The Assistant Night Manager a.k.a. Bon Jovi: Stop the Excuses

JohnRogers

35 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Actually, that's a great point.  Tom is still a premier QB at 44.  Tua was born a couple years before Tom was drafted, and he stinks.  Of course, that might not be unique.  When a team goes 21 years (and counting) without a playoff win, you can't really say any one player stinks more than the next.  

You might be right about Tua stinking; while his record against the Patriots as a starter is 3-0, their margin of victory could have been higher with someone else.

Brady would have retired at 25 with Tua's offensive line last year, if a career ending injury didn't get him first.

5 hours ago, chemistry1973 said:

You need a super human voice to deliver at that high range and energy those songs demand. In the comments for the above video a user suggested that Jon never recovered from the Slippery and NJ tours. He’s prob right and the dye was likely cast way back then.

Jolt Cola was his way of keeping up.  Twice the caffeine, twice the cola.

36 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

You might be right about Tua stinking; while his record against the Patriots as a starter is 3-0, their margin of victory could have been higher with someone else.

Brady would have retired at 25 with Tua's offensive line last year, if a career ending injury didn't get him first.

Yeah, the Patriots just haven't been the same since Tom left.  Weird considering the system is still pretty much the same.

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Yeah, the Patriots just haven't been the same since Tom left.  Weird considering the system is still pretty much the same.

Well, at least they were able to score more than 13 points in a playoff game last year, A

mark Brady failed to hit in his last couple of playoff games.

When Tahhmy retires, are you going to go back and be a Patriot fan again, or like most of the rest of those in the Boston area, just go back to not caring about football?

7 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Well, at least they were able to score more than 13 points in a playoff game last year, A

mark Brady failed to hit in his last couple of playoff games.

When Tahhmy retires, are you going to go back and be a Patriot fan again, or like most of the rest of those in the Boston area, just go back to not caring about football?

"Tahmmy," would be how someone from the western part of the state says it.  They aren't really from Massachusetts.  It's "Tawm."

I've been a Patriots fan since, "Grogs," was the QB and Sam Bam was their premier back.  Brady isn't really responsible for turning this into a football town, though.  The truth is that honor belongs to Drew Bledsoe and Bill Parcells.

When Brady retires, will the Dolphins still have no playoff wins this millenium?

28 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

"Tahmmy," would be how someone from the western part of the state says it.  They aren't really from Massachusetts.  It's "Tawm."

I've been a Patriots fan since, "Grogs," was the QB and Sam Bam was their premier back.  Brady isn't really responsible for turning this into a football town, though.  The truth is that honor belongs to Drew Bledsoe and Bill Parcells.

When Brady retires, will the Dolphins still have no playoff wins this millenium?

Nice bit of history, there.    It took 25 years, but the Pats got the ultimate make up call for the Sugar Bear Hamilton call.

I guess that depends on a number of things...

If he starts his announcing career, how much time does it provide for him to get away from his wife and kids (and ex-wife and her kid, for that matter, though he seems like he's got that handled)?

How much he truly enjoys getting coaches fired

The continued efficacy of Dr. Guerrero's "treatments"

I do feel confident that the next Dolphin playoff win will occur before the next one your former team gets.   Even with the league office running cover for you guys.   Oops, your former guys.

2 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Nice bit of history, there.    It took 25 years, but the Pats got the ultimate make up call for the Sugar Bear Hamilton call.

I guess that depends on a number of things...

If he starts his announcing career, how much time does it provide for him to get away from his wife and kids (and ex-wife and her kid, for that matter, though he seems like he's got that handled)?

How much he truly enjoys getting coaches fired

The continued efficacy of Dr. Guerrero's "treatments"

I do feel confident that the next Dolphin playoff win will occur before the next one your former team gets.   Even with the league office running cover for you guys.   Oops, your former guys.

Who did the Dolphins play in the most recent postseason?  I forget.

5 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Who did the Dolphins play in the most recent postseason?  I forget.

The Patriots last playoff performance was unforgettable.

19 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I saw Sammy Hagar in 2019, and he still sounded pretty good.  Although I've never seen him live, Glenn Hughes similarly seems to be defying time.  Those are 2 guys who did not take good care of themselves, especially Hughes.  I saw GNR in 2017 and again last summer.  Axl sounded good in 2017, last summer he was starting to struggle.

I'm seeing Def Leppard and Motley Crue this summer.  I last saw DL in 2018, and Joe sounded good.  I last saw the Crue in 2015 and Vince didn't.  I'm seeing Macca next month.  When I last saw him in 2008 he sounded great.  I think as with most things about physical ability, it's often really a crapshoot whose voice declines at what speed.

I don't know about today but back during peak Guns 'N Roses it was a crapshoot whether Axl would sound good or not. I saw them quite a bit, multiple times on the same tour. One night Axl is great, the other total shit.

Edited by JohnRogers
not, not night
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnRogers said:

I don't know about today but back during peak Guns 'N Roses it was a crapshoot whether Axl would sound good or night. I saw them quite a bit, multiple times on the same tour. One night Axl is great, the other total shit.

I saw them in 1988 and 1991.  Both times Axl sounded excellent.

Just now, Rick N. Backer said:

I saw them in 1988 and 1991.  Both times Axl sounded excellent.

You were lucky or maybe it was the weed.

9 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

The Patriots last playoff performance was unforgettable.

But you’re saying the team who was playing golf by then will win a playoff game first.  Which they won’t.  Because they haven’t this millennium.

4 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

But you’re saying the team who was playing golf by then will win a playoff game first.  Which they won’t.  Because they haven’t this millennium.

Spain had the biggest empire in the world at one point.  Your former team's halcyon days are well behind them.  Even the "advantages" they had in the past are no longer enough.

31 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Spain had the biggest empire in the world at one point.  Your former team's halcyon days are well behind them.  Even the "advantages" they had in the past are no longer enough.

By, “the past,” you mean 4 months ago?  I guess technically.

11 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

By, “the past,” you mean 4 months ago?  I guess technically.

Technically, 4 months and 2 days this happened.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202201150buf.htm#all_pbp

Outstanding extra point defense!   

52 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Technically, 4 months and 2 days this happened.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202201150buf.htm#all_pbp

Outstanding extra point defense!   

Better to be sent home immediately after the regular season.  I suppose after a while some fans just get used to it.

4 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Better to be sent home immediately after the regular season.  I suppose after a while some fans just get used to it.

Get used to it?   You mean like after the opponent scores after the first six drives you get used to it the seventh time?

Nice job on holding Trubisky to -2 yrs in 3 attempts on that last drive.

#risetotheoccasion

#neverquit

11 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I saw Sammy Hagar in 2019, and he still sounded pretty good.  Although I've never seen him live, Glenn Hughes similarly seems to be defying time.  Those are 2 guys who did not take good care of themselves, especially Hughes.  I saw GNR in 2017 and again last summer.  Axl sounded good in 2017, last summer he was starting to struggle.

I'm seeing Def Leppard and Motley Crue this summer.  I last saw DL in 2018, and Joe sounded good.  I last saw the Crue in 2015 and Vince didn't.  I'm seeing Macca next month.  When I last saw him in 2008 he sounded great.  I think as with most things about physical ability, it's often really a crapshoot whose voice declines at what speed.

You’re not wrong to point out examples that would seem to be exceptions (my favorite being Steven Tyler, who claims he’s shoved 3 million dollars up his nose throughout his life, yet still sounds much like he did in 1989, which is to say, excellent).  However it’s a lot safer for an aspiring musician to think of cases like Tyler or Hughes as just that: exceptions. They may have been blessed with unnatural vocal stamina and resistance to age and abuse, but that doesn’t mean you should trash your instrument every night in the hopes you’re more like them than Robert Plant, who’s voice changed cataclismically after less than a decade in Zeppelin.

22 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

Rob Halford, Klaus Meine & Dave Meniketti still sound great too. It can be done. 

Dickinson too. He's losing his higher range over the last few tours but can still sing at level that is more than acceptable. I know Alice Cooper doesn't have crazy range as a singer but he's been touring almost non stop for the last 35 years and at 74 he still has his voice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Get used to it?   You mean like after the opponent scores after the first six drives you get used to it the seventh time?

Nice job on holding Trubisky to -2 yrs in 3 attempts on that last drive.

#risetotheoccasion

#neverquit

You got me.  The Patriots did not play well in the playoff game against Buffalo.  But they did make the playoffs.  Something Miami didn't do.  Again.

If the Patriots go as long as Miami has gone without making it back to the Super Bowl, I probably won't live to see it.  If they go as long as Miami has gone without winning it, I definitely won't.  I'm glad I got to see them play in 11 Super Bowls and win 6 of them.  Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick have really done an amazing job getting there 9 times this millennium.  Of course, having the greatest QB in history for 20 seasons made it possible.

You can probably change your allegiance to the Chiefs at this point.  They're usually pretty good.   And they're physically closer to you.  Certainly closer than the Dolphins were to Indiana.

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

You got me.  The Patriots did not play well in the playoff game against Buffalo.  But they did make the playoffs.  Something Miami didn't do.  Again.

If the Patriots go as long as Miami has gone without making it back to the Super Bowl, I probably won't live to see it.  If they go as long as Miami has gone without winning it, I definitely won't.  I'm glad I got to see them play in 11 Super Bowls and win 6 of them.  Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick have really done an amazing job getting there 9 times this millennium.  Of course, having the greatest QB in history for 20 seasons made it possible.

You can probably change your allegiance to the Chiefs at this point.  They're usually pretty good.   And they're physically closer to you.  Certainly closer than the Dolphins were to Indiana.

Nah, switching teams, whether it's because you're a band Wagoner or whether you're more  a fan of a player more than a team is something I'd never do.

Given the "advantages" they had, the Patriots probably should have won more.   But in 100 years, those "advantages" will have been lost to history, so there's that

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

Nah, switching teams, whether it's because you're a band Wagoner or whether you're more  a fan of a player more than a team is something I'd never do.

Given the "advantages" they had, the Patriots probably should have won more.   But in 100 years, those "advantages" will have been lost to history, so there's that

I'm sure there are lots of kids from Indiana born between 1985 and the present that are die hard Dolphins fans.  But the Bears, (Baltimore) Colts, and Saints weren't all that good in the 60s and 70s for the most part.  The Patriots weren't either, but of course I don't root for teams I have no connection to because they win.

Edited by Rick N. Backer
adding Baltimore

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I'm sure there are lots of kids from Indiana born between 1985 and the present that are die hard Dolphins fans.  But the Bears, (Baltimore) Colts, and Saints weren't all that good in the 60s and 70s for the most part.  The Patriots weren't either, but of course I don't root for teams I have no connection to because they win.

When I became a Dolphin fan they were still two years from their first winning season.   Some bandwagon.