TURKEY has officially changed its name because the English meaning "genuinely annoys" President Erdogan

treeduck

Turkey officially changes name at UN to Türkiye

United Nations says request from Ankara has been accepted with immediate effect

Turkey’s government has sent a letter to the United Nations formally requesting that it be referred to as Türkiye, the state-run news agency has reported.

The move is seen as part of a push by Ankara to rebrand the country and dissociate it from the bird of the same name and negative connotations associated with it.

Anadolu Agency said Stephane Dujarric, spokesperson to UN secretary general António Guterres, confirmed receipt of the letter from Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, the Turkish foreign minister. The agency quoted Dujarric as saying that the name change had become effective “from the moment” the letter was received. Dujarric told the Washington Post: “It is not uncommon for us to receive such requests.”

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government has been pressing for the internationally recognised name Turkey to be changed to Türkiye (tur-key-YAY) as it is spelled and pronounced in Turkish. The country called itself Türkiye in 1923 after its declaration of independence.

In December 2021, Erdoğan ordered the use of Türkiye to better represent Turkish culture and values, including demanding that “Made in Türkiye” be used instead of “Made in Turkey” on exported products. Turkish ministries also began using Türkiye in official documents.

The government this year released a promotional video as part of its attempts to change its name in English. The video shows tourists from across the world saying “Hello Türkiye” at famous destinations.

The Turkish presidency’s directorate of communications said it launched the campaign “to promote more effectively the use of ‘Türkiye’ as the country’s national and international name on international platforms”.

It was not clear whether the name, with a letter that doesn’t exist in the English alphabet, will catch on widely abroad. In 2016, the Czech Republic officially registered its short-form name, Czechia, and while some international institutions use it, many still refer to the country by its longer name.

Turkey’s English-language state broadcaster TRT World has switched to using Türkiye although the word Turkey slips in, used by journalists still trying to get used to the change.

TRT World explained the decision in an article earlier this year, saying Googling “Turkey” brings up a “a muddled set of images, articles, and dictionary definitions that conflate the country with Meleagris – otherwise known as the turkey, a large bird native to North America – which is famous for being served on Christmas menus or Thanksgiving dinners.”

The network continued: “Flip through the Cambridge Dictionary and ‘turkey’ is defined as ‘something that fails badly’ or ‘a stupid or silly person’.”

TRT World argued that Turks prefer their country to be called Türkiye, in “keeping with the country’s aims of determining how others should identify it”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/03/turkey-changes-name-to-turkiye-as-other-name-is-for-the-birds

I think they`ve done the right thing. Homer Simpson has been very clear that "a turkey is a bad person", for example in the phrase "Quit jiving me, turkey". Erdogan knows his telly.

• Like 1

Türkiye for the girls and

Türkiye for the boys

My favorite kind of pants

Are corduroys

Gobble gobble goo and

Gobble gobble gickel

I wish Türkiye

Only cost a nickel

Oh I love Türkiye on Thanksgiving! 

• Like 2

Türkiye (not Turkey), eh?  Hmm.  Well.  I dunno.  This could be a bit of a challenge.

Lyrically, it lacks that certain . . .  something.  A previous Turkish name alteration offered a bit more substance with which to work.  But it's gonna be tough to wring a catchy novelty song from this most recent change.

• Haha 1

I still can't adjust to calling Zaire the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and we have to deal with this Burma/Myanmar nonsense. It's too much to take.

And what happened to Rhodesia? Umm... never mind. We shouldn't talk about that one. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, HomesickAlien said:

I still can't adjust to calling Zaire the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and we have to deal with this Burma/Myanmar nonsense. It's too much to take.

And what happened to Rhodesia? Umm... never mind. We shouldn't talk about that one. 

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HomesickAlien said:

Rhodesia's name change was a colossal conundrum.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HomesickAlien said:

8 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Rhodesia's name change was a colossal conumdrum.

I was wondering how that post would land. Once you hit submit it's too late to pull up for another go-around. 

Well, I know exceedingly little about Turkey the country or the people who run it, and I often forget that it's the country that has Istanbul in it, because my mind usual just jumps to: "oh yeah, the one named after the bird."  So....sure. Türkiye, no prob. 3 syllables, none of them too hard to pronounce, and honestly Turkey is a dumb name for a country anyway.

How's Hungary feeling?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well, I know exceedingly little about Turkey the country or the people who run it, and I often forget that it's the country that has Istanbul in it, because my mind usual just jumps to: "oh yeah, the one named after the bird."  So....sure. Türkiye, no prob. 3 syllables, none of them too hard to pronounce, and honestly Turkey is a dumb name for a country anyway.

How's Hungary feeling?

The main thing I associate with Turkey is the character Bald Bull from Mike Tyson's Punch Out on the original Nintendo. He was billed from Istanbul.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:51 PM, invisible airwave said:

I see Cranberry and Yam weren't an option. :laugh:

Come to think of it, Yam sounds like a great name for a planet.

Like some run down, backwards agricultural world with a failed industry. Strip mining took away all the planet's natural resources 5000 years ago. 

• Haha 1