The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

At 53:00 slack defense by Japan allows a perfect Croatian entry to a perfect finish for the equalizer!

Seems to have woken Japan up as they nearly counter with the go ahead three minutes later!  :popcorn:

20 hours ago, Tony R said:

Lucky England?

Sure, but maybe no more than the winning side normally is; I thought they looked pretty good, honestly.  I know that's hard for some English to believe, but there it is.

Were they "beating France" good? That might require more luck.

• Like 3

There was no point during that extra time and subsequent penalty shoot-out that I thought Germany would lose. Did I say Germany? I meant Croatia. It was just like watching the Teutonic machine from the 1990s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

There was no point during that extra time and subsequent penalty shoot-out that I thought Germany would lose. Did I say Germany? I meant Croatia. It was just like watching the Teutonic machine from the 1990s.

I really enjoyed this match, with its starkly contrasted  teams

• Like 2

I often wonder why it is that I can`t ever really enjoy watching Brazil. The hype? The history? The worshipping of every five-yard pass?

Nope. It`s the dancing. Ever since Bebeto did his baby-rocking, I`ve tried to enjoy watching them score.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

I often wonder why it is that I can`t ever really enjoy watching Brazil. The hype? The history? The worshipping of every five-yard pass?

Nope. It`s the dancing. Ever since Bebeto did his baby-rocking, I`ve tried to enjoy watching them score.

Quite simply, that kind of celebration isn't very sportsmanlike. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Well, they're not exactly John Travoltas. I usually watch them score and turn my head. :moon:

• Like 2

Sorry to see Japan go out..... I didn't see any of it but judging from your posts it sounds like they were unlucky. I reckon it will be Spain & Portugal who progress today. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zepphead said:

Sorry to see Japan go out..... I didn't see any of it but judging from your posts it sounds like they were unlucky. I reckon it will be Spain & Portugal who progress today. 

Looking forward to today's matches!  How is paradise treating you?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Simon, goalkeeper who I'm sure doesn't even know of the existence of Rush, will be the death of Spain.  :facepalm:

It`s his solemn duty as a Simon. :blast:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad to see the teams were kind enough to put off any scoring while I was running the dog.  Let me guess, judging by all the whistling, I missed 25 minutes of tiki-taka?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, goose said:

Glad to see the teams were kind enough to put off any scoring while I was running the dog.  Let me guess, judging by all the whistling, I missed 25 minutes of tiki-taka?

The last 25 minutes/last 15 years, it`s all the same... :zzz:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why the hell are Spain dressed like Man City, in this cyan number? I would have thought Spain would be all yellow, cowardly and custard-like, if they have to wear their "away" kit. I don`t think I`m really able to accept them like this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

The last 25 minutes/last 15 years, it`s all the same... :zzz:

Like a Renaissance masterpiece, beautifully and brilliantly executed, but a bit boring with excessive viewing.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IbanezJem said:

Why the hell are Spain dressed like Man City, in this cyan number? I would have thought Spain would be all yellow, cowardly and custard-like, if they have to wear their "away" kit. I don`t think I`m really able to accept them like this. 

Trying to channel some Argentine magic, maybe?  Hopefully it ends  with the Spanish blues

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, goose said:

Like a Renaissance masterpiece, beautifully and brilliantly executed, but a bit boring with excessive viewing.  

Exactly! The banality of perfection is how I have described Man City. From Pep`s brain to the pitch, it can feel like it is pre-ordained, which frankly takes a bit of the drama out of it.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned