The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

7 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Football-observatory.com came up with a ranking of PL teams that overpaid for their players the most in the last decade: 1) Man U - +238M pounds, 2) Aston Villa - +149, 3) Chelsea - +135, 4) Arsenal +129, 5) Everton +97, 6) Newcastle +76, 7) Leicester +74, 8) Southampton +70, 9) Liverpool +56, 10) West Ham +55, 11) Bournemouth +52, 12) Crystal Palace +50, 13) Fulham +45, 14) Nottingham Forest +38, 15) Brentford +37, 16) Leeds +36, 17) Man City +23, 18) Brighton & Hove -1, 19) Tottenham -6, 20) Wolverhampton -21. For the two gentlemen here, Spurs (41 transfers) total invested 951M, total estimated 957M, and Liverpool (33 transfers) total invested 1004M, total estimated 948M.  

I could go look it up, of course, but how did they calibrate this spend to results? LFC have done pretty well for themselves in the last decade, some misfires in the accounting department notwithstanding!

Still, eye-watering sums of money. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I could go look it up, of course, but how did they calibrate this spend to results? LFC have done pretty well for themselves in the last decade, some misfires in the accounting department notwithstanding!

I think they probably looked at a guy like Pogba and asked themselves: Was he really worth 105M? Obviously not. And for Liverpool, yes they're 56M in a hole, but for all the success and the money that came with it, it's a reasonable margin of error for a ten-year period. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Football-observatory.com came up with a ranking of PL teams that overpaid for their players the most in the last decade: 1) Man U - +238M pounds, 2) Aston Villa - +149, 3) Chelsea - +135, 4) Arsenal +129, 5) Everton +97, 6) Newcastle +76, 7) Leicester +74, 8) Southampton +70, 9) Liverpool +56, 10) West Ham +55, 11) Bournemouth +52, 12) Crystal Palace +50, 13) Fulham +45, 14) Nottingham Forest +38, 15) Brentford +37, 16) Leeds +36, 17) Man City +23, 18) Brighton & Hove -1, 19) Tottenham -6, 20) Wolverhampton -21. For the two gentlemen here, Spurs (41 transfers) total invested 951M, total estimated 957M, and Liverpool (33 transfers) total invested 1004M, total estimated 948M.  

:wub: What a beautiful story.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

If everyone shared my dim view of Coutinho, there would £140m less on the Liverpool balance sheet.

As for Spurs - this includes the buffoonery of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Soldado and oh so many others that we bought only to make massive losses on. :facepalm:

Still, to have thrown the stadium together and training complex whilst maintaining a Top 6 presence throughout the decade is pleasing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I`ve started dating a Polish woman. She listens to very heavy rock compared to me :fistscrying:

Then she's misguided if she listens to Lady Pank. From their hit songs that I've heard, "Less than Zero" is the band's heaviest effort, and old ladies at volleyball games go nuts when they play it between points. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Then she's misguided if she listens to Lady Pank. From their hit songs that I've heard, "Less than Zero" is the band's heaviest effort, and old ladies at volleyball games go nuts when they play it between points. 

She was showing me a video of a concert her sister was at, and you`re my only Polish reference point. :laugh: She wants me to see some really scary bands with her - all weird names and crosses and growling. 

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

She was showing me a video of a concert her sister was at, and you`re my only Polish reference point. :laugh: She wants me to see some really scary bands with her - all weird names and crosses and growling. 

Well, that definitely doesn't sound like Lady Pank. Are they having a Polish Woodstock in Scotland now? 

• Like 1

Hordes X - I politely declined. 

Yeah, the way you reacted to my 'Unleashed' 'Tiamat' 'Entombed' post, I'm not surprised. Why don't you ask her to a romantic evening with a band called 'TSA' at your place, nice AC/DC sound, Polish style. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Yeah, the way you reacted to my 'Unleashed' 'Tiamat' 'Entombed' post, I'm not surprised. Why don't you ask her to a romantic evening with a band called 'TSA' at your place, nice AC/DC sound, Polish style. 

I`ve got a lot of work to do to on this particular front. I have no idea how to get someone back from the edge, musically; it`s easier to get someone who knows pop to love rock, than it is from someone who already loves heavy metal to soften their tastes to rock. The Bible says that, someone near the back. :yes:

• Like 1

I`ve got a lot of work to do to on this particular front. I have no idea how to get someone back from the edge, musically; it`s easier to get someone who knows pop to love rock, than it is from someone who already loves heavy metal to soften their tastes to rock. The Bible says that, someone near the back. :yes:

Why? I had no problems liking 'Power Windows' after 'Hemispheres'.  :wave:  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Why? I had no problems liking 'Power Windows' after 'Hemispheres'.  :wave:  

I didn't listen in the order of release so the later albums caused me great confusion and alarm - the experience of natural progression that the established fan enjoyed was missed by me.:confused:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I`ve got a lot of work to do to on this particular front. I have no idea how to get someone back from the edge, musically; it`s easier to get someone who knows pop to love rock, than it is from someone who already loves heavy metal to soften their tastes to rock. The Bible says that, someone near the back:yes:

Only in the Apocrypha versions! Mostly it comes from the writings of Origen, who moved from heavy metal to rock after he auto-castrated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Only in the Apocrypha versions! Mostly it comes from the writings of Origen, who moved from heavy metal to rock after he auto-castrated. 

I bow to my learned friend`s expert knowledge of Erotica, err, I mean Apocrypha. :bolt:

• Haha 1

• The topic was unpinned