The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

31 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

My hopes for Holland, Croatia, England and Morocco to reach the semifinals. England-Holland final.  :alien:

Croatia-Morocco!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

So, Spain dispense of Luis Enrique, which seems reasonable after he said they had played exactly as he wanted - a passes to shots ratio of 1000:1 seems like a silly plan. :wave:

Rather than use superior talent to attack and score, we'll take our chances in a shootout! :tongue:

(To be fair, Spain did miss on a number of good scoring opportunities during regular time)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

So, Spain dispense of Luis Enrique, which seems reasonable after he said they had played exactly as he wanted - a passes to shots ratio of 1000:1 seems like a silly plan. :wave:

Maybe they'll do a 180 and get Sam Allardyci to manage them . . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

They went the Polish route and hired the under-21 coach.  :rose:  

That was the English route too with Southgate, and it`s fair to say it worked out better than Sam Allardyci. Ah, the circle of life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

That was the English route too with Southgate, and it`s fair to say it worked out better than Sam Allardyci. Ah, the circle of life.

You will be put to the test by the Guy de Loimbard hordes tomorrow... Padon the French accent.  :ninja:   

• Like 1

Can we count Croatia as a North European nation? Brazil are knocked out of the tournament whenever they have faced such a side after the WC of 2002, when Ronaldinho embarrassed David Seaman.

The outcome of the encounters are losses in 2006 (France), 2010 (Netherlands), 2014, (Germany) 2018 (Belgium).

Works for me. :cool: Anything but more dancing.

• Like 3

Geez, I got caught up in watching the American Football sharps of YouTube and forgot about the match.  Doesn't look like I missed too much.  Nice save by the Croatian keeper (around the 78:00 minute mark)!  Is Brasil going to go the way of Spain, creating plenty of scoring chances but failing to finish, only to then fall in a shootout?  :popcorn:

Here's hoping...

Nevermind the Croats, I'm not sure I can put up with this for 30 minutes of extra time. Oof.

Croatia cannot hold the ball; their players dawdle, or make poor passes, and Brazil runs at them again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned