The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

17 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'm afraid I'm one of those awkward sods who would mind things like the extra-legal murder of journalists and the systematic oppression of large swaths of their own society; those aren't exactly virtues we want exported.

The money would be nice, but it would diminish my enthusiasm for the club.

If KSA bought both clubs, we're one step closer to selling them the whole Premier League! Would they share resources? My god, would LFC and ManU have tp, gulp, share and play nice? The mind boggles.

It does boggle!! Scarey thing is they are actually considering it! 

I'm fully with you on the condemnation of state sponsered assassination and social oppression ..... however, we in the West do tend to turn a blind eye on things at national level when it suits us regarding countries 

with scandalous oppressive practices - if a lucrative trade or arms deal is there to be had, our politicians will steam right in there ...... but then condemn a football team for signing a deal.

With regard to a diminishment of enthusiasm for my club and indeed the beautiful game, tbh I am already struggling with the way the game at club level has become.

In the Premier League, it's all about the clubs with unlimited spending power versus teams who have to pick at the crumbs left behind.

I am loving watching the World Cup, but rarely watch at club level any more.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

In other news, Catarrh scores one to climb back into the match against Senegal! Now it gets interesting.

Too little too late I'm afraid!

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I didn't see it, but Iran seems to have won this deep into "Fergie Time"! 

I just watched the highlights and it looked like Iran could have scored  four or five goals.  One fabulous attack had near goals off each post.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goose said:

I just watched the highlights and it looked like Iran could have scored  four or five goals.  One fabulous attack had near goals off each post.  

They were by far the more attacking of the two teams.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'm afraid I'm one of those awkward sods who would mind things like the extra-legal murder of journalists and the systematic oppression of large swaths of their own society; those aren't exactly virtues we want exported.

The money would be nice, but it would diminish my enthusiasm for the club.

If KSA bought both clubs, we're one step closer to selling them the whole Premier League! Would they share resources? My god, would LFC and ManU have tp, gulp, share and play nice? The mind boggles.

It would definitely affect me and Spurs, for sure, were a disgusting regime to take over. Although it`s been a lifelong relationship for me, it would end. Supporting a club is simply not important enough for me to overlook state sponsorship killings, repression of women, human rights abuses. It would have absolutely no impact of course, but I`d feel cleaner. :laugh:

Were USA billionaires, or oil-rich states, to own more than 14 clubs this would allow any and all proposals to be voted in against any fans in the UK and their interests. It would almost certainly herald in many games to be played around the world, rather than in their stadiums in the UK, and the European Super League would be up for discussion on a regular basis, albeit with a larger contribution than the "Big 6" proposed a few years ago. Watch this space (probably). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

It would definitely affect me and Spurs, for sure, were a disgusting regime to take over. Although it`s been a lifelong relationship for me, it would end. Supporting a club is simply not important enough for me to overlook state sponsorship killings, repression of women, human rights abuses. It would have absolutely no impact of course, but I`d feel cleaner. :laugh:

Were USA billionaires, or oil-rich states, to own more than 14 clubs this would allow any and all proposals to be voted in against any fans in the UK and their interests. It would almost certainly herald in many games to be played around the world, rather than in their stadiums in the UK, and the European Super League would be up for discussion on a regular basis, albeit with a larger contribution than the "Big 6" proposed a few years ago. Watch this space (probably). 

It is interesting and understandable how deeply you feel about a scenario wherby Spurs were owned by the Saudis.

Bearing in mind Britain's close ties to the Saudis including trade deals, arms deals, close Royal relationships etc etc. does it make you feel difficult being a citizen of the UK? (just askin' lol!)

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

A sad day for Wales. A nice day for those who live in a country that didn`t qualify but has to hear about them all the bloody time like they`re beloved famiy members. :nyanya:

Lets be honest ... Wales were crap!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, goose said:

What's everyone's take on that late goal-negating offside call?  

Jackson Porozo was blocking the goalkeepers view (in my opinion) and unfortunately in an offside position.

Always going to be contentious but in my view it was probably just about right. (but then again i am not an Ecuador supporter!!)

18 minutes ago, zepphead said:

It is interesting and understandable how deeply you feel about a scenario wherby Spurs were owned by the Saudis.

Bearing in mind Britain's close ties to the Saudis including trade deals, arms deals, close Royal relationships etc etc. does it make you feel difficult being a citizen of the UK? (just askin' lol!)

I know you weren't asking me, but there's a difference between the UK (or USA) government buying a team, and recognizing that those teams simply play in places with dodgy policies. This would be the KSA buying the team/s, whatever accounting or legalistic fig leafs they attach. 

I get that it wouldn't matter a micron if I stopped watching LFC matches, and it's an easy position to mock as empty virtue signaling, but it would matter to me. There's also a difference between not living up to high standards and living down to low ones, and we know which is which.

Anyway, Ecuador have made it competitive! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zepphead said:

Yes. I am appalled by all those links, and especially all those between our governing party, the Saudis and of course Russia. But it`s easier to bear living in Scotland, and my preference would be to leave England - no beef with NI or Wales lol - whenever a referendum will permit. :yes:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zepphead said:

Ecuador v Senegal should be a cracker!

Ecuador are one of the "nicest" South American teams, but I`m sure there`s been enough cross-breeding from Uruguay and Argentina to bring out the gaucho in them! :blast:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Same start time for England-USA and Hawks-Canadiens.  :banghead:

So sorry blackhawkrush!!!!

Fortunately no such dilemma on this side of the pond!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Let's hope Valencia can recover, but it looks bleak. 

Yes - I hope he makes it!

• Like 1

Looking forward to this game.

Normally I don't bet on football but Sky Bet and Paddy Power gave me two free bets on the England V USA. (One for £1 one for £5)

Both are betbuilders so you have to pick a number of scenarios (eg winner, no. of corners, offsides etc.)

So, I an cheering for an England win, with a few goals and loads of corners lol!

• The topic was unpinned