Roger Waters: "...with all due respect to the Weeknd or Drake or any of them, I am far, far, far more important than any of them will ever be..."

I know who Roger Waters is.  I've never heard of Drake or the Weeknd.  

Does this prove Roger right?  :cool: 

• Like 1

He may be arrogant..but he never made the tootsie slide.......so Fukk you Drake.  not gonna lie though the Weeknd does have some straight bangers. not enough to make Waters less wrong but i liked his last album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

48 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

I'm not familiar with the music of Drake or the Weeknd but I am familiar with the names. Since they're both modern pop/hip hop, there is about a 99 percent chance I won't like their music anyways. While they're both very popular they probably won't reach the long term popularity and impact on the whole music world that Pink Floyd has had and will continue to have. So yes, Roger is right.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with what he said either. Are we supposed to be outraged just because someone told the truth?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'm not familiar with the music of Drake or the Weeknd but I am familiar with the names. Since they're both modern pop/hip hop, there is about a 99 percent chance I won't like their music anyways. While they're both very popular they probably won't reach the long term popularity and impact on the whole music world that Pink Floyd has had and will continue to have. So yes, Roger is right.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with what he said either. Are we supposed to be outraged just because someone told the truth?

Roger's better than 99.99 percent of pop...........HOW DARE HE BE.........uh......right.

lol

Mick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

Well...it proves your age. 

:tongue:

• Haha 2

If he's only talking about impact on music, that remains to be seen. At this point in time and specifically towards musical influence of course he's right. 

But what's the point of saying it? It reads as the words of an aging insecure arrogant ass. He says he doesn't know them yet presumes his performance is more relevant and important.

I love hip hop and find Drake's music popular pablum, it holds nothing for me. Don't have any opinion on the Weeknd and therefore I can't attest to whether I like the music or not. 

I love some of Waters' writing and he's written a lot of music important to me. 

Based on his comments, though, I can only assume I'm lucky not to know him. 

For all I know I might think Drake's an awesome guy. 

Don't make the mistake of equating artistic talent to a quality persona or opinion. 

All that said, everyone says stupid things due to exhaustion, exasperation, impulsive outbursts, etc. I won't assume anything about Waters personally on one stupid statement. Hopefully he'll see how that sounded and recognize how childish it comes across and walk it back. Obviously Waters was targeted for a 'shock' response, because why the hell point out to Waters that his show wasn't the biggest scheduled? That's utterly insignificant to the art anyway. So it's possible he gave an a-hole response to an a-hole comment. His attack, though, should have been aimed at the person bringing it up rather than the other acts. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I suppose it's more the audacity of what he said than the accuracy.  Of course Roger's never been one to show  humility 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, goose said:

I suppose it's more the audacity of what he said than the accuracy.  Of course Roger's never been one to show  humility 

That's my takeaway as well.  Shows how much class Waters has (none), and is consistent with his reputation in rock music circles for being unsavory.

• Like 1

yeah, certainly comes across as arrogant - but if anyone actually read his comment:

There is stuff going on here that is fundamentally important to all of our lives.

I think it's clear he was taking about the artistic and political aim of his show.  Roger's tour is called "This is not a drill".  It is a commentary on the state of the world today and a call to action to make positive change.  The show is designed to make people want to care and do something about it.  Ambitious? Pretentious?  maybe.  But I certainly don't see Drake or the Weeknd creating any sort of social commentary of any depth.  So, IMO, Roger is not wrong.

I'm going to see this show in August; very much looking forward to it!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cygnify said:

yeah, certainly comes across as arrogant - but if anyone actually read his comment:

I think it's clear he was taking about the artistic and political aim of his show.  Roger's tour is called "This is not a drill".  It is a commentary on the state of the world today and a call to action to make positive change.  The show is designed to make people want to care and do something about it.  Ambitious? Pretentious?  maybe.  But I certainly don't see Drake or the Weeknd creating any sort of social commentary of any depth.  So, IMO, Roger is not wrong.

I'm going to see this show in August; very much looking forward to it!

Well said. Here's one guy's take on Drake:

Drake has remained noticeably apolitical throughout his career. He has prefered to flex his fortune, rapping about being, “25 sittting on 25 mil,” on “The Motto” or his way with women. “The girl of your dreams for me is probably not even a challenge,” boasts the Toronto tunester on “R.I.C.O."

Edited by goose

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

When it comes to celebrities and the tabloid news media, of course we’re supposed to be outraged!  About everything!  There’s a lot of profit in outrage.  

I’m reminded of an old coworker who used to wear a t-shirt that read, “I’m not conceited.  I’m just better than you.”   Of course, the guy was a total dooshbag who annoyed everyone.  :bitchslap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m just saying he crossed the line. I don’t care if Roger Waters knows or likes Drake and The Weeknd or their music. I don’t care if he knows they’re from Toronto and that’s probably why they had “bigger shows” than his scheduled that night. Anyone with two brain cells towards common courtesy would simply have brushed the comment off or said something like “I hope they do well.” Instead Roger chose to belittle them. I also don’t care that Roger’s show has a political bent to it, because politics isn’t necessarily “more important” than art and entertainment in my eyes.  It all depends. There may be people at those Drake and The Weeknd concerts who have turned their lives around because of those artist’s music.  There may be people at the Roger Waters concert who don’t give two hoots about his politics and just want to hear him play The Wall.  So, to me, it’s tasteless and conceited of him to claim the moral superiority of his music concert to other people’s, as if he knows that his show is going to change the world for the better and no other show will. 

I can see why David won’t work with him anymore now.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

In the end i hate to say this but........Roger Waters doesn't matter. he doesn't.  nor does any celebrity.  in the end he eats shits and will die like we all will so ignore him.

Mick

• Like 4

Well, we like ourselves, don't we? That is obnoxious.

I wouldn't expect Waters to enjoy Drake or the Weekend's music anyway. Wouldn't expect any musicians of Water's generation to.

As long as he didn't say anything about RUSH - that's fine - otherwise he'd be asking for an ass whoopin'.

• Like 3

and ya know what let me continue my thought.  we are somewhat to blame for the big head he has.  listen.....Stop putting god status on these music folk.  they are people and they made music we like.....facts.  BUT....they really are not gods.  like.....they literally just make music we like.....that's the extent of it.  cancer is not cured.  i still can't walk.

i haven't been fixed by father roger, lol.

now as i wrote earlier i agree to that extent that i think pop music today can't match up to say Animals or Dark Side.  but so what?  Huh Roger so what????

sigh, lol

Just play concerts and shut up.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, goose said:

Well, this thread shows that Roger has shown an amazing ability to bring people together.  Just not as he may intend, lol.

like i never understod the point of being arrogant.  We all have a date with Death.  kinda puts us all level in the end?  am i wrong here?

not to be morbid but really right?

Unless roger like Sith lord Sidious can now cheat death.....there's no point in bragging

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

like i never understod the point of being arrogant.  We all have a date with Death.  kinda puts us all level in the end?  am i wrong here?

We're food for worms, and there's a beauty in that.  I find it liberating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

Well said. Here's one guy's take on Drake:

Drake has remained noticeably apolitical throughout his career. He has prefered to flex his fortune, rapping about being, “25 sittting on 25 mil,” on “The Motto” or his way with women. “The girl of your dreams for me is probably not even a challenge,” boasts the Toronto tunester on “R.I.C.O."

I think that what Roger is bringing attention to is important. Lots of bad stuff going down.

I dislike what I have heard of drake and the weekend. But I do think non political music is a welcome diversion from today's realities. We are kinda overwhelmed by bad news and negativity so any respite is welcome imo.

• Like 2

Expressed badly and bluntly, as we would expect from that navel-gazing human black hole, but he's not wrong yet.  The music he made with Pink Floyd has resonated and been important to people for decades/generations and likely has much life yet.

Will my kids' kids listen to Drake or the Weeknd? Maybe, but it's not likely, since it's not likely any popular music will survive its moment of creation. That PF (or Rush!) have done it for as long as they have is quite extraordinary.

We'll need to revisit this claim in about forty years and see how it's played out.

In the meantime, I'd suggest that while Mick is right in the "don't make false idols of these artists," that's just kind of what we do with artists, innit? Waters's political stuff is important today, but it's not the part that will stick with posterity, if anything does.  Today we remember people who made art that lasts, like Shakespeare, or Byron, or Mozart, and we tell stories about them, study them, lionize them, aspire to be them, but their politics are not part of that attention. Shakespeare's plays definitely had politics in them; Byron's poetry was often overtly political; Beethoven dedicated some of his work to Napoleon, but none of that affects how they're thought of today. Art does last; it does survive death. Homer was worm food -- like the rest of us -- but his art lives on, and it does matter, at that level.

If Roger Waters outsizes Drake or the Weeknd, it'll be because his art has stuck more than his (late) contemporaries, just like Shakespeare is "more important" than Thomas Nashe.

Edited by Nova Carmina
further thought
  • Like 2