Since the new Porcupine Tree album has just been released, maybe it's time for a new Porcupine Tree favourite album poll.

treeduck

What's your favourite Porcupine Tree album?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Porcupine Tree album?

• On the Sunday of Life... (1992)
    • Up the Downstair (1993)
    • The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)
    • Signify (1996)
    • Stupid Dream (1999)
    • Lightbulb Sun (2000)
    • In Absentia (2002)
    • Deadwing (2005)
    • Fear of a Blank Planet (2007)
    • The Incident (2009)
    • Closure/Continuation (2022)

What's your favourite Porcupine Tree album?

I was thinking about this and initially I thought my favourite was going to be Deadwing or In Absentia or Fear of a Blank Planet, but after careful consideration mine is LIGHTBULB SUN!

• Like 1

I have heard In Absentia enough times to say I like it, but not enough times to be forever in love with it. I think I've listened to Deadwing and FOABP about once each in the past 10 years. Something I do hope to remedy sooner than later. Haven't heard anything else by them.

At the moment, the new album for me is upper tier. FOABP and In Absentia transcend anything else they've put out, but C/C falls in the second tier with Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun for me. It's better than The Incident, which the band have expressed as something they would've rather not ended on.

The new album requires patience. There aren't really any catchy hooks or melodies like you'd find on In Absentia, but I'm finding a lot that I really like on it, especially how much growth you can hear from Steven and Gavin in their projects during the hiatus, and Richard's expanded role on a lot of these songs.

The album is leaving me wanting more because I feel like they can go further, but if this is truly it, it's a better ending than The Incident was.

Edited by The Analog Cub
  • Like 3

Deadwing to me is the most consistent and the best use of guest performers. Adrian belew and Mikael akerfeldt . Sorry Alex !

Deadwing, shallow   halo all kick ass.

Something about Lazarus speaks to me and is a pt fave of mine. Arriving somewhere but not here is my #1  fave pt tune

• Like 2

It's very difficult to rank their albums, each has its own personality.  In Absentia has become my favorite over time, but it's not an indictment on the other albums of that era (Deadwing, FoaBP, Lightbulb Sun).  I agree with The Analog Club, the new album falls somewhere among these top tier.  It's yet another unique release.

Of the later albums, The Incident is the only one I rarely visit anymore.  It has some great individual tracks, but on a whole it's a tough play from beginning to end which is how I ingest music (albums, not tracks).

Edited by stoopid

1. FOABP/Nil Recurring

2. Deadwing

3. In Absentia

4. Closure & Continuation

5. Lightbulb Sun

6. Stupid Dream

7. The Incident

8. Signify 

9. The Sky Moves Sideways 

10. On The Sunday of Life

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:48 AM, tangy said:

Something about Lazarus speaks to me and is a pt fave of mine. Arriving somewhere but not here is my #1  fave pt tune

Both absolute gems, I miss that kind of quality from PT now.

0 votes for Signify so far, I'm surprised it hasn't won the heart of anyone here.

i consider it to be in the lesser half of my favorites from them but it's an amazing album and i still don't know of any other work that mixes hard rock with psychedelic as well as that album does. one of my favorite albums to listen to from front to back for sure, great experience with lots of peaks and valleys.

• Like 1

Just a thought.  Maybe Steve should take YYNOT out on tour.

How f***ing cool would that be? 

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

I wonder how many here that say "Fear of A Blank Planet" is their favourite PT album is because Lifeson plays on it?

It's subjective as is any art but I rate it no better than 4th regardless of who plays any of the music.

The thing is, when one of the guest musicians on an album also happens to be from one of your favorite bands, you’re like to enjoy the record that much more not only because it’s one of your favorite musicians, but perhaps more importantly because there’s a good reason that musician is one of your favorites. In other words, I doubt it’s as much about Alex’s presence as it is about the way he plays and what that adds to the album.

8 hours ago, BastillePark said:

I wonder how many here that say "Fear of A Blank Planet" is their favourite PT album is because Lifeson plays on it?

It's subjective as is any art but I rate it no better than 4th regardless of who plays any of the music.

I'm not one of them. Honestly forget he plays on there sometimes. 

I think it's simply got the best songs and sound.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

I'm not one of them. Honestly forget he plays on there sometimes. 

I think it's simply got the best songs and sound.

Same. Lifeson being on Anesthetize barely factors into my decision. Though he does perform one of my favorite solos of his. I think the album is such a strong, varied piece of work. It's about as thematically on point as In Absentia or Hand Cannot Erase. 

Doesn't hurt that Robert Fripp is also on Way Out of Here too. 

• Like 1

Love Signify. Haven't  listened to Deadwing in a long time. I think I'll go rectify that.

• Like 2