YET ANOTHER School Shooting - Uvalde, Texas

Principled Man

17 hours ago, blueschica said:

It's incredibly sad and frustrating.  

Especially when these shootings have become so commonplace.  We react in horror and then go on about our lives.  We could do something about it but we don't. Most Americans don't have a problem with some sort of background checks but the Senate can't get it passed.  They just say Prayers and thoughts then move on.  Texas law allowed this guy to buy a gun with no background check or anything and now the Governor says we mourn...it would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.  The school even had an armed security guard and the shooter got past him.

Other countries have people with mental health problems but the statistics show few go on shooting rampages.  We don't want to look at the elephant in the room, our country is awash in guns and today gun stocks are profiting from this massacre.  If we can require people to prove they can drive before they get a drivers license why is it so onerous to make gun purchases contingent on a background check?  Most people would pass them no problem.

Now the Sandy Hook and Parkland parents have to relive the pain of their loss and a new group of parents are members of that club.  How can this continue and we not take some measures to prevent more? 

• Like 2

I know it sounds dark and sad. Because it is.

We know that we've been getting back to normal in America when the mass shootings have resumed.

9 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Chris Titus had a great sitcom a long time ago that I really enjoyed.  He's funny.  But this illustrates a common problem today.  It's easy to toss out pithy statements about what should be done about this or that perceived problem.  When the "problem," is that your trash can is full, the "solution," is indeed pretty simple.  But when the problem is what should be done about a school shooting, the water gets a little deeper, and Facebook memes seldom contain the right answer.  The second amendment prohibits the federal government or the states from completely banning gun ownership.  I assume the people who were chanting "defund the police," don't want those same police empowered to arrest people who have committed no crimes but are saying "incendiary," (hint, that's a subjective standard that gives the officers the ability to decide what they think is incendiary) things on social media.  I assume people who claim to embrace a "right to privacy," don't think the 19-year-old who works at the local sporting goods store should have access to your medical records to determine whether you're "fit," to buy a gun.  Do people want elementary schools patrolled by guards who are armed?  Do people want teachers armed in the classroom?

EVERYONE is horrified that little boys and girls were murdered.  But we are a nation of laws, not of "men."  The governor or president doesn't get to just dictate what happens in a state or the U.S.  Those laws have to be passed by people who don't agree on everything.  And those laws have to fit within our constitutional system.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 5:19 AM, Principled Man said:

Whatever it takes to prevent these shootings, no matter how inconvenient or painful it may be.  No matter how expensive it may be.  

• Securing all schools with armed security personnel, secured entrances, metal detectors, etc. 
  • Greater involvement with school districts and police, so that none of these disturbed kids fall through the cracks.
  • The People must set aside their partisan feuding and force their Congressmen to enact universal registration, waiting periods and background checks for ALL gun sales.  No exceptions.
  • A higher age limit for buying any type of gun.
  • Universal ban on all semi-automatic weapons.  Buy-back programs.  
  • Break the influence of the corrupt NRA and gun manufacturers within Congress and our state legislatures.
  • Show some real courage and demand that Congress finally do something about the 2nd Amendment.  Not repeal it, but reform it so that it effectively and unambiguously addresses today’s issues and not those of the 18th century.  

I agree with some of these.  My thoughts...

1.  Many of not most schools at this point have been updated to single point of entry models.  Sandy Hook and other attacks since show that the upgrades do little to prevent similar attacks.  Short turning schools into virtual prisons, this really isn't a solution

2. I am totally on board with better communication, though I am fairly certain it is already occurring .  A problem is how seriously we should take an adolescents threats, and what level of response should be taken

3,4. 18yo is too young for gun purchases, and in no context should same day sales of weapons or ammunition be permitted.

5. Semi-auto weapons have a place.  Clips limits make sense.

6. The NRA, like so many of our nation's lobbies, is what it is.

7. I agree with putting an amendment before the people.  I am curious as to how it might be phrased.

It appears there was plenty of legislation in place to raise red flags about the assailant's purchase of two AR15 rifles and 350+ rounds of ammo, yet no one acted.  Very sad.

And this:  There have been 224 shooting deaths in Chicago alone so far this year.  For me this is where energies should be focused.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, goose said:

It appears there was plenty of legislation in place to raise red flags about the assailant's purchase of two AR15 rifles and 350+ rounds of ammo, yet no one acted.  Very sad.

10 minutes ago, goose said:

And this:  There have been 224 shooting deaths in Chicago alone so far this year.  For me this is where energies should be focused.  

Two high profile WTF Red Flag Laws recently.

Those shooting deaths in Chicago while still tragic probably require different solutions. It's time Lori Lightfoot start talking more like NYC's Eric Adams. While I'm not 100% impressed with mayor Adams, when people accuse him of being all talk he's actually using the bully pulpit. Putting people on blast as the kids would say. Critical elements to fight NYC's violent crime are out of his hands, above his pay grade. He's letting the people know, so pressure can be applied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

That's a sad story. Kerr's dad was assassinated in Lebanon many years ago in the course of his job; he was a Middle Eastern scholar. So many families have been randomly touched by violence; I hadn't realized until recently that his was one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goose said:

So, the police delayed an hour before entering the school, despite 911 calls from within?  Tragic.  Senseless.

I'm still standing by but I believe at least one or two commander types on scene need to fall on their sword. A teacher propped a door open?

This thing is a tragically sad shit-show.

Edited by JohnRogers

13 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

A teacher propped a door open?

It’s been done a billion times before, hasn’t it?  To save a few minutes, to avoid some inconvenience, we prop open doors to do simple jobs.  We don’t think twice about it.  

Looks like we had better think twice about it now.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:41 PM, Principled Man said:

It’s been done a billion times before, hasn’t it?  To save a few minutes, to avoid some inconvenience, we prop open doors to do simple jobs.  We don’t think twice about it.  

Looks like we had better think twice about it now.  

So the door was propped open with a rock, but the teacher removed the rock when informed of the shooter.  She closed the door, but it didn’t lock for some reason.   :sad:

9 hours ago, Principled Man said:

So the door was propped open with a rock, but the teacher removed the rock when informed of the shooter.  She closed the door, but it didn’t lock for some reason.   :sad:

Most likely needed to pull it shut as it was only slightly ajar at that point.

1 hour ago, goose said:

Chicago stats for Memorial Day weekend?  50+ shot, 9 killed last I read.

Nobody cares because it’s mostly gang-bangers killing each other. Except when some fool misses his intended target, hitting an elementary school age child often killing them. 

• Like 1

TULSA, OKLAHOMA

Near St. Francis Hospital.  The Natalie Building.  
Multiple people shot.  At least one gunman has been shot, according to reports.  

Update:  Four dead, gunman shot himself.  

Edited by Principled Man

3 hours ago, Principled Man said:

TULSA, OKLAHOMA

Ugh. This is so sad.

16 hours ago, Principled Man said:

TULSA, OKLAHOMA

He’s pissed at his doctor because his back still hurts.  
He buys an AR-15 and shoots up the clinic the same day.  

3 hours ago, Principled Man said:

He’s pissed at his doctor because his back still hurts.  
He buys an AR-15 and shoots up the clinic the same day.  

Does same day purchase of a gun equate to "keep and bear arms"?  I don't think so, and it amazes me that same day over the counter purchase of arms and ammo is still permitted.

No guarantee that it would prevent any of these shootings, but it seems worth a try.

30 minutes ago, goose said:

Does same day purchase of a gun equate to "keep and bear arms"?  I don't think so, and it amazes me that same day over the counter purchase of arms and ammo is still permitted.

No guarantee that it would prevent any of these shootings, but it seems worth a try.

These days, almost anything is worth a try.  

44 minutes ago, goose said:

I don't think it's permitted everywhere. In NJ you have to apply for a card at the cop-shop before you can buy a gun. The cops drag their feet are busy, backlogs, so it takes time.

I can see a positive from some cooling off period. I can understand a domestic violence victim who lives with sparse cop coverage wanting her their gun right away.

Edited by JohnRogers
Missing a word, now go piss off!