Is Caress of Steel in your top 10 Rush albums?

Texas King

Is Caress of Steel in your top 10 Rush albums?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is Caress of Steel in your top 10 Rush albums?

• 1-3
    • 4-7
    • 8-10
    • DOESN'T MAKE THE TOP 10

On 8/4/2022 at 6:27 PM, Digital82 said:

I have remained fascinated, regarding the possible existence of a video for Lakeside Park.  the following appeared in the Caress of Steel tour book: “word has it that the legendary Horseshoe Tavern, in the band's hometown of Toronto, may quite possibly be the site for the filming of a new, promotional video for Lakeside Park".  Anybody here found out any info about this since that tour book came out?

I think if it existed, we'd have heard about it by now...

I like the album. It has a groovy vibe, and as Bahamas stated earlier, the album sowed the seeds of 2112. COS doesn't fit in my top 10 Rush albums, however. Maybe in top 11.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:44 PM, Texas King said:

Where is COS ranked in your book?

There’s quite a mix of responses so far , and I was wondering, Texas King,  where you’d place it yourself ? 🤔🙂

On 8/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, Sun & Moon said:

I like the album. It has a groovy vibe, and as Bahamas stated earlier, the album sowed the seeds of 2112. COS doesn't fit in my top 10 Rush albums, however. Maybe in top 11.

I was wondering what your Top 10 Rush Albums are ? 🤔
Also , does your Top 5 ever slightly rotate from time to time ? .. or tend to remain in the same positions ? 🙂

On 8/9/2022 at 9:57 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

There’s quite a mix of responses so far , and I was wondering, Texas King,  where you’d place it yourself ? 🤔🙂

No 6. Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures and 2112 are ahead, in that order.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 11:01 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Also , does your Top 5 ever slightly rotate from time to time ? .. or tend to remain in the same positions ? 🙂

My top 5 Rush albums listing pretty much consist of the same albums, but in the top 3 the albums rotate. I've grown to understand that for me it's impossible and unimportant to choose just one album that would be #1. 

There's rotation inside my top 10 as well, but some albums have so far never reached top 10, and I'm unsure if they ever will. But never say never.

My top 10 at the moment in no particular order:

Signals

Hold Your Fire

Hemispheres

Counterparts

Snakes & Arrows

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

A Farewell to Kings

Edited by Sun & Moon
typos
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, Texas King said:

No 6. Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures and 2112 are ahead, in that order.

Yep , I also have 

PEW, HEMI, AFTK & MP in my Top 4 

:thumbsup: :yes: :ROCK:
( and 2112 at No.7 😎

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
‘ spellchecker ‘ typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sun & Moon said:

My top 5 Rush albums listing pretty much consist of the same albums, but in the top 3 the albums rotate. I've grown to understand that for me it's impossible and unimportant to choose just one album that would be #1. 

There's rotation inside my top 10 as well, but some albums have so far never reached top 10, and I'm unsure if they ever will. But never say never.

My top 10 at the moment in no particular order:

Signals

Hold Your Fire

Hemispheres

Counterparts

Snakes & Arrows

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

A Farewell to Kings

Our Top 10s are pretty similar 🤔

except I’m not quite so keen as you on

Hold Your Fire  ( good as it is for Geddy’s vocals & bass playing :geddy:👍😎

My Top 10 currently stands as …

( Hemi is always No.1 for me & PeW No.2 

Albums 5 to 10 can sometimes change places 

I currently have Signals &. GUP as a tie in 

position 5 ) 

1. Hemispheres  

2. Permanent Waves

3. Moving Pictures 

4. AFTK   

5T. Signals

5T. GUP 

7. 2112 

8. PoW 

9.  CP

10. CA

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 1:01 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

It's the shag carpet edition of 2112... mid to upper mid pack for me. Good for when I'm feeling psychedelic and missing my Chrysler Cordoba. 

Edited by ozzy85

I love every note on this album but I think they made a mistake including ITIGB on the record. I like the tune fine but I think it should have been released as a non-album B-Side for a few reasons. Musically the opening riff is similar to In the Mood and the lyrics were almost novelty song level but the real wrench that tune throws into the works, is it messes with the duration of Side 1 compared to Side 2. With ITIGB included Side 1 is around 24 minutes long, without it, Side 1 would have around the same duration as side 2. This messed up the track running order on the 8-track and cassette, ruined the flow on those 2 mediums. 

NC0zMDAwLmpwZWc.jpeg

My0xMjU1LmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/29/2022 at 1:54 AM, taurus said:

I love every note on this album but I think they made a mistake including ITIGB on the record. I like the tune fine but I think it should have been released as a non-album B-Side for a few reasons. Musically the opening riff is similar to In the Mood and the lyrics were almost novelty song level but the real wrench that tune throws into the works, is it messes with the duration of Side 1 compared to Side 2. With ITIGB included Side 1 is around 24 minutes long, without it, Side 1 would have around the same duration as side 2. This messed up the track running order on the 8-track and cassette, ruined the flow on those 2 mediums. 

NC0zMDAwLmpwZWc.jpeg

My0xMjU1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Used to not really like I Think I'm Going Bald, but I didn't really think of it as a joke song so now I just kind of think it's OK although it's still probably my least favorite song on the album.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 6:11 AM, taurus said:

sonically it sounds like it was recorded at the same time as 2112

Understandable as they were made in the same studio just six months apart. No other Rush recordings took place so close together. 

2 hours ago, ytserush said:

Used to not really like I Think I'm Going Bald, but I didn't really think of it as a joke song so now I just kind of think it's OK although it's still probably my least favorite song on the album.

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:44 PM, Texas King said:

Where is COS ranked in your book?

Far away from the top 10. I like the album......but not worthy for my top 10 by a long shot.

I am pretty sure 1st generation Rush fans (the fans who were on board from the debut album) have it in their top 10. It was part of their Rush “upbringing”

I am a second generation Rush fan. I was 11 years of age when I was first exposed to Rush (Moving Pictures). The debut was in 1974 (I was obviously 4 years old). When I went back into their catalog after falling in love with the band in 1981.....Caress was by second least favorite album. I really enjoyed all of the albums. But this I considered one of the weakest. 

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Hemispheres

A Farewell To Kings

Fly By Night

Caress of Steel

Rush

That was and is how I have them from the point of my introduction in 1981. 

Edited by Todem

On 9/29/2022 at 1:11 AM, taurus said:

sonically it sounds like it was recorded at the same time as 2112

2112 sounds a lot better. Like night and day to my ears sonically. Especially Neils drum sound on 2112. Far crisper. His drums on COS sound like cardboard compared to the job they did on 2112. If anything.....COS and FBN are very similar in production and sonic quality. 

2112 they took it to a new level. The playing, the song writing and the sonic quality.....all AAA from that point thru T4E.....then VT happened which has been covered ad nausea. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Todem said:

2112 sounds a lot better. Like night and day to my ears sonically. Especially Neils drum sound on 2112. Far crisper. His drums on COS sound like cardboard compared to the job they did on 2112. If anything.....COS and FBN are very similar in production and sonic quality. 

2112 they took it to a new level. The playing, the song writing and the sonic quality.....all AAA from that point thru T4E.....then VT happened which has been covered ad nausea. 

Well I stand corrected - you sound like your right

On 10/5/2022 at 11:07 PM, Todem said:

Triple AAA through Signals for me. Grace I’ve come to love production wise but it was a turn off at first. Anyway.

Yes, totally agree about CoS’s and FBN’s production, not surprising they were released in the same year. The Didacts and Narpets section of FoL makes it especially apparent how much room they still had to grow with Neil’s drum sound. That all changes on 2112, where the guitars are thicker (and so think Alex first introduces some kind of phaser/flanger which really enlivens his playing), the drums feel real, and the bass is deeper. 

• Like 2

Fly By Night is a masterpiece of production.

The problem is that the master tape was lost sometime in the late 70s or early 80s and every subsequent release of that album, from the first CD to the latest vinyl remaster, has been sourced from what sounds like a cassette duplicate.

Get your hands on an early vinyl copy mastered by Gilbert Kong, which comes from the original master tape. (Or torrent it, since I'm sure everyone here has already paid for the album many times over. A rip by PBTHAL is readily available and sounds excellent.) The difference is like night and day. All kinds of new details pop out of the mix. The guitars sparkle, the drums pop, the bass bites.

Believe me, I used to think FBN was a dull sounding album too, until I learned this a few months ago and heard it for myself.

To be clear: there is no digital version of FBN sourced from the master tape. None, period.

Edited by Rush Didact
  • Like 3