Battle of the decade! - Early 70s (1970-1974) Preliminaries

Slime

Same concept as my previous thread, with a little re-tooling 

Five years enter, one will reign supreme!

Spoiler

(CURRENT TALLY)

1970 - 8 points

1971 - 28 points

1972 - 3 points

1973 - 6 points

1974- 9 points

(current tally - June 22 2022)

1971 absolutely crushing it!

(of course let me know if my math is wrong!)

What is the best year for music from the early 1970s?

We're talking albums, live shows and live recordings - what year rules the roost??

Nominate THREE years from this timespan by giving the following number of points

#1 best year (first best) - 5 points

#2 best year (second best) - 3 points

#3 best year (third best) - 1 point

An example ballot would look like this

My #1 vote - 1972 (5 points)

My #2 vote - 1974 (3 points)

My #3 vote - 1970 (1 point)

After enough votes are cast, I'll tally up all the points and pit the top four vote getters against each other.

Least number of votes from preliminary five is automatically eliminated

The four remaining will be seeded a la the NHL playoffs (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3) head to head.

Winners of that head to head round will face each other in the Final Round, with one year being declared the victor!

(I will keep a tally of current points at the top of this post, editing as needed)

Edited by Slime

I don't want to diminish your effort here, but this is more like a GRE problem than an internet poll!

Still, I'll try to keep up, so:

#1 vote: 1971 

#2 vote: 1974

#3 vote 1970

• Haha 1

In my initial effort these were listed in 1, 2, 3 order, but after I was done and had time to reflect on 1977, it jumped to the top.  1976 stayed in the middle as a nod to live releases.

3. 1971 (1pt)

My first thought was that it is hard to top this year with rock classics like Zep IV, Who's Next, Tapestry, Aqualung, and Sticky Fingers.  A banner year for classic rock.  But in compiling the other lists, I realize 1971 doesn't have  the greatest variety of music.

2. 1976 (3pts)

Powered by epic live albums Frampton Comes Alive, Wings Over America, and All The World's A Stage, 1976 also featured acts' signature studio releases like Destroyer, Songs in the Key of Life, Hotel California, Boston, Jailbreak, Leftoverture, Dreamboat Annie...

1. 1977 (5pts)

For me, the greatest year of the 70's in terms of generating an incredibly eclectic collection of master releases with Rumours, Never Mind the Bullocks, Talking Heads 77, Animals, Aja, Bat Out Of Hell, Let There Be Rock, Saturday Night Fever, Heroes, The Stranger, Book of Dreams...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goose said:

In my initial effort these were listed in 1, 2, 3 order, but after I was done and had time to reflect on 1977, it jumped to the top.  1976 stayed in the middle as a nod to live releases.

3. 1971 (1pt)

My first thought was that it is hard to top this year with rock classics like Zep IV, Who's Next, Tapestry, Aqualung, and Sticky Fingers.  A banner year for classic rock.  But in compiling the other lists, I realize 1971 doesn't have  the greatest variety of music.

2. 1976 (3pts)

Powered by epic live albums Frampton Comes Alive, Wings Over America, and All The World's A Stage, 1976 also featured acts' signature studio releases like Destroyer, Songs in the Key of Life, Hotel California, Boston, Jailbreak, Leftoverture, Dreamboat Annie...

1. 1977 (5pts)

For me, the greatest year of the 70's in terms of generating an incredibly eclectic collection of master releases with Rumours, Never Mind the Bullocks, Talking Heads 77, Animals, Aja, Bat Out Of Hell, Let There Be Rock, Saturday Night Fever, Heroes, The Stranger, Book of Dreams...

You make a strong case for '77, but I thought this was just the first half of the '70s? Oh, man, I knew I was confused by the instructions!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

You make a strong case for '77, but I thought this was just the first half of the '70s? Oh, man, I knew I was confused by the instructions!

You actually read that?  :joker:

Well, I guess I have to amend mine...

1) 1971 (5pts)  see previous post

2) 1972 (3pts) Ziggy the Exile ate a Thick Harvest Peach Close to the Edge of the Honky Chateau

3) 1973 (3pts)  cuz dark side

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, custom55 said:

1 -1971 *** A killer year

2- 1970

3 - 1973

A#1 album from each of my top 3 years.

1971 - Who's Next

1970 - Live at Leeds

1973 - DSOTM

• Like 1

Top score to 1970. Two Sabbath albums, Steppenwolf 7, Grand Funk Railroad, Who Live At Leeds... the list goes on.

1974... BOC's Secret Treaties, the beginning of Rush and Judas Priest.

It's hard to choose, really. The 70's were such a rich time for music. Maybe 1972 on the strength of Sabbath's Vol. 4. BOC's first album is pretty good.

The last half of the decade is gonna be harder, I think.