The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

Eesh, on defense the US is really dodging bullets at this point.  And on any counter attack the Yanks look right fagged out

(Did I say that last bit right? :tongue:)

USA are getting into the very dubious, if not naive, position of having everyone within 40 yards of their own box when Wales are in possession - leave someone up to receive the clearance! Just like the formation noted above by our Poland correspondent. You can`t release the pressure if you`re set only to suck it up (a gag for all you vacuum enthusiasts out there). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goose said:

The consequence of a penalty in the box is to me the most absurd aspect of the sport.  

The more of this World Cup that you watch, I`m afraid the officials will offer you ever-increasingly baffling examples of what constitutes a penalty.

Rule No.1 - the penalty award must, wherever possible, be completely disproportionate to the original threat on goal.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

Hmmm. Well that makes the group more opaque than it was earlier. If Iran are the whipping boys, who do England fancy taking it easy on?

Anyone got a trade deal to offer? :coy:

It'll probably come down to goal differential. I wouldn't put it past Iran to let Wales score about 12 on them.  :wink:  

• Like 1

I think Wales will be happier with the point than USA. 

On the evidence of what I have seen so far, England should beat both these teams.

It just makes the battle for 2nd spot in the group very interesting!!

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned