The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

5 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Good to see you here, Z. I don`t think it`ll be as bad as if the men had won last year`s Euros. For one thing, the women succeeding seems to make people happier, rather than more nationalistic, hateful and violent! 

Well now we shall see!! In fairness they deserved to win ... the new manager has done wonders.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zepphead said:

Well now we shall see!! In fairness they deserved to win ... the new manager has done wonders.

If you feel there's too much bruhaha in the coming days, weeks or months over this win, just remember Jurgen Klopp's been drooling all over this tournament, and not in the way chauvinistic pigs might think. :wagfinger:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

If you feel there's too much bruhaha in the coming days, weeks or months over this win, just remember Jurgen Klopp's been drooling all over this tournament, and not in the way chauvinistic pigs might think. :wagfinger:

Damn those disgusting chauvinist pigs! :bolt:

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Nice try, but I saw your post from earlier. Pigtails ring a bell?  :wagfinger:

But I enjoyed the football too! I`m a Superfan! :nyanya:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

But I enjoyed the football too! I`m a Superfan! :nyanya:

Don't give me that. Cracovia would've had this kind of 'football' for breakfast. But if it's true, I expect you to watch Korona vs Slask tomorrow and post a complete analysis of the fixture. :popcorn:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Don't give me that. Cracovia would've had this kind of 'football' for breakfast. But if it's true, I expect you to watch Korona vs Slask tomorrow and post a complete analysis of the fixture. :popcorn:

I can say without fear of contradiction that the good sides - Spain, England, Germany - were considerably more watchable than Northampton and possibly most Scottish teams, except those in Glasgow and Edinburgh. I don`t think it`s necessary to compare directly to the men`s game, anymore than I would expect female Cricketers to compete against the male game; but I thought it was enjoyable on its own merits. The WSL was not very good when I saw it last year, so I`m not making that leap. :no:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I can say without fear of contradiction that the good sides - Spain, England, Germany - were considerably more watchable than Northampton and possibly most Scottish teams, except those in Glasgow and Edinburgh. I don`t think it`s necessary to compare directly to the men`s game, anymore than I would expect female Cricketers to compete against the male game; but I thought it was enjoyable on its own merits. The WSL was not very good when I saw it last year, so I`m not making that leap. :no:

Come off it, you were just hoping to see some knickers. Mind you, that Polish lineswoman on the near side was something else. :drool: Sorry. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Come off it, you were just hoping to see some knickers. Mind you, that Polish lineswoman on the near side was something else. :drool: Sorry. 

I knew your mask of sanctimony would slip eventually! :biggrin:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Arsenal-Leicester, will they take a knee?  :popcorn:

No need, equality for everyone has been achieved :thumbsup: To be fair though, that might just be in my house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

No need, equality for everyone has been achieved :thumbsup: To be fair though, that might just be in my house.

And that's about as much as they could've achieved with this fiasco.  :facepalm:  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

And that's about as much as they could've achieved with this fiasco.  :facepalm:  

I like the idea of raising awareness, but I`m not sure awareness levels were low? The argument was that the PL is watched worldwide, places where things are not so good. Oh, the Taliban are massive Palace fans.

*Ok, that was a lie.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I like the idea of raising awareness, but I`m not sure awareness levels were low? The argument was that the PL is watched worldwide, places where things are not so good. Oh, the Taliban are massive Palace fans.

*Ok, that was a lie.

Yeah, except everybody is watching international football too, and with only a few countries on board with the "idea", it's a bad PR move when one team kneels and the other doesn't. 

Edited by blackhawkrush

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

*Ok, that was a lie.

Well, bin Laden was an Arsenal fan . . . "After becoming interested in football as a kid, having kickabouts with his friends on the dusty streets of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Bin Laden apparently became so in love with Arsenal, he gave one of his sons a replica Gunners shirt with Ian Wright's name and number on the back."

And awareness is good because it's easy for people to believe that everybody thinks like they do, and act accordingly. We need constant reminders that our world is not as simple as some would like.

57 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Well, bin Laden was an Arsenal fan . . . "After becoming interested in football as a kid, having kickabouts with his friends on the dusty streets of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Bin Laden apparently became so in love with Arsenal, he gave one of his sons a replica Gunners shirt with Ian Wright's name and number on the back."

And awareness is good because it's easy for people to believe that everybody thinks like they do, and act accordingly. We need constant reminders that our world is not as simple as some would like.

He so fits the stereotype of an Arsenal fan. I`ve been saying "bomb them all" for years, years before we`d even heard of Al Qaida.

3 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

It would be helpful if the reminders were not pitched by a Marxist organization (BLM) That rubs a certain portion of the planet the wrong way, thankfully. 

Edited by blackhawkrush

26 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

It would be helpful if the reminders were not pitched by a Marxist organization (BLM) That rubs a certain portion of the planet the wrong way, thankfully. 

Of course, the link between the principle of black lives mattering, and the organisation Black Lives Matter, is made far less in the UK. The only people who were making a connection were the lunatic fringe of the Tory party, or what you might call moderate Republicans. Southgate and the England team and PL players were very clear that they were taking the knee as a stance against all forms of discrimination, not because of BLM. I think black lives matter, but I`m not a member of Black Lives Matter. :cheers:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Of course, the link between the principle of black lives mattering, and the organisation Black Lives Matter, is made far less in the UK. The only people who were making a connection were the lunatic fringe of the Tory party, or what you might call moderate Republicans. Southgate and the England team and PL players were very clear that they were taking the knee as a stance against all forms of discrimination, not because of BLM. I think black lives matter, but I`m not a member of Black Lives Matter. :cheers:

Hmm, then I must've been seeing things when I observed BLM signs at Premier League matches during the height of the pandemic, John Part wearing a BLM pin at PDC telecasts... 

14 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Hmm, then I must've been seeing things when I observed BLM signs at Premier League matches during the height of the pandemic, John Part wearing a BLM pin at PDC telecasts... 

I can promise you, nobody relevant talks about the group BLM here - only the people who don`t like the idea of racial equality - the principle is supported. 

PL prediction table - City will be affected by adapting to Haaland and Liverpool will sweep to glory with their rejuvenated strikeforce. Spurs to be the best team and be completely lovely in every way but their total of 98 points will leave them 3 behind Liverpool, but 10 ahead of City. :nyanya:

1   Liverpool

2   Tottenham Hotspur

3   Manchester City

4   Chelsea                     

5   Manchester United
6   Arsenal

7   Newcastle United

8   Aston Villa

9   West Ham Utd

10 Brighton & Hove Albion

11 Leicester City

12 Wolves