Is Rush your favourite band?

Slime

Is Rush your favourite band?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush your favourite band?

• Absolutely without a doubt #1! Nobody else comes even comes close!
    • Rush is #1, but there are other bands that are close!
    • Not #1, but definitely in my top 5!
    • Not #1 - maybe a top 10 band for me, or lower

Yes, 100%. I listen to a lot of other stuff but I've known for over a decade that Rush is my favorite band. Their lyrics speak to me on a very deep level, their musicianship is top notch, and the brotherhood between the three of them, as well as their dedication to their craft, is palpable. A world class one-of-a-kind band.

• Like 1

Overall yes, but if you were to break apart Rush's catalog by different stages of their career they would be down the list.  If I simplify anything debut to Power Windows they're number one.  Anything Hold your Fire to Clockwork Angels not so much.  Live performance they will always be the tops!

Some might even say some of their later out put is #2???  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They have been for over 40 years.  Now that it's over, I don't listen to them as much. Intentionally keeping them on the back burner while I dig other things.

But when I put them on, it all comes back.  Just how awesome they were.  In every era. 

Edited by grep
grammar
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Pressure/Hopenosis said:

Overall yes, but if you were to break apart Rush's catalog by different stages of their career they would be down the list.  If I simplify anything debut to Power Windows they're number one.  Anything Hold your Fire to Clockwork Angels not so much.  Live performance they will always be the tops!

Some might even say some of their later out put is #2???  :biggrin:

I wouldn't go that far.   Presto and Snakes, maybe.

Top five, but at this point mainly due to nostalgic reasons. I can't remember the last time I went out of my way to listen to Rush.

The last Rush song I heard was The Big Money, and that was in the car with my brother. He turned to me and asked if it was a new song.  :laugh:

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Nope actually not even in my top 20 at this stage.  

i had  a three year period......2012-15 where rush was my obsession......i think i burned out.

Mick

One of these days you'll be pulling a Segue and walking right back into the arms of a past musical love!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

One of these days you'll be pulling a Segue and walking right back into the arms of a past musical love!

well it's been 4 years since i loved them.  played Moving pictures a few months ago.  i was bored out of my skull so not yet:rofl1:

Mick

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Nope actually not even in my top 20 at this stage.  

i had  a three year period......2012-15 where rush was my obsession......i think i burned out.

Mick

I've gone through phases like this too where I didn't listen to them at all for a while. After a period of time, even a few years, I always come back. I think the same will happen with you or at least I hope so...I certainly see you on this forum often enough so there must be something keeping you here.

Edited by Charlotte7598
  • Like 2

No other band has given me the highs that RUSH has, and still does.  Album-wise I still play Caress, Hemi, Waves, Signals and Grace and Presto fairly often.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, goose said:

No other band has given me the highs that RUSH has, and still does.  Album-wise I still play Caress, Hemi, Waves, Signals and Grace and Presto fairly often.

Yay Presto!

• Like 1

They are not #1 for me anymore....likely in the top 5 (which is how I voted), but sometimes they are further down.

BUT, Rush was #1 when that sort of thing was really important - for me, from about the age of 10 or 11 until my early 20s.  It's completely formative and no other band or artist is going to ever have that effect on me ever again.

I've become much broader in what I listen to as I've aged...and Rush would likely be the heaviest music that I still like.  I'm more into jazz and the absurdly big umbrella of "singer/songwriter" now than I am rock music.  I still listen to rock of course, but "new" bands do not tend to stick with me for the long haul anymore.  I saw someone post something about Those Crooked Vultures recently on here... I had forgotten they existed!  When that first record came out I bought it and liked it...but I have no interest in hearing it again.  I feel that way about almost all new rock.  It just doesn't go in very deep for me for some reason, where as Laura Marling or William Doyle or Cassandra Jenkins do.

But Rush still does...and I go through phases now of it being in and out of my life.  The recent MP 40th release made me listen to the live show from TO...and it was a joy...and it connects like few other bands do for me.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 8:52 PM, goose said:

Ooh, I was with you right up to Presto! 

• Haha 1

For those of you who don't have Rush as #1, are you also on forums like this one for other bands? This is my only music forum, but I assume there's a Steely Dan or Genesis or Van Halen version of TRF, so are you polyforumist, or is this it because the people here are so obviously cool?

:sundog:

On 6/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, Nova Carmina said:

For those of you who don't have Rush as #1, are you also on forums like this one for other bands? This is my only music forum, but I assume there's a Steely Dan or Genesis or Van Halen version of TRF, so are you polyforumist, or is this it because the people here are so obviously cool?

:sundog:

This is the only music forum I'm actively (and I'm not really that active) a part of.  I did spend some time on a Bob Dylan forum some years ago, but just kind of drifted away from it.  I poked around on a Genesis board for a bit, but it wasn't very active.  There's lots of more recent music that I like that I wouldn't dream of finding a forum for.  I do find that Rush is a very interesting band to discuss because of their focus on musicianship and the lyrical content - some music that I love doesn't have that intricacy to it.

• Like 1

I thought I replied to this, but no.

Yes, absolutely they are my number one favourite band.

I like/love lots of other bands, but Rush has endured the decades by simply being Rush. And honestly, that counts for a lot in my books.

19 studio albums, about forty albums that mostly sold well, not much media play, just musicians and philanthropists that deserve every single accolade ever given. So other bands, also? 

Not the same, because of the Canadian minimalist roots and challenge. Just pure innocent awesomeness.

And the childhood and youthful years of filling my ears with rock noise, but perhaps the most perfect noise there was on hand. 

And the artwork! That has to count more than, say, the Beatles, The Who, erm...fishing here...sorry.

I just really, really love(d) these guys. 

Rush is the number one rock band for me. I found them in my adulthood, having been listening to a wide variety of music. I still do, and I'm constantly open for finding new music that inspires me. I don't care about genres. I've loved music since I was a kid, and been super passionate about it since my early teens.

Finding Rush was very surprising because I didn't have any big favorite rock bands earlier. A lot of the music I have been digging has pretty much been in the margins or has been based on other kinds of concepts - accordion players in zydeco & cajun, blues guitarists, other instrumentalists, early rhythm'n'blues shouters, jazz bands, or artists with a group of super skilled musicians backing them (like Little Richard, James Brown).

As I had spent most of my time somewhere on the back roads and front porches the idea of a stadium rock band was something quite new to me, personally, as I found Rush. But essentially, Rush is not about big audiences. Rush is the #1 of all rock bands because of their musicianship, musical content, feel and imagination. I love their whole catalogue.

Overall, lyrics in music have never been so relevant for me. I prefer rhythm, harmony, sound and energy to stories. In music there has to be frenzy, something wild. Sometimes it's subtle and restraint, sometimes lound and bombastic. No matter if it's Charlie Feathers singing I Guess I'm Crazy, Sam Baker moaning You Can't See the Blood, Vulfpeck jamming in Dean Town, or Gary Moore playing live almost anything, it's the energy combined with a lot of skill and beauty that attract me.

Edited by Sun & Moon
additions
  • Like 1

I'm sure I'm not alone in my view:

I have several bands that are equally number 1, and they rotate their hierarchy as the mood fits.

No option covered a tie, so even though they are my 'favorite' sometimes, I voted to 5

• Like 1