Overdue, bittersweet, celebratory day in Cooperstown

Among other inductees, two of the game's most under recognized players were posthumously inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame.

Minnie Minoso put up numbers after 30 that would rival all but the best in the history of the game.   Unfortunately, ignorance, prejudice, and fear limited the numbers he could muster up to that time.  It is too bad he didn't live to see this day.

It is difficult to know exactly how great of a player Buck O'Neil was, but he may have been the best person ever to play the game.   I don't think he played a game in either the AL or NL, but despite having every reason to hate those who kept him from doing so, he only exuded love for all.   He was instrumental in establishing the Negro Leagues Hall of Fame and Museum, and happily promoted the game all his life.

I wonder if Geddy was in Cooperstown today, given his generous donation to the museum, a must see for anyone who cares about the history of baseball.   I haven't heard anything and doubt he would go, but you never know.

To the others inducted, Gil Hodges, Tony Oliva, David Ortiz, Jim Kaat, and Bud Fowler, who encountered racism in the Reconstruction Era, congratulations on your Hall worthy careers.

• Like 6

On 7/24/2022 at 6:59 PM, laughedatbytime said:

Among other inductees, two of the game's most under recognized players were posthumously inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame.

Minnie Minoso put up numbers after 30 that would rival all but the best in the history of the game.   Unfortunately, ignorance, prejudice, and fear limited the numbers he could muster up to that time.  It is too bad he didn't live to see this day.

It is difficult to know exactly how great of a player Buck O'Neil was, but he may have been the best person ever to play the game.   I don't think he played a game in either the AL or NL, but despite having every reason to hate those who kept him from doing so, he only exuded love for all.   He was instrumental in establishing the Negro Leagues Hall of Fame and Museum, and happily promoted the game all his life.

I wonder if Geddy was in Cooperstown today, given his generous donation to the museum, a must see for anyone who cares about the history of baseball.   I haven't heard anything and doubt he would go, but you never know.

To the others inducted, Gil Hodges, Tony Oliva, David Ortiz, Jim Kaat, and Bud Fowler, who encountered racism in the Reconstruction Era, congratulations on your Hall worthy careers.

Unfortunately now that Ortiz is in it's going to make the argument for the rest of the steroid cheats that much stronger.  He just happened to be the nicest of them all.

He was a big guy though even when I saw him playing in Salt Lake City