The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

24 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Until FIFA allows for commercial breaks during games, USA doesn't have a shot.  :eh:  

Well, now we`ll all know whose bloody fault it is when Infantino announces his genius plan for referees to blow their whistle and announce "...we`ll be right back with this spot kick after these important messages". :bitchslap:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Well, now we`ll all know whose bloody fault it is when Infantino announces his genius plan for referees to blow their whistle and announce "...we`ll be right back with this spot kick after these important messages". :bitchslap:

Poland with a chance there. Not only because of the breathers but with possible :rr: commercials. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

"Berlusconi says he offered Monza squad sex workers in dressing room for big win". Never change, Silvio. :rolleyes:

Man, the Italians have all the luck when it comes to politicians, don't they? What do you suppose Nicola Sturgeon would offer her local side? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Man, the Italians have all the luck when it comes to politicians, don't they? What do you suppose Nicola Sturgeon would offer her local side? 

Somewhere along these lines I reckon....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, goose said:

Morocco, with flailing bodies, somehow keeping it close

But the only drama so far in this match is France by how much

Giroud could've finished this off in the first half. I do get pleasure from the French getting whistled down every time they touch the ball. :tongue:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

I do get pleasure from the French getting whistled down every time they touch the ball. :tongue:

Just whistling at the French in general, it`s kind of relaxing. But it did make my holiday in Paris a bit harrowing. :bolt:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Okay, so I wasn`t paying much attention to the first 45. The second half appears to have been wave after wave of Morocco attack, punctuated only by one of the most satisfying defensive challenges the game permits (on Mbappe).

Still only 1-0, which could be telling if there is no more scoring in the 90 minutes. :wink:

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

Morocco v Croatia it is then. I hope they go hell for leather - third place is not to be sniffed at for either side - as if they play to type both sides will have below 37% possession.

As for the other match, Lloris and Romero will be swanning back to Spurs Lodge with a fancy medal and a not-so-fancy medal, the exact order of those words tbc. I`m not sure they`re going to be totally prepared for Brentford away on the 26th Dec. Harry Kane will be advised to play in earplugs.

• Like 2

I watched tonights game (at a Christmas do last night so missed the Argies game).

I thought it was a decent enough game - Morocco made a good show of things but ultimately fell short.

Not often I cheer on the French, but by heck I hope they stuff the Argies!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

Morocco v Croatia it is then. I hope they go hell for leather - third place is not to be sniffed at for either side - as if they play to type both sides will have below 37% possession.

As for the other match, Lloris and Romero will be swanning back to Spurs Lodge with a fancy medal and a not-so-fancy medal, the exact order of those words tbc. I`m not sure they`re going to be totally prepared for Brentford away on the 26th Dec. Harry Kane will be advised to play in earplugs.

I don't know why, exactly, but the idea of both sides having 36% possession, and the ball just sort of sitting at midfield the other 28% of the time while the players ran around aimlessly, made me laugh and laugh. Maybe I'm WC punch-drunk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

I don't know why, exactly, but the idea of both sides having 36% possession, and the ball just sort of sitting at midfield the other 28% of the time while the players ran around aimlessly, made me laugh and laugh. Maybe I'm WC punch-drunk.

I  won`t lie to you, I am also amused by the idea of about 22 minutes of so-called action in fact being players running near, around, or over the ball, but none touching it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Poor old Harry! In so many people's eyes the reason England lost. Perhaps they should look at failings elsewhere in the team.

As for the media banging on and on about the referee didn't give us this, and the referee didn't give us that .... get over it ..... England were awarded two penalties after all.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I  won`t lie to you, I am also amused by the idea of about 22 minutes of so-called action in fact being players running near, around, or over the ball, but none touching it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, zepphead said:

Poor old Harry! In so many people's eyes the reason England lost. Perhaps they should look at failings elsewhere in the team.

As for the media banging on and on about the referee didn't give us this, and the referee didn't give us that .... get over it ..... England were awarded two penalties after all.

The commentary was as though VAR wasn`t around - he was not the greatest referee I`ve ever seen... but miss a pen with five minutes to go though... that is when the clutch player strikes. It`s not all Spurs` fault that Harry hasn`t won anything, he has been anonymous in the most important matches! :fistscrying:

• Like 3

• The topic was unpinned