The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

Liverpool have just won their first trophy of the new season, so it seems a good time to snip an old thread and start a new one.  That's right: seasons should run on LFC Standard Time!

C'mon you Reds!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Liverpool have just won their first trophy of the new season, so it seems a good time to snip an old thread and start a new one.  That's right: seasons should run on LFC Standard Time!

C'mon you Reds!

...yet what little Nova didn`t realise, thousands of miles from him in a giant shiny bowl that can contain up to 62.850 people, incongruous and unnerving and questioning like a spaceship amongst a pile of so much WWII London rubble, an Italian maestro with expensively coiffured hair and black attire paces and grimaces and shouts, knowing his decisions shouted and actions taken now will somehow thwart the plans of the so-called Reds.  All of them! :rofl2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

C'mon you Reds!

So anyway, Miedz 1 Warta 1 at halftime. 

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Spurs 0-1 Roma. Tut tut tut. Ibanez scored for Roma, which I find insulting. :tongue:

If you could change your name to Haaland-owski... :eh: 

• Like 1

I shall try to summoin up a bit more enthusiasm this season ...... a winning start by Liverpool is always a help.

I fear that if the result goes a particular way tonight in the Woman's Euro final, we will have another 1966 scenario. Hearing about it over and over and over and over .....:zzz:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zepphead said:

I shall try to summoin up a bit more enthusiasm this season ...... a winning start by Liverpool is always a help.

I fear that if the result goes a particular way tonight in the Woman's Euro final, we will have another 1966 scenario. Hearing about it over and over and over and over .....:zzz:

Good to see you here, Z. I don`t think it`ll be as bad as if the men had won last year`s Euros. For one thing, the women succeeding seems to make people happier, rather than more nationalistic, hateful and violent! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

If you could change your name to Haaland-owski... :eh: 

I have quite enough trouble spelling Lewandowski as it is - oh, I`m getting better, that was quite easy. :nuts:

• Like 1

• The topic was pinned
3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I have quite enough trouble spelling Lewandowski as it is - oh, I`m getting better, that was quite easy. :nuts:

We just moved back into our old place after the fire. My last name has only four letters, and the builders still managed to misspell it on my mailbox. :gumby: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

We just moved back into our old place after the fire. My last name has only four letters, and the builders still managed to misspell it on my mailbox. :gumby: 

I`ve had a life of fools misspelling my surname. But now I`m a country where the first syllable is extremely common and my name can easily sound Scottish, so that shouldn`t happen again.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

What the what? I was about to have a nap, but find out the Euros final kick off is at 5pm! I expected it to be at 8pm. The smart money is still on the nap. :yes:

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blackhawkrush said:

Given your heritage, I'd have put the over/under on letters in your last name at 10.5! 

(That's meant to be lighthearted, not xenophobic -- just in case . . . )

• Like 1

Given your heritage, I'd have put the over/under on letters in your last name at 10.5! 

(That's meant to be lighthearted, not xenophobic -- just in case . . . )

Believe it or not, my last name is very American.   :hotdog:  

8 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Believe it or not, my last name is very American.   :hotdog:  

Robert very American. Unusual, but distinctive, and a good way to avoid any potential xenophobes. :yes:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Robert very American. Unusual, but distinctive, and a good way to avoid any potential xenophobes. :yes:

No, just 'very'. Four letters, remember?  :wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

So many blonde ponytails, it`s hard to know which one to enjoy most.  

I've chosen to enjoy them all more or less equally, but some more equally than others.

• Like 1

I've chosen to enjoy them all more or less equally, but some more equally than others.

Number 16 for England looks like a Welsh miner's daughter...and a mouth to go with it.  :blush: 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

"Very" sounds more French, somehow . . . 

This interesting old name is of early Medieval English and French origin. It was an occupational surname for a worker in iron. The name derives from the Old French term "ferreor", itself originally from the Roman (Latin) "ferrum". (from surnamedb.com). :unsure:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Number 16 for England looks like a Welsh miner's daughter...and a mouth to go with it.  :blush: 

Number 16 for England looks like a Welsh miner.

• Haha 2

• The topic was unpinned