was a fun time and he was such a great announcer.  I'm not sure they make 'em like that anymore.  

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, blueschica said:

RIP, Vin.  :rose:  He was just the best.  Almost any announcer can make an exciting play sound good; he was great at making even really long innings interesting.  I enjoyed watching all the old footage of him today in tributes on different channels.  

His voice always takes me back to high school!  I was visiting my cousins in Los Angeles and the Dodgers were on the road with a series in Pittsburgh.  It was a different experience for me to get up and watch baseball games at 10 AM; we would eat late breakfasts while watching the game. :laugh:  It was a fun time and he was such a great announcer.  I'm not sure they make 'em like that anymore.  

While I wasn't a big baseball fan, my Mom followed the Dodgers from when they were in Brooklyn and LA.  I have fond memories of her tuning into the radio broadcasts of games late at night, we could pick it up most of the time but it often faded in and out.  I can see her now, sitting out in the front room with a little light on and listening intently, I was in junior high at the time.  Vin had such a pleasant voice, it was like having a good friend come into your house for a visit.

I thought of her when I heard the news of his passing yesterday, a sad and wistful day. Loved that NHL network had a tribute to him tonight, showed him in the announcer's booth in 2014 and some folks from the Kings brought the Stanley Cup there and he stood there marveling at all the names on it and ribbing them about drinking margaritas out of it the night before :biggrin:  He asked if they had wiped the salt off it, so funny.  Then he launches into a tale of how he remembered the goalies for the Rangers when they didn't have face masks, all the while he was watching the play on the field to make sure he didn't miss a thing.

He will be missed, I agree that I don't think we will see another like him. :rose: RIP

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

The word unique means 1 of 1. It doesn't apply to many things or people, but Vin Skully was unique. The sound of his voice, the cadence, like music it's as much about the rests as the notes. He obviously worked very hard on every part of his performance, including not getting in the way of the game. He influenced generations. 

:sundog:

• Like 2