Your Top Ten Metal Bands (and then some)

On 7/5/2022 at 11:33 PM, Segue Myles said:

Hey guys! I'm having a super fun year with metal. Not listening to anything particularly new, just immersing myself in bands I know and love so much, and discovering new (to me) bands. 

I'm curious for the metalheads here, what are your absolute favourite metal bands (every genre counts).

My list is:

1. Iron Maiden

2. Trivium 

3. Judas Priest 

4. Blind Guardian

5. In Flames 

6. Rhapsody Of Fire 

7. Lacuna Coil

8. Nightwish 

9. Mastodon

10. Saxon 

Some of my all time favourite bands have dropped a little (for the moment) on this list.

Try and stick to ten!

🤔 I need to find the time to check out some of these younger bands which are keeping the Metal flag flying high :pirate::thumbsup:

16 hours ago, zepphead said:

I didn't include Rush .... I wouldn't consider them as metal ...... more hard rock. Otherwise you gotta include Zeppelin, Purple, Rainbow and a load more hard rock or classic rock outfits. But hey..... that's just my opinion.

Like a lot of rock bands, Rush dips in and out of metal but has never gone full time metal. They're a rock band to my ears.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔 I need to find the time to check out some of these younger bands which are keeping the Metal flag flying high :pirate::thumbsup:

How do you feel about screaming vocals? Trivium mixes that with really good melodic stuff. Haken is another good one if you're interested in prog metal. It doesn't get much more prog than them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

How do you feel about screaming vocals? Trivium mixes that with really good melodic stuff. Haken is another good one if you're interested in prog metal. It doesn't get much more prog than them.

I'm happy to take recommendations where screams/growls are more of an exception than the norm. Examples of where I enjoy this are Devin Townsend's non-Strapping work. The screams are actually melodic and hold a specific note and aren't there for the sake of jarring, and he mixes it in with majority clean vocals.

An example of where I'm not into unclean vocals is actually Haken's first album. I'm glad they moved away from the growls after Aquarius, because to me they were just unpleasant.

Another one who does this really well is Dave Grohl! Some Dave screams are really fun in some of the Foos work such as Wasting Light.

Edited by The Analog Cub
  • Like 2

Looks like I’m the first to mention the mighty Queensrÿche ! 😮:pirate: 

My Fav Metal bands 

( as opposed to ‘ Hard Rock ‘ ) are ..

in no particular order ..

Maiden

Queensrÿche
Dream Theater 

Metallica

Alice in Chains 

Sabbath 

Crimson Glory 

Haken

Symphony-X 

Saxon

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I love Haken 👍😎

I tried Trivium before & struggled a bit with the screaming vocal bits … I will try again though as I need to get with the times LOL ! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

I love Haken 👍😎

I tried Trivium before & struggled a bit with the screaming vocal bits … I will try again though as I need to get with the times LOL ! 

Give this one a try 

• Like 1

I'm Iffy on screaming vocals myself.  i've gotten BETTER but i still prefer clean vocals if i can get them.  a lot of times it's still just comes off as silly.

also.  i've come to realize i just prefer two kinds of metal.  prog metal and "classic metal" i guess?

i'm just not into any of these others.  Power Metal Thrash (ihad testament and Metallica but not because they're thrash.  i just like em) death meta, speed, goth, 1 fish metal 2 fish metal, blue fish metal.........ahh too many fukking labels.  it's MUSIC, lol  but the divisions of metal do bog you down.  it's ridiculous 

Mick

18 hours ago, custom55 said:

Kyuss ( Stoner, Sludge, Fuzz )

Clutch

I've been digging Kyuss a lot lately! And I can't believe I didn't make room for Clutch!

• Like 1

Doing a top 10 favorite metal band list would be a weird task, because metal is about a little less than half of all the music i listen to (the bigger half being rock, and then a small portion of what i listen to being dedicated to jazz and misc), so I'm basically just being asked to give my top 20 favorite bands and then just divide them by half and only mention the metal ones. 

These are not in any order:

Haken

Dream Theater

Dir En Grey

Vektor

Sonata Arctica

Angra

Death

Type O Negative

Heavenly

Stratovarius

I will say it's also weird to have Dream Theater on here, because they are a long-time favorite band I have to pay respect to, but I never listen to them anymore. Meanwhile I haven't even finished listening through Heavenly's entire discography, but over the past year I've been obsessed with their "Virus" album.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

Doing a top 10 favorite metal band list would be a weird task, because metal is about a little less than half of all the music i listen to (the bigger half being rock, and then a small portion of what i listen to being dedicated to jazz and misc), so I'm basically just being asked to give my top 20 favorite bands and then just divide them by half and only mention the metal ones. 

These are not in any order:

Haken

Dream Theater

Dir En Grey

Vektor

Sonata Arctica

Angra

Death

Type O Negative

Heavenly

Stratovarius

I will say it's also weird to have Dream Theater on here, because they are a long-time favorite band I have to pay respect to, but I never listen to them anymore. Meanwhile I haven't even finished listening through Heavenly's entire discography, but over the past year I've been obsessed with their "Virus" album.

it was tough for me too.  because Metal's not my fav genre either.  i guess i'm not a Metalhead, lol

Classic rock,  prog.  AOR, Straight pop.  even like new wave is more me than metal.

so i agree this was a tough list.  i really did have to think.

Mick

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it was tough for me too.  because Metal's not my fav genre either.  i guess i'm not a Metalhead, lol

Classic rock,  prog.  AOR, Straight pop.  even like new wave is more me than metal.

so i agree this was a tough list.  i really did have to think.

Mick

While I do really enjoy metal, this task made me realize my strongest favorite bands are definitely rock. Radiohead being my all-time #1 favorite, probably. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

While I do really enjoy metal, this task made me realize my strongest favorite bands are definitely rock. Radiohead being my all-time #1 favorite, probably. 

Radiohead is in my top 20......on a really good day top 10.

see that was the thing.  with this metal list like.....can't include that band.....or that one......or that one......GOD DAMN IT.:laugh:

Then i realized yea metal is limiting my love of music here.

Mick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Like a lot of rock bands, Rush dips in and out of metal but has never gone full time metal. They're a rock band to my ears.

This discussion (what is metal) always intrigues me.  Why is the album Paranoid "more metal," than, say, Hemispheres?  Or Back in Black?  If Sabbath came out today, many of the "they're not metal because," crowd would likely call them hard rock, at best.

The music I listened to in my teens (ex. Blizzard of Ozz, Back in Black, High N Dry, Number of the Beast, Screaming for Vengeance) was called "heavy metal."  Now much of it is not considered to be metal at all.

Just an observation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

This discussion (what is metal) always intrigues me.  Why is the album Paranoid "more metal," than, say, Hemispheres?  Or Back in Black?  If Sabbath came out today, many of the "they're not metal because," crowd would likely call them hard rock, at best.

The music I listened to in my teens (ex. Blizzard of Ozz, Back in Black, High N Dry, Number of the Beast, Screaming for Vengeance) was called "heavy metal."  Now much of it is not considered to be metal at all.

Just an observation.

it is a rather silly discussion because different folks ave different criteria on what Metal is.  Essentially there is no consensus. nobody agrees, lol  So it's a pointless debate.

is Queen metal?  no one knows.

is Rush?  again....no one really knows.

Mick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Just an observation.

When has Blizzard, Beast and Screaming not been considered metal? I have never heard that before.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it is a rather silly discussion because different folks ave different criteria on what Metal is.  Essentially there is no consensus. nobody agrees, lol  So it's a pointless debate.

is Queen metal?  no one knows.

is Rush?  again....no one really knows.

Mick

We should all do what treeduck does and call everything with an electric guitar metal and be done with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

We should all do what treeduck does and call everything with an electric guitar metal and be done with it.

according to him tiny tim was metal, lol

There is something to his madness there.  I never got it.  Now i think i do.

Mick

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

according to him tiny tim was metal, he has played with electric guitars on occasion  lol

Mick

26 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

When has Blizzard, Beast and Screaming not been considered metal? I have never heard that before.

My point was more that all of those albums were considered part of the same genre.  But you do hear people claim that SFV is too "commercial," to be metal, whatever that means.  Also, how is Blizzard "heavier," than Back in Black?

17 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

according to him tiny tim was metal, lol

Mick

Tiny Tim did have a unique style, didn't follow any trends and did his own thing no matter what. I guess that's pretty metal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

My point was more that all of those albums were considered part of the same genre.  But you do hear people claim that SFV is too "commercial," to be metal, whatever that means.  Also, how is Blizzard "heavier," than Back in Black?

Blizzard may not be heavier than Back In Black but it's the style it's played in that makes it metal. Blizzard has your traditional metal sound. Back In Black is more rock in how it's played and how the songs were arranged. Honestly, I have never once thought "metal" when listening to AC/DC. They have always given off a rock vibe to me. Same with Def Leppard.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

When I was a kid Van Halen was a metal band.

I'll assume retroactively that to the big metal heads at the time that was like calling Avril Lavigne punk.

In any event, I veered away from the 70's, 80's, and 90's  hard rock acts.

Otherwise my list will grow exponentially.

I will say that if the consensus is that Alice in Chains counts, then I must add Soundgarden to my list.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 2

The definition of what's "metal" has certainly evolved over time. 2112 to me is Rush's "metal" album, because honestly it was some of the heaviest, loudest music to come out during its time

Idk. I just consider metal to be loud guitars, drums, and typically some kind of aggressive vocal style. The criteria's not that extensive from my perspective.

• Like 1