The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

Just now, Nova Carmina said:

I need a distraction . . . Poch to Chelsea?

Potter surely, so he can get a good old-fashioned career setback on his CV, one that it is not his own fault. Not sure emerging coaches are the most successful at Chelsea.

22 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Well, I guess Liverpool won't lose this weekend.

I`m very surprised they`ve done this - if every team is playing midweek and weekend up until the World Cup break, it seems like a feeble reason to implement the kind of insincere sanctimony I instinctively rail against. She was just an old human woman, no more no less - I mourn her as I would mourn any 96 year-old I didn`t know.

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I`m very surprised they`ve done this - if every team is playing midweek and weekend up until the World Cup break, it seems like a feeble reason to implement the kind of insincere sanctimony I instinctively rail against. She was just an old human woman, no more no less - I mourn her as I would mourn any 96 year-old I didn`t know.

It will give Ekstraklasa a chance to take center stage. :gumby:

• Like 1

Without retreading over old ground, the Cricket had its suitably sombre start to the day - national anthems, no advertising hoardings, no fancy dress in the crowd etc., and it`s turned into a kind of celebratory event.  Mourning becomes electric, if you will. :biggrin:

To tread over old ground, it seems to me that football could have paid appropriate tributes and actually had a one-of-a-kind weekend. I suspect that PL suits don`t trust a stadium full of football fans to keep their bazoo shut for long enough to get through a match without an egregious chant. :confused:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Without retreading over old ground, the Cricket had its suitably sombre start to the day - national anthems, no advertising hoardings, no fancy dress in the crowd etc., and it`s turned into a kind of celebratory event.  Mourning becomes electric, if you will. :biggrin:

To tread over old ground, it seems to me that football could have paid appropriate tributes and actually had a one-of-a-kind weekend. I suspect that PL suits don`t trust a stadium full of football fans to keep their bazoo shut for long enough to get through a match without an egregious chant. :confused:

There was an Ekstraklasa game being played when the news came out that John Paul II died. The match was abandoned. I wonder if English teams would play their Champions League fixtures had the Queen died a few days earlier. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

There was an Ekstraklasa game being played when the news came out that John Paul II died. The match was abandoned. I wonder if English teams would play their Champions League fixtures had the Queen died a few days earlier. 

The Europa League games involving British sides found a way to play on Thursday after the news broke. I just think decisions made with emotion and in deference to assumed protocol are generally wrong. Football is the only major sport not playing - I don`t count Horse Racing as that was a Queenie favourite so fair enough. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Juventus/Milik adventure with VAR is the top story in Italy, not the volleyball final.  :tongue:  

That was pretty insane though. Being sent off for celebrating a goal that was then disallowed by VAR but only because VAR didn`t look at the one camera angle that showed he was onside. :laugh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

That was pretty insane though. Being sent off for celebrating a goal that was then disallowed by VAR but only because VAR didn`t look at the one camera angle that showed he was onside. :laugh:

You already had a yellow, Arkadiusz.  :gumby:  

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned