Geddy's mom identified by AI in old Holocaust photos

blueschica

I've been to Auschwitz on a school trip when I was in first grade, and the first thing you notice as soon as you walk in, all the colors disappear. Even the sky turns gray. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

I've been to Auschwitz on a school trip when I was in first grade, and the first thing you notice as soon as you walk in, all the colors disappear. Even the sky turns gray. 

I've seen photos that look the same, somehow. Some places remain sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueschica said:

I've seen photos that look the same, somehow. Some places remain sad.

Yeah, but those are black-and-whites anyway. Live effect gives you an even bigger pause. You arrive at Oswiecim, and it's a town like any other ( they have a pretty good hockey team ) The concentration camp itself, a much different story. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

When I read the headline I thought Al Lifeson? Oh, Al...

You're not too far off base.  Alex is widely revered for his advanced facial recognition/name recall capabilities.  You've likely seen him at concerts pointing out people in the crowd to Geddy:  "There's Andy from the Hold Your Fire show in Dayton!  And, hey, there's Big Jim from the Caress of Steel show in Fort Wayne!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

The same thing happened the other day when a Rush friend posted a photo of her cat on Facebook  :biggrin:  She said "Here's Big Al!"  Great name but I was looking around for a photo of Alex Lifeson!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I did the exact same thing. Thought for sure Geddy and Alex were just looking through some photos in a museum or something, and Alex squinted real hard and said, "hey Dirk, isn't that your mom?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I did the exact same thing. Thought for sure Geddy and Alex were just looking through some photos in a museum or something, and Alex squinted real hard and said, "hey Dirk, isn't that your mom?"

Same here!

On 7/1/2022 at 9:59 PM, blackhawkrush said:

Yeah, but those are black-and-whites anyway. Live effect gives you an even bigger pause. You arrive at Oswiecim, and it's a town like any other ( they have a pretty good hockey team ) The concentration camp itself, a much different story. 

Yes, I remember when we visited it a few years ago having an overwhelming feeling of great sadness. It left a big impression on me.

• Like 3

This is slightly random, but this news reminds me about the rumors that Facebook was partially funded to perfect AI photo recognition. I remember being super leery of FB when it started because they wanted so much personal info, and the early versions would ask for user submitted info about photos uploaded.

There's a link on this forum to Manya/Mary Weinrib's personal account of her time in the camp, it's worth listening to....

• Like 1