YET ANOTHER School Shooting - Uvalde, Texas

Principled Man

14 Students and 1 teacher killed, according to the most recent report.  

:confused:  Well, People of the United States, what will we do about this?  Will anyone care?   :confused:

• Like 2

IMO one thing the media could do would be to stop talking about them. It seems like every time there is a major shooting they sensationalize it and then there are more that happen within a few days or weeks. But they're all about the $$ and will continue to publicize these with the talking heads telling us we have to so "something". 

2 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

IMO one thing the media could do would be to stop talking about them. It seems like every time there is a major shooting they sensationalize it and then there are more that happen within a few days or weeks. But they're all about the $$ and will continue to publicize these with the talking heads telling us we have to so "something". 

They can start by no longer publishing the name of the shooter.  No photos, no mention of his name.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

They can start by no longer publishing the name of the shooter.  No photos, no mention of his name.  

Agreed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Principled Man said:

:confused:  Well, People of the United States, what will we do about this?  Will anyone care?   :confused:

Most people care.  As far as what can be done, that's very complicated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BastillePark said:

And you wonder why PBS is the only news I watch.  There’s no such thing as corporate “liberal media” as long as fairness doctrine is dead.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

And you wonder why PBS is the only news I watch.  There’s no such thing as corporate “liberal media” as long as fairness doctrine is dead.

:rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

One day before the school’s Summer break was gonna begin.  Just found out on Fugelsang’s SiriusXM program.  So goddamn sad.  Pro life my ass.  Blood is on Q Taliban’s hands.

:facepalm:

4 hours ago, Principled Man said:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goose said:

Most people care.  As far as what can be done, that's very complicated.

The biggest complication is that people don’t want to enact real change, which has to happen to create any progress.  People in power especially don’t want real change, as it jeopardises their power and status.   

It’s easy for anyone to say, “I care about stopping these shootings,” but when asked the question, “What are you willing to DO to stop it?” , how do they respond?

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

The biggest complication is that people don’t want to enact real change, which has to happen to create any progress.  People in power especially don’t want real change, as it jeopardises their power and status.   

It’s easy for anyone to say, “I care about stopping these shootings,” but when asked the question, “What are you willing to DO to stop it?” , how do they respond?

What do you suggest a person do?

So, one report says the perp was enraged about not graduating, got into an argument with his grandma, shot her, and then went on a rampage.

Horrible.

Sad and tragic.

Difficullt for me to make any deeper comments as I do not really understand the whole gun culture, right to bear arms thng which is an important part of US culture........ therefore sad and tragic is where I will leave it. :sad::confused::facepalm:

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, goose said:

What do you suggest a person do?

Whatever it takes to prevent these shootings, no matter how inconvenient or painful it may be.  No matter how expensive it may be.  

• Securing all schools with armed security personnel, secured entrances, metal detectors, etc. 
  • Greater involvement with school districts and police, so that none of these disturbed kids fall through the cracks.
  • The People must set aside their partisan feuding and force their Congressmen to enact universal registration, waiting periods and background checks for ALL gun sales.  No exceptions.
  • A higher age limit for buying any type of gun.
  • Universal ban on all semi-automatic weapons.  Buy-back programs.  
  • Break the influence of the corrupt NRA and gun manufacturers within Congress and our state legislatures.
  • Show some real courage and demand that Congress finally do something about the 2nd Amendment.  Not repeal it, but reform it so that it effectively and unambiguously addresses today’s issues and not those of the 18th century.  

Lots of hard choices, which many people don’t want to do because they’re too self-righteous and too adamant on blaming other people or the political party they’ve been indoctrinated to hate.  
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

Whatever it takes to prevent these shootings, no matter how inconvenient or painful it may be.  No matter how expensive it may be.  

• Securing all schools with armed security personnel, secured entrances, metal detectors, etc. 
  • Greater involvement with school districts and police, so that none of these disturbed kids fall through the cracks.
  • The People must set aside their partisan feuding and force their Congressmen to enact universal registration, waiting periods and background checks for ALL gun sales.  No exceptions.
  • A higher age limit for buying any type of gun.
  • Universal ban on all semi-automatic weapons.  Buy-back programs.  
  • Break the influence of the corrupt NRA and gun manufacturers within Congress and our state legislatures.
  • Show some real courage and demand that Congress finally do something about the 2nd Amendment.  Not repeal it, but reform it so that it effectively and unambiguously addresses today’s issues and not those of the 18th century.  

Lots of hard choices, which many people don’t want to do because they’re too self-righteous and too adamant on blaming other people or the political party they’ve been indoctrinated to hate.  

This was a pretty good list until you got to semi-automatic weapons. The second amendment isn’t about deer hunting.

This is a mental health issue. We need to focus on mental health and where mental health meets gun purchase/gun access. Hardening campuses needs rethinking.   

These shootings aren't all the same. Mass shootings at school and workplaces, city gang-bangers, domestic violence, armed robbery/car jacking, all probably require different solutions. What isn’t a solution is blanket gun legislation that only serves to stroke the egos of lawmakers. 

“We have enough laws on the books to deal with what’s going on now", Joe Biden in Buffalo, May 2022. 

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

One day before the school’s Summer break was gonna begin.  Just found out on Fugelsang’s SiriusXM program.  So goddamn sad.  Pro life my ass.  Blood is on Q Taliban’s hands.

The Democrats?  I don’t think it’s fair to lay this at their feet just because they support killing children, advocate for violence against political opponents, and stoke racist and identitarian hatred.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

This was a pretty good list until you got to semi-automatic weapons. The second amendment isn’t about deer hunting.

This is a mental health issue. We need to focus on mental health and where mental health meets gun purchase/gun access. Hardening campuses needs rethinking.   

These shootings aren't all the same. Mass shootings at school and workplaces, city gang-bangers, domestic violence, armed robbery/car jacking, all probably require different solutions. What isn’t a solution is blanket gun legislation that only serves to stroke the egos of lawmakers. 

“We have enough laws on the books to deal with what’s going on now", Joe Biden in Buffalo, May 2022. 

I agree, but I’d let the “break the influence of the NRA” bullet stand.  

3 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

It’s a mental health issue, it’s a societal issue, it’s a political issue, it’s a legal and Constitutional issue, and it’s a moral issue.  There is not just one cause, just like there is not just one solution.  

I will never take the simplistic and disingenuous stance that this horrible situation is caused by one thing.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I'm actually glad to see someone say this.  Many people commenting on this don't have the courage to admit that this is what they want, to change the 2nd Amendment.  "Show some real courage," and put that issue to the people.

In about a month, we'll revisit this issue of putting something before the voters.

16 hours ago, blueschica said:

It's incredibly sad and frustrating.  

It's worse than that.  It is utterly horrifying that someone would EVER reach a point in their life when they would be willing to shoot and kill a child under 10 years old.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

It's worse than that.  It is utterly horrifying that someone would EVER reach a point in their life when they would be willing to shoot and kill a child under 10 years old.

Or for that matter, kill any child by any means.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zepphead said:

Sad and tragic.

Difficullt for me to make any deeper comments as I do not really understand the whole gun culture, right to bear arms thng which is an important part of US culture........ therefore sad and tragic is where I will leave it. :sad::confused::facepalm:

I don't understand it either, and I was raised going hunting with my dad.  The WWII vets (my dad was Korea era) that  I grew up with knew that military style weapons killed people and wanted nothing to do with them; they enjoyed hunting and were advocates for gun safety and common sense gun regulations as well.  I'm not sure when all of that changed but you are right, it is a different culture than the gun owners of the past, the ones that I knew anyway.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4