Manny Charlton has passed away

taurus

https://deadline.com/2022/07/manny-charlton-dead-nazareth-guitarist-guns-n-roses-producer-1235059157/

Manny Charlton, the founding guitarist of Nazareth who played on the Scottish rock band’s best-known records, including “Love Hurts”, its LP Hair of the Dog, and also produced early Guns N’ Roses demos, died today. He was 80. His grandson, Jamie Charlton, posted the news on social media with the caption “RIP Grandad.”

Charlton cofounded Nazareth in 1968 with singer Dan McCafferty, bassist Pete Agnew, and drummer Darrell Sweet. The band found success in the UK with its 1973 third LP, Razamanaz, produced by Deep Purple’s Roger Glover. It reached No. 11, and spawned a pair of Top 10 singles in Great Britain, “Broken Down Angel” and “Bad Bad Boy.” Its follow-up disc, Loud and Proud, arrived that same year and hit the Top 10, spurred by another hit single, “This Flight Tonight.”

Loved a lot of his work. Telegram and Somebody to Roll were particular faves of mine

• Like 3

Very sad to hear this.

Back in the early '70s my best mate at the time was a massive Nazareth fan so I was listening to a lot of their stuff particularly in 1973/74/75.

I always felt that they didn't really achieve world-wide what they deserved and Manny was certainly an under-appreciated guitarist.

RIP Manny.

• Like 1

RIP Manny, a great guitar player and an influencer of mine....I was lucky enough to meet him a few times as my Mums best friend was a school friend of his and he only lived about 20 miles from my home...an absolute gent of a guy and he encouraged me to keep playing even when I felt like jacking it in. 

• Like 4