Not a fan of how the drum solo starts in MP 40th anniversary live set

zappafrank

Minor quibble I know, and probably hardly worth making a post over, hah, but maybe it's because I'm so used to the version of YYZ on ESL that hearing Neil sort of just roll into the solo as opposed to bouncing into it with some syncopation is jarring and takes me out of the experience a little bit.

Anyone else finding themselves having a hard time completing immersing themselves into the 40th anniversary live set because you're so accustomed to ESL?  For example, Alex's guitar on Broon's Bane comes across way more as a plugged-in classical guitar (a tone of which which I am not the biggest fan) than a mic'd classical.

• Like 1

Nah. I think it's a great alternative to ESL. Different performances and a different snapshot in time.

I agree that the segue into the drum solo takes a little getting used to after hearing ESL for 40 years.  But it's still damned good.  No complaints here.

• Like 1

I am loving the new MP 40th live set and it has been on high rotation.  ESL is it's own thing and I always felt it was a disjointed listening experience but the more live Rush the better!

Amazingly I have found myself listening to the medley and it got me reconnected with the song In the End.

I get what you're saying - Personally, I've been immersed in ESL since becoming a fan in the early 80's and I've absorbed and learned every note on it.  So, yeah, MP40 is different.  But I love it - to me, YYZ is a more energetic performance, but that also has some minor clams (the types of things that were probably "fixed" on ESL) that make it a more realistic representation of a show on the MP tour.  There are some things I miss (Like the extended gong bass drum riffing on the ESL solo - interesting that he left it out in Toronto, just a few days off from the ESL performance) but I am thrilled to have this "alternate universe ESL"

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 1:52 AM, zappafrank said:

For example, Alex's guitar on Broon's Bane comes across way more as a plugged-in classical guitar (a tone of which which I am not the biggest fan) than a mic'd classical.

Slightly off topic, but last month I played a Yamaha SLG200S (click here to see) for that "plugged-in classical experience" and it blew my mind. Smooth as drawn butter and a gorgeous, professional tone, even out of a simple practice amp. I want one.

First time I heard it, like you, my brain kind of automatically compared it to ESL, like without even explicitly trying. You know because we have all heard ESL a hundred times, so naturally what you hear on 'Live in YYZ' sounds different.  My first impression was that it was energized, more aggressive and I liked the change right away =)

On 7/18/2022 at 1:52 AM, zappafrank said:

Minor quibble I know, and probably hardly worth making a post over, hah, but maybe it's because I'm so used to the version of YYZ on ESL that hearing Neil sort of just roll into the solo as opposed to bouncing into it with some syncopation is jarring and takes me out of the experience a little bit.

Anyone else finding themselves having a hard time completing immersing themselves into the 40th anniversary live set because you're so accustomed to ESL?  For example, Alex's guitar on Broon's Bane comes across way more as a plugged-in classical guitar (a tone of which which I am not the biggest fan) than a mic'd classical.

I listen to more than my fair share of Rush bootlegs So I find it easy to immerse myself in the nuances of each performance.

• Like 1