RIP Jim Seals, 80, half of Seals and Crofts

I have Jim Seals to thank for a vexation during my childhood years:  My hometown's public swimming pool always played a local radio station over the PA during those idyllic summer days.  One of the songs occasionally heard was 'Summer Breeze'.  I'd hear that lyric, ". . . blowing through the jasmine in my mind".  This I found baffling.  "Did he sing, 'blowing through the jasmine in my mind?'"  "What does that even mean?!"  "How and why would a person have jasmine in their mind?"  Brothers and friends could offer no answer.

• Like 4

RIP, Jim Seals. :rose:  Thinking of their music brings back a great summer week at church camp, Diamond Girl was always on the radio. Nice memories. Thanks for the music. :heart:

• Like 3

From songfacts.com

Blowing through the jasmine in my mind"? Long before it was a Disney princess, jasmine was a kind of flower that blooms in the summer. Also good for tea, Seals & Crofts use it to bring about feelings of contentment and harmony in this song, which is a feel-good classic about enjoying some simple pleasures in life with the ones you love. Jim Seals explained in 1972: "We operate on a different level, we try to create images, impressions and trains of thought in the minds of our listeners."

• Like 3

4 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

From songfacts.com

Blowing through the jasmine in my mind"? Long before it was a Disney princess, jasmine was a kind of flower that blooms in the summer. Also good for tea, Seals & Crofts use it to bring about feelings of contentment and harmony in this song, which is a feel-good classic about enjoying some simple pleasures in life with the ones you love. Jim Seals explained in 1972: "We operate on a different level, we try to create images, impressions and trains of thought in the minds of our listeners."

I loved that song and album a lot.  I also heard that the reference to jasmine was a nod to their prophet Baha’u’llah's favorite tea.  I owned several of their albums and then bought tapes.  In the summer of 75, I had a rough time during a separation and I literally listened to them every night for several weeks.  The music was soothing and lovely to listen to.  I am sad to hear Seals has passed on.  Bless you sir and your friend Crofts for the wonderful music.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

From songfacts.com

I wondered if they were ever approached by the makers of Febreeze to use their song for a TV commercial. You know the scented aerosol spray.

Summer febreeze!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tangy said:

I wondered if they were ever approached by the makers of Febreeze to use their song for a TV commercial. You know the scented aerosol spray.

Summer febreeze!

I'd like to hope they were and turned them down cold.

• Like 3