The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

So, now to put my totally negative head on .... I don't mind now who wins the World Cup ... (as long as it is not Argentina!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zepphead said:

So, now to put my totally negative head on .... I don't mind now who wins the World Cup ... (as long as it is not Argentina!)

Morocco or Croatia winning would be a travesty, and we all hate the French, so...

• Like 1

I really don`t want Messi to win a World Cup. It will be a meaningless bauble for him, a man ambivalent about the concept of a team. Now little Luka Modric, there`s a deserving man. I don`t think Morocco will make it. It`s not possible that Hugo Lloris can win 2 World Cup winners medals for France whilst winning nothing at all at Tottenham, surely? Well, sadly, it is. :facepalm:

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

So now its Morocco vs. France & Croatia vs. Argentina.  Thank you Morocco for knocking out both Spain and Portugal.  I did not see either of those upset coming but I am so happy you did.    

I can't see Morocco beating France.  Then again, I did not see them beating Spain or Portugal.  France plays with a style that I don't mind & Morocco would be a fun change of pace so I would be ok with either team  I would have liked England to have beaten France but won't lose to much sleep over them losing.  

Croatia vs. Argentina?  Depends on how much those teams have left in the gas tank after the games the other day.  For some reason I don't really care for Croatia so I will likely root for Mesi and Argentina - which is horrible thought.

Must confess, once England tied the game with France  had visions of England vs. Argentina in the final.  That would have been fun given the history between them.

Its has been a fun world cup.  Even the non football fans in the office have gotten interested.  Nice to see.

Edited by TheAccountant
corrected spelling errors
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Does Croatia fight to get something back, or do they crater and lose 5-nil now?

May as well start preserving energy for the real battle.... for third place! :pirate:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

May as well start preserving energy for the real battle.... for third place! :pirate:

2nd place four years ago, 3rd/4th now. Not bad for a country with 4 million citizens. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

2nd place four years ago, 3rd/4th now. Not bad for a country with 4 million citizens. 

I get the USA is about 60-75 years behind most of these countries in developing soccer, but it's stats like this that make me realize how wide the gulf is. We have so much work to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I get the USA is about 60-75 years behind most of these countries in developing soccer, but it's stats like this that make me realize how wide the gulf is. We have so much work to do.

Until FIFA allows for commercial breaks during games, USA doesn't have a shot.  :eh:  

• The topic was unpinned