Roger Waters: "...with all due respect to the Weeknd or Drake or any of them, I am far, far, far more important than any of them will ever be..."

The USA Today article about this had an interesting point.   He was ticked because the Globe and Mail and other local papers chose not to review his show (which was on the same night) after The Weeknd got cancelled due to power problems.   Waters stressed his concert was two nights and The Weeknd's was canceled. "Would it not have been possible to review his show one night and my show another night?" he asked.

He didn't like being ignored and that came through in his diss of the rappers.  Kind of embarrassing for him, don't you know who I am? sort of complaint.  He may have had a point on the relevance of their music but his whining made it seem just rude.

• Like 1

The Weeknd is awesome.

Bye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Hope you were running HARD after you clicked submit on that.  lol

I don't like Roger Waters or Pink Floyd. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, stoopid said:

You better

Honestly? Nah

3 hours ago, stoopid said:

You better

Also honestly, that has got to be my least favorite PF hit. It makes enough sense in context of the album, and sure, the guitar is pretty cool. But as a song? Nah man. I'd rather listen to On The Run.

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Also honestly, that has got to be my least favorite PF hit. It makes enough sense in context of the album, and sure, the guitar is pretty cool. But as a song? Nah man. I'd rather listen to On The Run.

i agree. Whenever David lead Floyd would play it in concert.  things would grind to a halt for me.

Mick

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

i agree. Whenever David lead Floyd would play it in concert.  things would grind to a halt for me.

Mick

Pink Floyd I think are my equivalent of you and Queensryche. I get their importance,I see how they impact a lot of things I love that came after.

I put them on and I race to turn it off.

Roger is an artist.   Just like any artist, you like their art or not.

I have tickets for 8/30 at MSG to hear/see/feel Roger's art. 

I've never missed a Floyd, Waters, Gilmour show in the NYC since 1973.   I did miss Nick Mason's show a few years back.

14 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Run Like Hell, performed live by Floyd(v1 and V2), Waters and Gilmour is an amazing experience.

Edited by custom55

27 minutes ago, custom55 said:

Roger is an artist.   Just like any artist, you like their art or not.

I have tickets for 8/30 at MSG to hear/see/feel Roger's art. 

I've never missed a Floyd, Waters, Gilmour show in the NYC since 1973.   I did miss Nick Mason's show a few years back.

I haven't had the chance to see Nick Mason's group, but I love the setlist! Someone would have to pay me a great sum of money to go to a Waters show, though. That effin guy.

18 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I don't like Roger Waters or Pink Floyd. 

What about Gilmour ?

50098721576_e472bdba9e_o.jpg

Edited by custom55

I actually really like the Weeknd's nostalgic 80's sound on his last release.  He isn't trying to make any social or political commentary (at least not overtly, that might affect his social likes.)  That's fine; it's entertainment.

Roger is clearly talking about his show's artistic aim - which, as I previously commented, is a call to action against alot of the nefarious political forces and evil (queue bass riff in 7/4) MONEY! The tour is called "This is not a Drill". Agree with him or not, he's attempting to do something bigger with his show, and in terms of awareness of human rights abuses, resisting these evils, and activating people to make positive change, etc. So, yeah, it is much more important than just "entertainment". 

I've seen Roger a couple of times previously (and Floyd as well) and something I found funny at one of the previous shows - I think it was when he was doing Dark Side of the Moon - he had a huge inflatable Pig with "f**k BUSH" written on the side of it.  I think this was around the time of the second Gulf war.  I overheard some morons "f**k him, USA, USA" "why does he have to get political".  I wonder if they had ever listened to Roger or Pink Floyd before then - or maybe they just never focused on the words or they weren't smart enough to understand them.  Their message could not have been more clear - from Dark Side to The Final Cut to Amused to Death to Is this the Life We Want?, etc.

I get that some people just want "entertainment"; that's cool, that's fine.  But PF / RW have always been artists, so there's going to be a healthy dose of thought-provoking commentary (for those open to it), Otherwise, others can just be awed at exploding planes and lasers.  

• Like 1

I don't objectively have any issues with Run Like Hell as a song, but Comfortably Numb and Goodbye Blue Sky, among others, are better individual tracks from The Wall.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Pink Floyd I think are my equivalent of you and Queensryche. I get their importance,I see how they impact a lot of things I love that came after.

I put them on and I race to turn it off.

TBH, no one cares if you like them.  They don't even need your support.  Thanks for sharing, I was having fun but you're clearly coming from a place of superiority I cannot attain.  Just remember you wandered into a topic for an artist/band you dislike.  You had the freedom to click, or not.

Edited by stoopid

47 minutes ago, stoopid said:

TBH, no one cares if you like them.  They don't even need your support.  Thanks for sharing, I was having fun but you're clearly coming from a place of superiority I cannot attain.  Just remember you wandered into a topic for an artist/band you dislike.  You had the freedom to click, or not.

Lmao okay Karen

11 hours ago, stoopid said:

I would agree with you if the thread title only mentioned Roger Waters or Pink Floyd. But there are two other artists named in the title. So, perhaps someone who is a fan of Drake and/or The Weeknd would be curious to see what Roger had to say about them and click on the thread.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I would agree with you if the thread title only mentioned Roger Waters or Pink Floyd. But there are two other artists named in the title. So, perhaps someone who is a fan of Drake and/or The Weeknd would be curious to see what Roger had to say about them and click on the thread.

That's a good point, but I didn't notice there were two other artists listed in the title.  lol

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, stoopid said:

That's a good point, but I didn't notice there were two other artists listed in the title.  lol

but to be fair Segue never misses a chance to say how much floyd does nothing for him.

how was lunch.

"i had the did i mention pink Floyd sickens me salad!!"

Can you pick me up a burger?

"god i loath Floyd"

Hi Segue!!!

I really have to run.....i'm missing my wine tasting and Floyd Hating meeting!!!"

:laugh:

Mick

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

but to be fair Segue never misses a chance to say how much floyd does nothing for him.

how was lunch.

"i had the did i mention pink Floyd sickens me salad!!"

Can you pick me up a burger?

"god i loath Floyd"

Hi Segue!!!

I really have to run.....i'm missing my wine tasting and Floyd Hating meeting!!!"

:laugh:

Mick

Look...

Erm...

...now...

aahhhhhh

• Like 1
  • Haha 2