What were the most memorable single years/seasons in various sports across an entire league?

Slime

Most sports are probably judged on their postseasons, no? So it's likely some time when something extraordinary happened late, but I can think of things like George Brett and Rod Carew chasing .400 in the early '80s; maybe the Dolphins undefeated season -- or the Bears and Patriots getting close. Mariners winning 116 games and falling down in the playoffs?

There are things like strike seasons that are notable. Dynasties are fun, so a team going for repeats (sorry, Crimson Misty Memory!).

Overall, I'd say that "memorable" is in the mind of the beholder, so for yours truly, I remember the I-70 series of '85, Brett Hull going for 86 goals, the Cowboys winning the SB again in 92/93 after a 15-year absence (which seems so adorable now).

Like most of my favorite music, most of deepest sports memories are that period from 14 to 24.

A few that come to mind...

1. The Yankees '78 season, with Ron Guidry going 25-3, coming back from 14 games down, the Boston Massacre in September and Bucky Dent's homer in the 1 game playoff. The World Series was somewhat anti-climactic, beating the Dodgers in 6. A great time for a 9 year-old...

2. UConn men's basketball 1990 and 1999 seasons. 1990 was memorable because we weren't expected to do anything at all and came within a Christian Laettner buzzer beater of the Final Four. I was at those games in the pep band. 1999 was memorable foe finally winning the title, getting sweet revenge on heavily-favored Duke.

3. Mark McGwire in 1998. It turned out to be fraudulent, but it was sure exciting as it happened. The games were nationally broadcast, it was that big a deal at the time.

4. Johannes-Thignes Boe's 2019 IBU World Cup Biathlon season. Complete dominance over the course of the season.

8 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Most sports are probably judged on their postseasons, no? So it's likely some time when something extraordinary happened late, but I can think of things like George Brett and Rod Carew chasing .400 in the early '80s; maybe the Dolphins undefeated season -- or the Bears and Patriots getting close. Mariners winning 116 games and falling down in the playoffs?

There are things like strike seasons that are notable. Dynasties are fun, so a team going for repeats (sorry, Crimson Misty Memory!).

Overall, I'd say that "memorable" is in the mind of the beholder, so for yours truly, I remember the I-70 series of '85, Brett Hull going for 86 goals, the Cowboys winning the SB again in 92/93 after a 15-year absence (which seems so adorable now).

Like most of my favorite music, most of deepest sports memories are that period from 14 to 24.

You were a couple of results away to a different answer, eh? 

• Like 1

I don`t about the leagues you refer to, as US sport is not really my wheelhouse. But I`ll nominate Tiger Woods 2000-2001 if we can expand the accolade to individual awesomeness? He was able to put all four Golf majors on the table at the same time (even though it wasn`t the classical Grand Slam), and that`s some achievement. :notworthy:

1984 Detroit Tigers.  Out of the gate 9-0, 35-5 in first 40 games.

Wire to wire, never looked back, 104-58.

3-0 vs Kansas City in the ALCS, 4-1 against San Diego in the WS, which basically ended with Kirk Gibson blasting a home run off Goose Gossage.

2 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

v5ap1Sa.jpg?fb

On a personal level, 2002.  Once Spiezio hit that 3 run homer and Glaus sealed it, I knew game 7 would be ours.  I lost my voice screaming "WOO!" in joy when it was 5-3 Giants. :laugh:  Thanks for the bases clearing RBI double, Garret Anderson, and Erstad for the last caught out.  Less said about this season and the 6 before it, the better.  Sell the team, Farte.

I'd mention 2012 for the hype surrounding Trout and Harper as well as Miggy getting the triple crown.

Edited by invisible airwave