The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

26 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

He's been an asshole the whole tournament. 

Let us never forget the club he was at before he moved to Villa - it`s obvious, you`ll kick yourself - Arsenal. :puke:

• Like 1

What a match!!  Awesome.  Not as good (IMO - but I am American so what do I know about football) as the 1982 semi between France and Germany.  Or the 1970 semi between Germany and Italy.  Thanks to Youtube I hav watched them and I thought they were better.  But the best word cup final I have watched.  One heck of a match - IMO.

For those who really follow the sport - how did the final match up to the other finals you have seen and other great match's you have watched?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

What a match!!  Awesome.  Not as good (IMO - but I am American so what do I know about football) as the 1982 semi between France and Germany.  Or the 1970 semi between Germany and Italy.  Thanks to Youtube I hav watched them and I thought they were better.  But the best word cup final I have watched.  One heck of a match - IMO.

For those who really follow the sport - how did the final match up to the other finals you have seen and other great match's you have watched?

This one is right at the top. Honorable mentions: Argentina-Germany '86, Poland-Argentina '74, Italy-Brazil '82, Poland-France '82... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

This one is right at the top. Honorable mentions: Argentina-Germany '86, Poland-Argentina '74, Italy-Brazil '82, Poland-France '82... 

Italy - Brazil of 1982, yes I should have mentioned it.  IMO its such a pity Zico, Socrates, Falco, Edar, Junior & co lost to Paolo Rossi, Dino Zoff, Marco Tardelli & co.  An awesome match based on what I have seen on Youtube but I rank it below the Italy - Germany match and the France - Germany match's I mentioned. 

Argentina - Germany from 1986:   I know Argentina was up 2 - 0 & Germany came back and tied it up b4 Argentina won it but that was decided in regulation.  I watched the rematch 4 years latter that Germany won 1 - 0 but have never watched the 1986 match.  Will have to check it out.  

As for the 2 Poland match's I must confess I am totally unfamiliar with them.  I know Poland had some really good sides in 194, 1978 & 1982 with Boniek, Late, Deyna, & Lubanski.  France of 1982 had Platini.  Not certain if Argentina of 1974 had any of the guys who won in 1978.  But I don't know anything about those match's.  Will have to check them out.

What about Hungry vs. Uruguay for 1954?  I have never watched it but have heard it was a tremndouse match.  Also the final from that year between Hungry and West Germany - another match I have heard was good but have never seen.  Anybody familiar with them?  How do they stack up to todays materpiece?   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Italy - Brazil of 1982, yes I should have mentioned it.  IMO its such a pity Zico, Socrates, Falco, Edar, Junior & co lost to Paolo Rossi, Dino Zoff, Marco Tardelli & co.  An awesome match based on what I have seen on Youtube but I rank it below the Italy - Germany match and the France - Germany match's I mentioned. 

Argentina - Germany from 1986:   I know Argentina was up 2 - 0 & Germany came back and tied it up b4 Argentina won it but that was decided in regulation.  I watched the rematch 4 years latter that Germany won 1 - 0 but have never watched the 1986 match.  Will have to check it out.  

As for the 2 Poland match's I must confess I am totally unfamiliar with them.  I know Poland had some really good sides in 194, 1978 & 1982 with Boniek, Late, Deyna, & Lubanski.  France of 1982 had Platini.  Not certain if Argentina of 1974 had any of the guys who won in 1978.  But I don't know anything about those match's.  Will have to check them out.

What about Hungry vs. Uruguay for 1954?  I have never watched it but have heard it was a tremndouse match.  Also the final from that year between Hungry and West Germany - another match I have heard was good but have never seen.  Anybody familiar with them?  How do they stack up to todays materpiece?   

:goodone: but Lato is still alive. :wink:

25 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

:goodone: but Lato is still alive. :wink:

Thanks.  I would also mention the Brazil vs. France from 1986.  Zico & Socrates against Platini's France.  Good match but I don't think its quite at the level of todays match.  Also, England vs. Argentina in but 1986 (good but again not at the level of todays gem - but infamous because of The Hand of God) & England vs. Argentina in 1998.  Thats one that I have never watched but from what I have read it started very god and just got better - esp. after Beckham got red carded and England was down to 10 men.  But again, it did not have the late match drama this one did.  Its one I need to watch - England of course lost on penalties.  England vs. Germany in 1990 from what I have read was another gem but again, not with the level of drama todays match had.  But I need to watch it.

Obviously a lot of match's I want to find the time to look for on youtube and watch so I can compare to todays match.  Like I said - what a match.

FIFA is amazingly corrupt but the on the pitch events of the last 3 world cups have been worth watching.  Just hold you nose in response to the corruption.  Lets hope that the woman world cup next year is as good as this years mens cup has been.

• Like 1

A fantastic final. To be honest I had a very lucrative day with the horseracing so I was half lit before the game kicked off!!:drink:

Ironically considering my dislike of Argentina, I had a small betbuilder wager, one element of which was Argentina to lift the trophy. 

All elements came good (mostly involving no. of corners, bookings, offsides etc.) so financially it was a very good day indeed for me!

• Like 4

Final standings: 1) Argentina 2) France 3) Croatia 4) Morocco 5) Holand 6) England 7) Brazil 8) Portugal 9) Japan 10) Senegal 11) Australia 12) Switzerland 13) Spain 14) USA 15) Poland 16) South Korea 17) Germany 18) Ecuador 19) Cameroon 20) Uruguay 21) Tunisia 22) Mexico 23) Belgium 24) Ghana 25) Saudi Arabia 26) Iran 27) Costa Rica 28) Denmark 29) Serbia 30) Wales 31) Canada 32) Qatar 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Argentinian-born legend Andrés Cantor never got to call a win for Argentina in a World Cup Final. Until yesterday.

You mean in '86 he was still in school? God, I'm old. :old:

• Like 1

World rankings: 1) Brazil 2) Argentina 3) France 4) Belgium 5) England 6) Holland 7) Croatia 8) Italy 9) Portugal 10) Spain. Argentina would've been first had it won the final in overtime instead of penalties. 

My daughter doesn't know a lot about World Cup soccer but she won the World Cup pool at work, a decent amount of money! :cheer:  She had Argentina to win, but had the most points because she was the only one who had Morocco going as far as they did. You go girl!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

World rankings: 1) Brazil 2) Argentina 3) France 4) Belgium 5) England 6) Holland 7) Croatia 8) Italy 9) Portugal 10) Spain. Argentina would've been first had it won the final in overtime instead of penalties. 

So Argentina beats Brazil in the Copa American in Brazil (yes, no crowd, thank you covid for that, but still they beat Brazil at home) and wins the world cup while Brazil goes out in the quarters (for the 4th time in the last 5 world cups!!) and Brazil is ranked higher then Argentina?  Can somebody explain that to me?

France in 3rd makes sense - barely lost this world cup and won the last one.  Belgium did win the 3rd place game at the last world cup (and IMO if they had beaten France would have beaten Croatia) but did not even get out of their group this time.  A little surprised they are still ranked 4th.

England at 5 makes sense.  Out in a close quarter final, lost the Euro cup final (on penalties) and lost the 3rd place game at the last world cup.  4th or 5th would make sense.  I guess Holland in 6 sort of makes sense and Croatia in 7th sort of makes sense.  Lost the last World cup final and won the 3rd place game here.  Italy in 8th sort of makes sense - they failed to even qualify for the World Cup after winning the Euro's.  Portugal & Spain - yeah, whatever.

So for me Brazil & Belgium (and perhaps Italy) should be ranked lower than they are.  Can somebody explain FIFA's rankings to me?  Or, like everything else with FIFA, is it just based on bribes? 

I am confused.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

So Argentina beats Brazil in the Copa American in Brazil (yes, no crowd, thank you covid for that, but still they beat Brazil at home) and wins the world cup while Brazil goes out in the quarters (for the 4th time in the last 5 world cups!!) and Brazil is ranked higher then Argentina?  Can somebody explain that to me?

France in 3rd makes sense - barely lost this world cup and won the last one.  Belgium did win the 3rd place game at the last world cup (and IMO if they had beaten France would have beaten Croatia) but did not even get out of their group this time.  A little surprised they are still ranked 4th.

England at 5 makes sense.  Out in a close quarter final, lost the Euro cup final (on penalties) and lost the 3rd place game at the last world cup.  4th or 5th would make sense.  I guess Holland in 6 sort of makes sense and Croatia in 7th sort of makes sense.  Lost the last World cup final and won the 3rd place game here.  Italy in 8th sort of makes sense - they failed to even qualify for the World Cup after winning the Euro's.  Portugal & Spain - yeah, whatever.

So for me Brazil & Belgium (and perhaps Italy) should be ranked lower than they are.  Can somebody explain FIFA's rankings to me?  Or, like everything else with FIFA, is it just based on bribes? 

I am confused.

Brazil won the South American qualifications for the World Cup. Argentina came in second. That's where the Brazilians accumulated enough of a point advantage over their rivals to this day. The standings are not decided by just one tournament, but rather team performances over a stretch of time. 

• Like 2

• The topic was unpinned