Your Top Ten Metal Bands (and then some)

1 minute ago, Mosher said:

When I was a kid Van Halen was a metal band.

I'll assume retroactively that to the big metal heads at the time that was like calling Avril Lavigne punk.

In any event, I better away from the 70's, 80's, and 90's  hard rock acts.

Otherwise my list will grow exponentially.

I will say that if the consensus is that Alice in Chains counts, then I must add Soundgarden to my list.

Yep, Soundgarden is metal. Just like Alice In Chains, their riffs were straight out of the Tony Iommi playbook.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Blizzard may not be heavier than Back In Black but it's the style it's played in that makes it metal. Blizzard has your traditional metal sound. Back In Black is more rock in how it's played and how the songs were arranged. Honestly, I have never once thought "metal" when listening to AC/DC. They have always given off a rock vibe to me. Same with Def Leppard.

Tell me what you mean regarding Blizzard and Back in Black ("the style it's played, in" "how the songs were arranged,").  I have never understood how Hells Bells isn't a metal song.

6 minutes ago, Mosher said:

When I was a kid Van Halen was a metal band.

Damn straight, I know what metal is and my metal doesn’t change. Just like back in the day, I knew what a man is, what a woman is. Got loud crunchy guitars, got drums, got YAAAAAHHHHH vocals, got a dick, got a vage? I know what you are. 

Haken? Bah, I liked it better when it was called Dokken. 

52 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yep, Soundgarden is metal. Just like Alice In Chains, their riffs were straight out of the Tony Iommi playbook.

I might argue Soundgarden are more metal than AIC. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔 I need to find the time to check out some of these younger bands which are keeping the Metal flag flying high :pirate::thumbsup:

Nearly all these bands have been going at the very least CLOSE to thirty years 😂

• Haha 1

There is a similar thread to this.  If we want to list our personal twenty favorite artists, bands, and groups in, and from any categories, then we can do that.  I've made a list of my personal ten heavy metal, and hard rock bands, groups, and artists.  There can be no difference between what is heavy metal, and hard rock.  Even though Rush has been, and still is my favorite band, and group, I didn't include them because to me, they haven't been considered, and classified as heavy metal, and hard rock.  They are progressive rock like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin.  On a separate, progressive rock list, I can name ten bands, groups, and artists, which will include Rush.  On a separate, rock list, I can name ten bands, groups, and artists.

(Tie) Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Queensryche (When Geoff Tate, was the lead singer.)

Kiss (When the original members of Ace, Peter, Paul, and Gene, were together in the band, and group.)

Scorpions

Def Leppard

Van Halen

Lee Aaron

Ozzy Osbourne

Dio

Honorable mentions:

Whitesnake

Great White (When Jack Russell, was the lead singer.)

Metallica

Progressive rock:

Rush

(Tie) Yes

Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

the Alan Parsons Project

(Tie) Prism

Saga

Electric Light Orchestra

Supertramp

Rock:

U2

Triumph

the Police

Journey (When Steve Perry, was the lead singer.)

Foreigner (When Lou Gramm, was the lead singer.)

Styx (When Dennis DeYoung, was in the band, and group.)

Heart

Kim Mitchell

(Tie) Red Rider

April Wine

Honorable mentions:

Boston

Kansas

Cheap Trick

Queen

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Derek19 said:

I've made a list of my personal ten, and or eleven heavy metal, and hard rock bands, groups, and artists.  Now, there can be no difference between what is heavy metal, and hard rock.  Even though Rush has been, and still is my favorite band, and group, I didn't include them because to me, they haven't been considered, and classified as heavy metal, and hard rock.  They are progressive rock like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin.

Queensryche (When Geoff Tate, was the lead singer.)

I was of the same persuasion but after listening to the new stuff...well, it's damn good. New guy even sounds Tate-ish. 

• Like 1

The eighties was my metal listening days, didn't pursue the sub-genres too much so my list will be pretty pedestrian to a current metal aficionado 

in no particular order

Black Sabbath

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Motorhead (perhaps not really metal but somehow they are)

Dio

King Diamond/Mercyful Fate

Metallica

Megadeth

Queensryche

Ozzy Osbourne

honourable mentions....

Corrosion of Conformity

Anvil

Cathedral

Sacred Reich

Saxon

Pantera

Soundgarden

Bands that are close to metal or metal adjacent or just hard rock, but not metal....

Rainbow

Scorpions

Van Halen

Rush

Queen

Blue Oyster Cult

Deep Purple

Led Zeppelin

Aerosmith

My top three hit my teenage ears and totally transformed my musical life!

1. Iron Maiden

First year high school woodshop.  Ah, what a sight of degenerates and future inmates :biggrin:!  Guy with a beat-up Walkman and orange foam headphones bobbing his head all hour.  So I ask what he's listening to?  POWERSLAVE!  Have a listen.  When those headphones hit my ears I was sold within seconds!

2. Slayer

Introduced in my freshmen year high school again.  Hallway lockers between classes, "Dude!  You gotta hear this!"  Reign in Blood!  I didn't make it to next hour...

3. Metallica

Master of Puppets!  Someone handed me the cassette and I flipped that cassette tape at least ten times my first day of listening!  Loved the riffs and Het's vocal style!  God I loved my first year of high school!

4. Ozzy

5. Judas Priest

6. Anthrax

7. Exodus

8. Forbidden

9. Sacred Reich

10.  Kreator

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Looks like I’m the first to mention the mighty Queensrÿche ! 😮:pirate: 

My Fav Metal bands 

( as opposed to ‘ Hard Rock ‘ ) are ..

in no particular order ..

Maiden

Queensrÿche
Dream Theater 

Metallica

Alice in Chains 

Sabbath 

Crimson Glory 

Haken

Symphony-X 

Saxon

I must also give honoury mentions   to…

Ozzy Osbourne ( esp. with Randy )

Megadeth

Kings-X

Dio

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
Typo
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:03 PM, Segue Myles said:

Nearly all these bands have been going at the very least CLOSE to thirty years 😂

Yep Segue I confess I’m very much out of touch LOL  … and have a lot of catching up to try & do !

😮🙃:thumbsup:

I’ve glanced at your profile out of curiosity Segue

to see you were born in ‘90 so you are currently just 31 years young. 

I’m 53 so I’m 21 years older than your good self.

When I was your current age of 31 in year 2000 :old: I got into a new band at the time called Muse.
The Muse guys were born in ‘77-‘78 so I’m nearly a decade older than they are.

I also really like Haken , and I’m even more a far bit older than they are ! :LOL:

Time moves in mysterious ways to quote , a band we both adore , Toto .. and it’s true what they say every decade , as you get older seems to pass quicker. ( My forties seemed to fly by and I can’t believe I’m already 53… however when I see the likes of 74 years old Brian May & 72 years old Roger Taylor on stage , and still playing very well .. like I did just a couple of weeks ago at the Queen & Adam Lambert gig in Birmingham , UK .. it inspires me to keep playing the🎸and that as long as one is lucky enough to avoid any major health issues , you’re never too old to enjoy music😎:ROCK::pirate:

I’m curious to know how many ‘ young(er) ‘ 

( i.e 10 years young than you for example :LOL: ) or brand new upcoming metal bands , are the TRF young guns such as yourself and EP , into ? 🤔

Would an older Rush fan such as myself like them ?

or would that maybe too much of a leap LOL 

seeing as I’m already decades behind the times !

🙃

The  ‘ younger ‘ Metal bands on your metal gods list which I was referring to , I’d already heard of by name , thanks to guys like your good self on the TRF :notworthy: but I haven’t as yet found the time to properly listen to them. 

( I currently work a 11-12 hour day 😮 .. in an environment where I can’t listen to music whilst I work unfortunately 😕 ) 

plus have other commitments so it’s is hard for me to find the time 😧

At first I couldn’t believe that what I labelled as younger bands ( I bet that all these bands members all are younger than me LOL .. so my 

terminology isn’t totally wrong 😜) are as you claim are nearly 30 years old .

I though Segue must surely be exaggerating.

However .. 

I’ve just done some research on Wikipedia to find

that overall yep Segues you’re right 

Trivium -  1st album releases in 2003 , 

a mere LOL 19 years ago ( I personally go by year of release of the first album rather than when the band was formed.

( How many fans can honestly say they were aware of them in when they started out in ‘99 ? … Lerxst always says Rush ‘ formed ‘ in ‘68 … when Alex & Geddy were just 15 ! .. but the debut album wasn’t released until ‘74 ) 

Blind Guardian - début album ‘88 … 34 years ago !!

Gulp !!! How can this be 😱

In Flames - debut album ‘94 …a mere 28 years ago

Rhapsody (of Fire) - ‘98 .. 24 years ago 

Lacuna Coil - ‘99 … 23 years ago 

spring chickens then ! 

Nightwish - ‘97 … 25 years ago 

Anyway , it might take me the next 30 years LOL 

but I will now start checking them all out !  😎

Great Topic Segues btw 👍🙂

Who would make it onto your list of 

Top Ten AOR/Melodic Hard Rock bands ? 🤔

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
Spelling !
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Yep Segue I confess I’m very much out of touch LOL  … and have a lot of catching up try & do !

When I was your current age of 31 in year 2000 :old: I got into a new band at the time called Muse. The Muse guys were born in ‘77-‘78 so I’m nearly a decade older than they are.

I also really like Haken , and I’m even more a far bit older than they are ! :LOL:

Time moves in mysterious ways to quote , a band we both adore , Toto .. and it’s true what they say every decade , as you get older seems to pass quicker. ( My forties seemed to fly by and I can’t believe I’m already 53… however when I see the likes of 74 years old Brian May & 72 years old Roger Taylor on stage , and still playing very well .. like I did just a couple of weeks ago at the Queen & Adam Lambert gig in Birmingham , UK .. it inspires me  to keep playing the🎸and that as long as one is lucky enough to avoid any major health issues , you’re never too old to enjoy music😎:ROCK::pirate:

( i.e 10 years young than you for example :LOL: ) or brand new upcoming metal bands , are the TRF young guns such as yourself and EP , into ? 🤔

🙃

The  ‘ younger ‘ Metal bands on your metal gods list which I was referring to , I’d already heard of by name , thanks to guys like your good self on the TRF :notworthy: but I haven’t as yet found the time to properly listen to them. 

( I currently work a 11-12 hour day 😮 .. in an environment where I can’t listen to music whilst I work unfortunately 😕 ) 

At first I couldn’t believe that what I labelled as younger bands ( I bet that all these bands members all are younger than me LOL .. so my 

However .. 

a mere LOL 19 years ago ( I personally go by year of release of the first album rather than when the band was formed.

( How many fans can honestly say they were aware of them in when they started out in ‘99 ? … Lerxst always says Rush ‘ formed ‘ in ‘68 … when Alex & Geddy were just 15 ! .. but the debut album wasn’t released until ‘74 ) 

spring chickens then ! 

Just got to say, this was very entertaining to read! Also, yeah Muse! :ROCK: 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Just got to say, this was very entertaining to read! Also, yeah Muse! :ROCK: 

Thanks EP ! 👍🙂

• Like 2

Just now, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Thanks EP ! 👍🙂

I remember EP that Queen are your number 1 fav band even ahead of :rush: ! 😮😜

…. and was wondering on your opinion of 

Adam Lambert ? 🤔

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

I remember EP that Queen are your number 1 fav band even ahead of :rush: ! 😮😜

…. and was wondering on your opinion of 

Adam Lambert ? 🤔

He's brilliant. I saw Queen + Adam Lambert in 2018 in Nashville, TN.  My first and so far only time seeing the band. There's no one better suited to the very unique position than Adam.  Vocally he can do anything in the Queen catalogue justice, without sounding trying to mimic Freddie.  There were even a couple songs I thought he sang perhaps better than Freddie did on the record (Who Wants To Live Forever comes to mind).  Throughout it all though he makes it very clear that he is just a massive Queen fan, like anyone in the audience, who's been given the incredible opportunity to help Brain and Roger keep this music alive and bring it to other fans around the world.  He never once comes anywhere close to stepping on Freddie's legacy, and that's what makes it work. As a performer he's exactly as theatrical and bold as Queen's music requires, but as a person he's incredibly humble and respectful of the situation. I do hope to see them again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Yep Segue I confess I’m very much out of touch LOL  … and have a lot of catching up to try & do !

When I was your current age of 31 in year 2000 :old: I got into a new band at the time called Muse.

Time moves in mysterious ways to quote , a band we both adore , Toto .. and it’s true what they say every decade , as you get older seems to pass quicker. ( My forties seemed to fly by and I can’t believe I’m already 53… however when I see the likes of 74 years old Brian May & 72 years old Roger Taylor on stage , and still playing very well .. like I did just a couple of weeks ago at the Queen & Adam Lambert gig in Birmingham , UK .. it inspires me to keep playing the🎸and that as long as one is lucky enough to avoid any major health issues , you’re never too old to enjoy music😎:ROCK::pirate:

🙃

However .. 

spring chickens then ! 

I consider good ol Segue one of my very very best friends (we met in 2012 not in person yet but that means nothing.  i love the nut ball)  and he has opened my eyes/ears to so much metal i didn't know being stuck in the US.  talk to him one day.  he'll point you to some good stuff.

now thread hijack my top 10 AOR/melodic rock bands (this i CAN do friend)

1. Little River Band

2. Toto

3. Journey

4. Survivor

5. Foreigner

6. 80's Heart

7. Pages(Richard Page's of Mr. Mister's first band.  Check em out)

8. Styx

9. Work Of Art

10.  Enchant (if tou have not heard these guys.  they're technically prog-ish but their base influence IS AOR.....play them and tell me i'm wrong, lol

Mick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

I consider good ol Segue one of my very very best friends (we met in 2012 not in person yet but that means nothing.  i love the nut ball)  and he has opened my eyes/ears to so much metal i didn't know being stuck in the US.  talk to him one day.  he'll point you to some good stuff.

1. Little River Band

2. Toto

3. Journey

4. Survivor

5. Foreigner

6. 80's Heart

8. Styx

9. Work Of Art

10.  Enchant (if tou have not heard these guys.  they're technically prog-ish but their base influence IS AOR.....play them and tell me i'm wrong, lol

Mick

Some of this does not surprise me at all, but a few of these names I don’t recognize! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Some of this does not surprise me at all, but a few of these names I don’t recognize! 

your boy's AOR game is on point. lol  Check out Pages.  kinda like early Toto Mixed with Steely Dan.

their first album is awesome.

Mick

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

1. Little River Band

2. Toto

3. Journey

4. Survivor

5. Foreigner

6. 80's Heart

8. Styx

9. Work Of Art

Mick

Cool list 👍🙂😎

I’m only just now … thanks to you Mick :notworthy:👍… getting into Little River Band so that whilst they’re good .. I can’t really put them ahead of Toto & Journey
🤔 I’ll ponder this a little longer and then post my Top 10 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🙃

However .. 

spring chickens then ! 

Oooh top ten AOR/melodic rock:

1. Toto (AOR)

2. Blue Oyster Cult (metal/hard rock)

3. Survivor (AOR)

4. Styx (AOR/Pomp rock)

5. Kansas (prog/AOR)

6. Alter Bridge (hard rock)

7. Enchant (blend of AOR/Prog metal)

8. Alan Parsons Project (sort of a stretch, not sure what they are really)

9. Savatage (metal/hard rock)

10. Within Temptation (blur the lines between hard rock and metal as well. Possibly the best female singer in the hard rock/metal genre. Think Kate Bush mixed with Pat Benetar. Iron Maiden are big big BIG fans)

Special mention goes to Journey

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1