The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

In other news, set pieces help LFC squeak past the second-best team in the SPL. Hooray for lowered expectations!

I'm really hoping the "true" Liverpool show up this weekend and give Arsenal a thumping.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:18 PM, Nova Carmina said:

In other news, set pieces help LFC squeak past the second-best team in the SPL. Hooray for lowered expectations!

I'm really hoping the "true" Liverpool show up this weekend and give Arsenal a thumping.

We are the underdogs and in a rebuilding phase. 

Not the words of Arteta, but Herr Klopp. Now, that seems a little disingenuous to me, but he`s clearly on board with you with regards to embracing lowered expectations! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Ukraine joins Portugal and Spain as the possible joint hosts of the 2030 World Cup. However, there is a strong bid coming out of South America involving four countries. 

I would love to visit a South America-hosted World Cup. It is extremely unlikely that I would actually do anything about arranging to travel though, so it may as well be in Europe just for the convenient kick-off times. Needless to say, I am not thinking of us all with this observation. :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I would love to visit a South America-hosted World Cup. It is extremely unlikely that I would actually do anything about arranging to travel though, so it may as well be in Europe just for the convenient kick-off times. Needless to say, I am not thinking of us all with this observation. :biggrin:

The ace card in South American deck is that 2030 will mark 100 years since the first World Cup and Uruguay is one of the nations bidding. And as far as the start times for games, I only had a problem with the 6.30am games I had to endure during the Japan/Korea championships. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

The ace card in South American deck is that 2030 will mark 100 years since the first World Cup and Uruguay is one of the nations bidding. And as far as the start times for games, I only had a problem with the 6.30am games I had to endure during the Japan/Korea championships. 

Everyone hated that World Cup. Except those in that region, a whopping 0.4% of the international TV audience.

• Like 1

Everyone hated that World Cup. Except those in that region, a whopping 0.4% of the international TV audience.

I was thrilled when we drew South Korea. My wife told me at the time, "Don't be so happy, refs like to help the host nation". Boy, was she right...about later stages of the tournament that is, because against Poland, no help needed. 

• Like 1

If I had my time again, I think I would be a glory hunter and support a club that I had some confidence in. It shouldn`t be the case, but I would expect Brighton to continue their run of good form against us as we are all of a muddle at the moment. The question as to whether Conte can break Tottenham (which means make them genuine contenders) or Tottenham will break Conte (quitting in hair-thinning confusion) still hangs heavily in the autumnal air.

2 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

The weakest qualifying group for EURO 2024: Poland, Czech Republic, Albania, Faroe Islands, Moldova. Excellent opportunity for the Faroe Islands. :tongue:

I didn't pay much heed to the groups as I'm in bar in Dundee atm, but England might have a tough group there. Scotland seem to play Croatia a lot which is a problem, as Modric is clearly the first immortal man.:notworthy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I didn't pay much heed to the groups as I'm in bar in Dundee atm, but England might have a tough group there. Scotland seem to play Croatia a lot which is a problem, as Modric is clearly the first immortal man.:notworthy:

Italy can't catch a break. They get England and Macedonia.  :tongue:  

• Like 1

Today was another shit sandwich. I'm not sure what the problem is, but, then, Jurgen Klopp isn't either. At least he's getting paid millions to try to figure it out. I'm just opening another beer. 

Oh, what's that, Man City next? That's bloody lovely.

Anybody but Arsenal!

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Today was another shit sandwich. I'm not sure what the problem is, but, then, Jurgen Klopp isn't either. At least he's getting paid millions to try to figure it out. I'm just opening another beer. 

Oh, what's that, Man City next? That's bloody lovely.

Anybody but Arsenal!

It doesn`t take a lot to be wrong to slip from your high standards, breathing the rarefied air that is Top 2 with City for so long.

I`m not sure it looks great though, right now. There appear to be more than a few issues. I watched the game in a pub and not only was I horrified by how many Arsenal fans were in Dundee, I was also shocked by how Klopp`s Heavy Metal Football™ seems to have turned into playing Madrigal on a loop. Salah too wide > TAA has to come inside < Huge space behind > Opposition kick into gap > VvD still a Rolls Royce, but in a knackered old once famous brand name way.  :confused:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Tottenham in the news today. Google wants to buy the rights to name the stadium  :facepalm:  and Antonio Conte wants Nicola Zalewski.  :ohmy:  

I don`t think Google are the worst option - compared with the air-polluting Qatari-owned monsters that are behind the Etihad and the Emirates. :coy:

• Like 1

I don`t think Google are the worst option - compared with the air-polluting Qatari-owned monsters that are behind the Etihad and the Emirates. :coy:

But Google is truth-polluting, and what's wrong with "New White Hart Lane?" Oh right, the club has to get paid. :drool:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

But Google is truth-polluting, and what's wrong with "New White Hart Lane?" Oh right, the club has to get paid. :drool:

£250m over 20 years, it is not likely to be massively influential in our bid for world domination. Unless we can be guest stars in the Ekstraklasa. :biggrin:

• Like 1

£250m over 20 years, it is not likely to be massively influential in our bid for world domination. Unless we can be guest stars in the Ekstraklasa. :biggrin:

For that kind of money, I'd rename the Wisla Stadium to Zygmund III Waza stadium, pitch, ground, lane, whatever.  :notworthy:  

5 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Grabara's head is going to be even bigger now.   :facepalm:  

The history books will ensure his clean-sheet is forever followed with the legend - *Haaland did not play. :glare:

• Like 1

The history books will ensure his clean-sheet is forever followed with the legend - *Haaland did not play. :glare:

That's not going to stop him. Seriously, I don't want this guy anywhere near the national team in the future. A damn   :hotdog:  

• The topic was unpinned