The Most Recycled Riff in Heavy Metal

:laugh: I had to laugh at this because it's true. Some only have elements of the riff (Thin Lizzy, Priest, Sabbath) but the rest are almost exactly the same, slower maybe but the same)

Who came up with this riff first then, Sabbath? The Megalomania one is really just part of the final section of the song, it's not the main riff.

• Like 4

This video made me think of two things - Treeduck`s record collection, and how I don`t like any of the bands featured except for Black Sabbath and a very small selection from Iron Maiden.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

This video made me think ... how I don`t like any of the bands featured except for Black Sabbath and a very small selection from Iron Maiden.

Same, very little of this has ever been a part of my personal music collection.  No doubt this video's premise is a subconscious reason why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

This video made me think of two things - Treeduck`s record collection, and how I don`t like any of the bands featured except for Black Sabbath and a very small selection from Iron Maiden.

Same, though I probably have more love for Maiden then you do.

43 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Same, very little of this has ever been a part of my personal music collection.  No doubt this video's premise is a subconscious reason why.

Same.

13 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Same, though I probably have more love for Maiden then you do.

I bought the Somewhere Back in Time compilation a few months ago, to see if ignoring them for the last 30 years was a mistake or not. The results were inconclusive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched the video - never had connected any of the bands to each other before watching - still don't after watching - now feel cheated that I wasted 8:20 of my life.  

• Haha 1

I’ve seen this video. This is something I had noticed about a few of the songs in the video a few years ago, but didn’t know it was this widespread until I watched the video. I think one notable omission is Motely Crue’s “Looks That Kill,” not the exact same, but the first time I heard the Maiden riff I thought “did Maiden really steal from Crue?” 

https://youtu.be/2gIVksP0Y9A

• Like 1

I would have liked if he gave the year all these songs were released because several of those I have no clue about. That way we could hear who possibly inspired Maiden with that riff and then who Maiden may have inspired with it after. Never made the connection with Megalomania or the two Priest songs before.

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I would have liked if he gave the year all these songs were released because several of those I have no clue about. That way we could hear who possibly inspired Maiden with that riff and then who Maiden may have inspired with it after. Never made the connection with Megalomania or the two Priest songs before.

As usual the family tree of all riffs leads back to Sabbath.

• Like 3