Top Gun Maverick

Just saw this movie last night and I wasn't disappointed. It's one of those rare instances where the sequel is better than the original. I highly recommend it, especially if you're an airplane geek like I am. They made it using real F-18 footage rather than CGI and it made a huge difference in the quality. 

Also, try to see it in IMAX with Dolby Atmos if at all possible. 

• Like 6

We hope to hit the drive in to see it this weekend if the rain clears up!  Our county is pretty rural and actually has 2 drive ins.  It's a lot of fun- no IMAX, no Dolby, but it will be a big screen!  :biggrin:

WfrYoQul.png

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, goose said:

Is Goose in it?

Oh wow, man.  It's unbelievable you've steered the discussion into this ditch.  You've callously ripped the scab off a wound which I previously thought had healed.  And now . . . all I hear are the sad strains of "Love Theme from Goose's Death" reverberating through my mind.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dream & vapour said:

Oh wow, man.  It's unbelievable you've steered the discussion into this ditch.  You've callously ripped the scab off a wound which I previously thought had healed.  And now . . . all I hear are the sad strains of "Love Theme from Goose's Death" reverberating through my mind.

I feel better once I stream Playing with the Boys in his honor to pour one out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dream & vapour said:

At least you saw it for yourself! :biggrin:  Still a family joke in our family after all these years! My sisters and I had gone to the movies  with my dad to see the original. My dad is a huge movie buff and enjoys finding plot similarities, he had never seen this movie before. Anyway, 5 minutes after goose comes on the screen my dad says, "oh, that's the best friend that'll die." WHAT?? DAAAAD! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, blueschica said:

At least you saw it for yourself! :biggrin:  Still a family joke in our family after all these years! My sisters and I had gone to the movies  with my dad to see the original. My dad is a huge movie buff and enjoys finding plot similarities. Anyway, 5 minutes after goose comes on the screen my dad says, "oh, that's the best friend that'll die." WHAT?? DAAAAD! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ain't the first time Simpson, Bruckheimer and Paramount did that.  RIP Worley.

yS0929g.gif

• Like 1

Just now, invisible airwave said:

Ain't the first time Simpson, Bruckheimer and Paramount did that.  RIP Worley.

yS0929g.gif

Yes, very similar! I had totally forgotten that- such a good movie. Except for the horrible girlfriend of Debra Winger's - "No one DORs after 11 weeks! " ugh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueschica said:

Yes, very similar! I had totally forgotten that- such a good movie. Except for the horrible girlfriend of Debra Winger's - "No one DORs after 11 weeks! " ugh.

Both with Oscar winning love themes as well.  First of three straight Taylor Hackford movies with chart topping songs followed by Against All Odds and the one two punch of Separate Lives and Say You Say Me from White Nights.

• Like 1

Top Gun Mav is rocking the box office.  My 16yo son wants to see it, and in preparation watched the original yesterday. He's also been walking around the house humming Take My Breath Away, lol.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, goose said:

Top Gun Mav is rocking the box office.  My 16yo son wants to see it, and in preparation watched the original yesterday. He's also been walking around the house humming Take My Breath Away, lol.

The true gem from the soundtrack is Mighty Wings at the end.

At the movie theatres, I watched "Top Gun: Maverick".  I think it might be better, than the predecessor "Top Gun".  I enjoyed it that much.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 8:36 AM, goose said:

Interesting story about that song. The fame of it broke up Berlin and they didn’t even write it.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:36 AM, goose said:

On 6/22/2022 at 1:49 AM, Derek19 said:

At the movie theatres, I watched "Top Gun: Maverick".  I think it might be better, than the predecessor "Top Gun".  I enjoyed it that much.

I watched it on my own while my car was getting serviced. Then my wife and I took the trip down Memory Lane with the original on Sunday. We started Monday with TG:M, my wife also enjoyed it.

It is better than the original first film. The advances in film making and end of the line Maverick makes for a more entertaining film. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, JohnRogers said:

I watched it on my own while my car was getting serviced. Then my wife and I took the trip down Memory Lane with the original on Sunday.

OK, so I just read this completely wrong LOL!

I watched in my own car while getting serviced.  Then my wife and I took a trip down Memory Lane with the original on Sunday.

Well you lucky devils!  HAHAHA!

Soooo did you pay attention to the movie? LOL!  

Yep, I'm dumb.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2022 at 1:56 PM, condemned2bfree said:

Yeah. Went to the cinema to see this. Best way to enjoy this action romp. Wasn't disappointed. The Kilmer scene was carried out so well. Brought back memories too. Excellent.

The wife is the niece from Uncle Buck.  I was wondering why that name sounded familiar in the credits.  Loved that movie as a kid.

What made the movie work is that the character was acting like his age.  Haven't seen it but I know people have said that the last Bad Boys movie was an improvement over two since Smith and Lawrence were their age.  They weren't the young characters of the first two.  This is where the last two Die Hard movies failed.  They made John McClane into Rambo and Ahnuld instead of the ordinary guy in the wrong place at wrong time people could relate to.  Barely a scratch on him in those sequels compared to the original where his foot was in pain from all the blood from stepping on glass.

Edited by invisible airwave

Definitely not what I was expecting, I was expecting a lot more Kenny Loggins, but no instead I got just like 30 seconds of Danger Zone, Not to mention it was somewhat rife with inaccuracies, the two that got me were that they were dogfighting against the Russian Air Force, The Russian Air Force does not have the F-14 Tomcat in their arsenal, The only nation to have it currently is Iran, Likewise the Aircraft they used for the enemy is the Sukhoi Su-57 which is flown by the Russian Air Force, but they made a critical mistake they referred the aircraft by a NATO reporting name that does not exist. In the film they call it "Bandit" which does not appear in the NATO list of reporting names, the proper NATO reporting name for the Sukhoi Su-57 is "Felon".