Ronnie Hawkins, Canadian music legend, has died at 87

dream & vapour

The primary Rush connection here being Ronnie's former abode at Stoney Lake, northeast of Peterborough.  The boys did much of the writing/threshing out of Moving Pictures there before proceeding on to Le Studio.

Here's a view of the place.  You can see (sort of) the barn to the right, obscured by a tree.  Turn 180° to see Stoney Lake.  Lovely in the summertime.  Well, I presume it's lovely in the summertime.

https://goo.gl/maps/29u2mx6Dvqfrm9iE6

Edited by dream & vapour
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this.  Another well-known musician has passed away this week.  What another loss it is.  He will be missed, and remembered.  My condolences, and sympathies, to his family, and friends.  R.I.P., Ronnie.

Edited by Derek19

He was involved in the formation of The Band and also gave Pat Travers his first break.

RIP Ronnie.

• Like 1

I was unaware of this until Rifftrax did this last year.  Not so much a movie but a time share advertisement for a ski resort with an unknown Jim Carrey doing Sammy Davis Jr impressions and Alan Thicke.

"The first Lolapalooza was a little bleak!" :laugh:

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

The recent PROG magazine that was celebrating the 40th anniversary of Moving Pictures talked about how the band worked in Ronnie Hawkins' studio barn during that period. It's where Alex and Terry Brown had RC model airplanes and drove everyone nuts. :biggrin: They wrote a lot of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures there; it sounded like Hawkins was very supportive of them. RIP , Ronnie.:rose:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

Ronnie Hawkins wasn't Canadian.  He was born in Arkansas.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2022 at 11:45 PM, Krystal said:

Ronnie Hawkins wasn't Canadian.  He was born in Arkansas.

It is true Ronnie was born in Arkansas.  He did always maintain his American citizenship, while also attaining Canadian citizenship.  So, in the de jure sense, he was both American and Canadian.  I would suggest if someone choses to legally live in a given place (Canada in this case) for roughly 60 years, we might also consider that person a de facto citizen of said place.

Edited by dream & vapour
  • Like 2

Watching a Youtube interview with Neil and the Strombo. It was the 30th anniversary of Moving Pictures.

The band rented Ronnie Hawkins' place "near Peterborough, Ontario" and how nice it was with the barn to play in, and "a little cottage on a little lake" for writing.

Not a new factoid, just sharing and surprised this topic thread didn't go longer.

Nationality aside, RH was a big influence on a lot of people. I am never quick to recall all the Rush stuff in my brain or on the book shelves and stereo tables.

But when I come across a reminder I want to share it with other older fans and maybe, it's something new to later Rush followers.

Cheers!