The Limelight solo - that note...

Timbale

Listening to the Live in YYZ recording and it occurred to me that the effect of having that last long note of the guitar solo echo over the chorus is really well done on the MP tour...like, I don't think Alex ever nailed that effect quite as well after that tour.  I assume that the technology got better with guitar pedals, not worse...so...why do you think that is?

• Like 1

Back on the MP tour, Alex had a digital delay unit that had a hold function, with a footswitch to engage it -- you play a note or phrase and you hit the button and it would keep repeating it until you disengage it. I used to have an Ibanez digital delay unit that had that same hold function, and I was able to replicate that held note for the Limelight solo.

That was in the early to mid-'80s, and none of the delay units I've had since then have had that hold function, and I'm thinking that Alex ran into the same issue. Nowadays you can get a looper pedal and achieve the same effect.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Back on the MP tour, Alex had a digital delay unit that had a hold function, with a footswitch to engage it -- you play a note or phrase and you hit the button and it would keep repeating it until you disengage it. I used to have an Ibanez digital delay unit that had that same hold function, and I was able to replicate that held note for the Limelight solo.

That was in the early to mid-'80s, and none of the delay units I've had since then have had that hold function, and I'm thinking that Alex ran into the same issue. Nowadays you can get a looper pedal and achieve the same effect.

I messed around with a similar pedal back in the day. It was a two-step affair: you clicked the button to start the audio capture and then clicked it again to end the capture, which then started the loop until you decided to end it. As I recall, it could capture a max of 8 seconds.

On 5/17/2022 at 5:51 AM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

It was an Ibanez AD-230.

He can get the same effect via the hold delay patch on the GForce. 

Edited by Gassage
typo

I don't know anything about guitar effect pedal systems...but I was looking at a list of Alex's gear by tour, and it lists FOUR times as many effects units on the Clockwork Angels tour than on the Moving Pictures tour!  It's just funny to me that with all that gear, he couldn't make that effect as well as he could 35 years earlier...

1 hour ago, Timbale said:

I don't know anything about guitar effect pedal systems...but I was looking at a list of Alex's gear by tour, and it lists FOUR times as many effects units on the Clockwork Angels tour than on the Moving Pictures tour!  It's just funny to me that with all that gear, he couldn't make that effect as well as he could 35 years earlier...

It might not be the gear's fault.

8 hours ago, Timbale said:

Maybe arthritis was a factor?

From a recent thread on this subject: https://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/114034-limelight-from-toronto-32581-show-posted/&do=findComment&comment=5001370

Bonus!  Here's a link to this unit (with pics) at Reverb (and in a few months/years, this link will probably be kaput): https://reverb.com/item/27871051-vintage-deltalab-adm-2048-super-timeline-digital-delay

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JARG said:

It might not be the gear's fault.

This.

For me this new release is the definitive way to experience the Moving Pictures songs live. It's their latest material, complex and challenging to play, but they seem aware of its strength and are totally focused on delivering it to the audience as well as possible. 

• Like 1