Your Top Ten Metal Bands (and then some)

Here is my update, very reflective of where my tastes are right now:

1. Machine Head 

2. Rhapsody Of Fire 

3. Judas Priest 

4. Blind Guardian 

5. Iron Maiden 

6. Lamb Of God 

7. Testament

8. Saxon 

9. Mastodon 

10. Trivium 

22 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

1. Iron Maiden

2. Judas Priest

3. Dream Theater

4. Trivium

5. Mastodon

6. Machine Head

7. Metallica (thoes first 4 put them here)

8.  Testament

9.  Slayer

10. Dio

Mick

Yes but I’m surprised you can make this list right now when your brain is locked deep in Chicago!

On 7/6/2022 at 10:32 AM, JohnRogers said:

1. White Lion

2. Trixter 

3. Poison 

4. Winger

5. Queen

6. Rush

7. Steelheart

8. Warrant 

9. Firehouse

10. Nelson

I'm updating my critically acclaimed list.

1. White Lion

2. Trixter 

3. Poison 

4. Winger

5. Queen

6. Rush

7. Steelheart

8. The Call

9. Firehouse

10. Nelson

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yes but I’m surprised you can make this list right now when your brain is locked deep in Chicago!

very true......right at the moment.  Chicago is better than any metal.

They are becoming a major fav.

2nd only to Steely Dan i think (no one beats the mighty Dan, lol)

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

1. Iron Maiden

2. Judas Priest

3. Dream Theater

4. Trivium

5. Mastodon

6. Machine Head

7. Metallica (thoes first 4 put them here)

8.  Testament

9.  Slayer

10. Dio

Mick

We both forgot Avenged Sevenfold 

15 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i don't know if i'd call them top 10 material i almost did but i'm like oh yea Dio....duh, lol

Mick

Yeah I looked at my list and same

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

I'm updating my critically acclaimed list.

1. White Lion

2. Trixter 

3. Poison 

4. Winger

5. Queen

6. Rush

7. Steelheart

8. The Call

9. Firehouse

10. Nelson

Honestly? I love your taste. Aside from Trixter, The Call and Nelson, I'm fond of everything here.

I debated Rush. I think they are full of metal but are more than any single genre.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, Segue Myles said:

Here is my update, very reflective of where my tastes are right now:

1. Machine Head 

2. Rhapsody Of Fire 

3. Judas Priest 

4. Blind Guardian 

5. Iron Maiden 

6. Lamb Of God 

7. Testament

8. Saxon 

9. Mastodon 

10. Trivium 

Add In Flames dammit

On 11/28/2022 at 2:26 PM, Segue Myles said:

Honestly? I love your taste. Aside from Trixter, The Call and Nelson, I'm fond of everything here.

I debated Rush. I think they are full of metal but are more than any single genre.

I don't like to get serious here at TRF, it's very off brand for me. Nelson isn't metal, it's what ever Bon Jovi was before Jon cut his hair to go country-pop.  Neither is The Call metal, I was just obsessing over them recently. 

Included Trixter was an inside joke. Back in the day me and my mates had a fake band, HEMI. We would tell chicks on the boardwalk that Trixter often opened for us on tour...it rarely worked.

• Like 1

Ok, I will give this one a shot:

1.     Nightwish (Starting with Wish Master they had 5 straight albums I can listen to and not skip a song, then a 6th with very little to skip in it.  Sadly there last album was a flop) 

2.     Judas Priest (There 70's work was good, but their 80's albums were great, then they came back again in the 2000's with some very good albums)

3.     Iron Maiden (best stuff was in the 80's but had some ok work in the 2000's) 

4.     Def Leopard (High n Dry & Pyromania!! - Nuff Said)

5.     Savatage (just because of Hall of the Mountain King & Streets - those are 2 great albums)

6.     Helloween (Keeper of the 7 Keys Parts 1 & 2 alone get them here)

7.     Unleash The Archers (I have fallen hard for them recently - so they rank this high because I am in a honeymoon phase with them, will be interesting to see how they settle over time)

8.     Accept (Not just Balls to the Wall (a top 5 all time (non Rush) song for me but some very interesting work in recent years)

9.     Dio (his first 3 solo albums get him here)

10.  Ozzy  (the 2 Randy & 2 Jake E. Lee Albums get him here)

11.   Dokken (Breaking the Chains (the song) plus the 3 albums after that album get them here)

12.  Twisted Sister (Stay Hungry & Come Out and Play get them here)

Ok, so thats 12, not 10.  The order could vary slightly but other than the new comer (Unleash The Archers) the order is somewhat set.  They have jumbled things recently.  The order has changed through the years.  For example Twisted Sister & Dokken used to rank higher but they have fallen and Heeloween and Accept have risen significantly (esp. Accept - I used to view them as basically a one hit wonder, not so much any more as a result of the last several albums).

Some place after these 12 you would get White Snake, Great White, White Lion, Poison, The Scorpions, Killer Dwarves (just because of Stand Tall - decent album), ACDC, Black Sabbath, Queensryche, VH, and many more.

Perhaps the hardest not to rank were Rush, Zeppelin, Cream, The Who, Triumph & The Warning (another honeymoon phase band).  Rush has 2112 which is metal (esp. for 1976) but for the most part they are not metal.  More progressive hard rock.  The Who & Cream are proto metal (heck, The Who are also photo punk).  But not metal.  Zeppelin is more hard rock then metal to me.  The Warning are hard rock with metal elements - like Rush.  But not metal.  Triumph is also hard rock.

• Like 1

Today my list is:

1. Anthrax 

2. Anthrax 

3. Anthrax 

4. Anthrax 

5. Anthrax 

6. Anthrax 

7. Anthrax 

8. Anthrax 

9. Anthrax 

10. Anthrax

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Today my list is:

1. Anthrax 

2. Anthrax 

3. Anthrax 

4. Anthrax 

5. Anthrax 

6. Anthrax 

7. Anthrax 

8. Anthrax 

9. Anthrax 

10. Anthrax

Careful, that's liable to get you put on a government watchlist, lol.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Texas King said:

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden 

Judas Priest 

Dream Theater

Opeth

Megadeth

Nightwish 

Helloween 

Candlemass

Death (from Human onwards) 

HM: Motorhead

Okay we are virtually the same person based on this list

I haven't been listening to much of my standard stuff lately,  Scorpions,  Maiden and such. Though I did pull out Sabbath 13 today... been into more blues based stuff this year. All Them Witches,  Poppa Chubby (who I saw at the blues  festival this year), Indigenous. Stuff like that. Saw some things on this thread I'm happy to see mentioned, so I'm jumping in. 

Monster Magnet. Been into these guys since Superjudge. Not their best, but it got me started. 

Kyuss. Definitely. Pretty much anything Josh Homme's been involved in. I've put in for them and QOTSA many times here. Good to see Unida mentioned. I like plenty of desert rock stuff. Been into Yawning Man lately.

Been into Soundgarden for about the last three weeks straight. Love Kim Thayil's knotty, chunky,  odd timed riffs. As much as I love Badmotorfinger, I've been all about Superunknown and particularly Down On The Upside. It's like if Led Zepplin managed to make two Physical Graffiti albums in a row. Dense, textured, mindbending stuff. 

Though more expiremental and somewhat punk, the Melvins. Buzz's riffs sound like an old nail-valve Buick with open headers. A short taster would be Honey Bucket. Crover's drumming is walloping. I stood close enough to him during a show that I could have reached out and grabbed his leg while he was trying to stomp a bass drum into submission. 

Motorhead. Lotsa, lotsa Motorhead this summer. Needs no explanation here. It makes my coworkers crazy, though I think they are somewhat amused at the old guy who pounds this stuff on a regular basis.

Rush. Been listening to lots of their newer stuff for quite awhile, but lately Hemispheres has been trading punches with Soundgarden. 

Not a list of ten, but a list of what caught my attention on people's posts here and where my head has been  lately. 

• Like 1

Bread

Peters and Lee

Sade

Celine Dion

Johnny Mathis

Barry Manilow

Nana Mouskouri

The Carpenters

Shirley Bassey

Tom Jones

and because one has to go to 11....

Anita Baker

:ROCK:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

Bread

Peters and Lee

Sade

Celine Dion

Johnny Mathis

Barry Manilow

Nana Mouskouri

The Carpenters

Shirley Bassey

Tom Jones

and because one has to go to 11....

Anita Baker

:ROCK:

Metal? You talking about their hip replacements?

On 12/4/2022 at 10:53 PM, Segue Myles said:

Today my list is:

1. Anthrax 

2. Anthrax 

3. Anthrax 

4. Anthrax 

5. Anthrax 

6. Anthrax 

7. Anthrax 

8. Anthrax 

9. Anthrax 

10. Anthrax

you should just skip the weird resistance/i know better song and dance you do and just like the bands this forum KNOWS damn well you'll like:laugh::yes:

Mick

• Haha 1