Debut album lyrics

Timbale

So...Geddy has told the story before that he basically had to write the lyrics right in the studio because John was responsible for the lyrics but then he had a tantrum of some sort and destroyed them all?  Something like that, anyway...

But...these were surely songs that they had been gigging before they went into the studio, right?  Weren't these songs that Geddy had been singing prior to making the first record?  How does this make any sense?

Edited by Timbale

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but on Wikipedia there's a list of known but unreleased songs that were played by the band. It's possible some of the songs are stuff that John wrote.

I'd say it's definitely possible Geddy didn't remember every word to the songs they'd been doing. They were very young, and seeing as Geddy didn't write the original lyrics himself, it doesn't surprise me if he didn't totally have all the words down. Or maybe John had only recently finished them before losing them, so Geddy might not have had much time with them at all in their final form.

Who knows?

Hard to believe all of that was written on the fly. I love the debut and the lyrics. I don't consider the lyrics on the debut to be all that much inferior to neil era rush. And really in a few cases superior to keys and post keys rush.

Working man has stood the test of time and aged as well as any rush song.

• Like 1

WIth Neil, Geddy and Alex always wrote music independently of the lyrics, then worked on fitting the lyrics Neil had given them into the music they had written.  So I would guess the songs were ones that Geddy and Alex had already worked on musically while expecting that John would be providing lyrics in time to record.  

Edited by GeddysMullet

7 minutes ago, GeddysMullet said:

WIth Neil, Geddy and Alex always wrote music independently of the lyrics, then worked on fitting the lyrics Neil had given them into the music they had written.  So I would guess the songs were ones that Geddy and Alex had already worked on musically while expecting that John would be providing lyrics in time to record.  

So you don't think Rush were performing Finding My Way, In The Mood, Working Man, Take A Friend and What You're Doing in '73-'74?  I find it hard to believe that a band in that position went into the studio and decided "let's write new material for this".  Like, it's not how bands make 1st records, almost ever.

2 hours ago, Timbale said:

So you don't think Rush were performing Finding My Way, In The Mood, Working Man, Take A Friend and What You're Doing in '73-'74?  I find it hard to believe that a band in that position went into the studio and decided "let's write new material for this".  Like, it's not how bands make 1st records, almost ever.

They were probably playing those songs in some unfinished form that they were expecting to improve upon.  Who knows.  Probably not even Geddy and Alex remember the full story at this point.

• Like 1