The Assistant Night Manager a.k.a. Bon Jovi: Stop the Excuses

JohnRogers

Jon has apparently been getting poor reviews for his vocals lately. Alan Hunter was talking some BS about possible effects from Covid. He’s never been a good vocalist, he wasn’t anything during the Slippery When Wet tour. 

Like David Lee Roth he’s a studio creature.

Edited by JohnRogers
For style and razzle dazzle

I think he's a great singer, but yeah he's past his prime now

I saw some videos of Jon Bon Jovi on the current tour. It's truly awful. No power left in his voice. The first video I saw I thought there was something wrong with his ear monitor or he was losing his hearing because he wasn't even singing properly to the rhythm. He sounded like he couldn't hear the beat and was singing off slightly. I saw a few more and realized that his voice is just shot. He was never a technically gifted singer but he did have good vocal power and could really belt it out years ago. He probably just didn't use proper technique and take care of it like he should have when he was younger. Because of that, he's got nothing left now.

I'm not a professional singer but as a lifelong music nerd, that's what it sounds like to me.

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I saw some videos of Jon Bon Jovi on the current tour. It's truly awful. No power left in his voice. The first video I saw I thought there was something wrong with his ear monitor or he was losing his hearing because he wasn't even singing properly to the rhythm. He sounded like he couldn't hear the beat and was singing off slightly. I saw a few more and realized that his voice is just shot. He was never a technically gifted singer but he did have good vocal power and could really belt it out years ago. He probably just didn't use proper technique and take care of it like he should have when he was younger. Because of that, he's got nothing left now.

I'm not a professional singer but as a lifelong music nerd, that's what it sounds like to me.

Sad to hear this.  It's too bad some vocalists didn't pay more attention to this back when they were younger.  Tom Kiefer of Cinderella has had problems since the 90's with vocal cord paralysis and bleeding etc etc because he didn't really have a technique either, or I guess his singing was poor technique unfortunately.  (Love Cinderella!)

We saw them in Florida in 2018. At that time his voice was ok .... but just ok.

He struggled with some of the notes .... age was starting to tell a tale.

But in general it was a pretty decent performance.

I guess it has gone downhill since then.

17 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

9 hours ago, blueschica said:

Sad to hear this.  It's too bad some vocalists didn't pay more attention to this back when they were younger.  Tom Kiefer of Cinderella has had problems since the 90's with vocal cord paralysis and bleeding etc etc because he didn't really have a technique either, or I guess his singing was poor technique unfortunately.  (Love Cinderella!)

Like lawyers and financial advisors talking with rookie NFL players. Someone at the record company should brief vocalists about spending some of the new earned money on decent vocal coaching. 

• Like 2

jon has no voice now.  and while i'm a fan and never advocate people stopping simply cause they're older.  he needs too.  recent clips are just embarrassing.  and worse than the voice he literally sounds soul dead and like he'd rather be doing ANYTHING else.

also this is what bad technique for decades gets you.  i'm not an expert by any means but i did take lessons for a period and i know jon's technique as far as support was always....well....shit, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

You need a super human voice to deliver at that high range and energy those songs demand. In the comments for the above video a user suggested that Jon never recovered from the Slippery and NJ tours. He’s prob right and the dye was likely cast way back then.

3 minutes ago, chemistry1973 said:

You need a super human voice to deliver at that high range and energy those songs demand. In the comments for the above video a user suggested that Jon never recovered from the Slippery and NJ tours. He’s prob right and the dye was likely cast way back then.

I saw Jon sing on both of those tours, he was nothing impressive then. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, chemistry1973 said:

again it's a highly demanding job and if your not taking care and maintaining your instrument your gonna blow it.  as i said Jon on those early records was pulling it off but he was executing it terribly.

a counter example s Dennis deyoung.  i don't know how he sounds today but a few years back i heard him and he's in his 70's he sounded amazing.  he obviously looks after that voice.

it's also why rock stars tend to blow out their shit and theater actors and trained singers are performing sometimes fine into their 80's.

Rock stars party and do drugs and abuse themselfs while broadway folk live like monks just to perform 8 shows a week

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

again it's a highly demanding job and if your not taking care and maintaining your instrument your gonna blow it.  as i said Jon on those early records was pulling it off but he was executing it terribly.

a counter example s Dennis deyoung.  i don't know how he sounds today but a few years back i heard him and he's in his 70's he sounded amazing.  he obviously looks after that voice.

it's also why rock stars tend to blow out their shit and theater actors and trained singers are performing sometimes fine into their 80's.

Rock stars party and do drugs and abuse themselfs while broadway folk live like monks just to perform 8 shows a week

Mick

Ten minutes, ten minutes, ten minutes, Brian Johnson you’re on. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

ever seen Vince Neil now?  it's..........wow.

lol

Mick

A modern classic that never gets old.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

ever seen Vince Neil now?  it's..........wow.

lol

Mick

They're supposed to rotate who headlines every other night between them and Def Leppard when they do their stadium tour this summer. I don't see how Lep isn't set to close each show after how bad Vince was on Crue's last tour. Somehow he's going to be better now that he's six or seven years older when he had nothing left last time around. Also, if Vince does manage to pull off being decent on this tour, I need to get on whatever workout regimen he's on because obviously it can work miracles.

• Like 2

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

They're supposed to rotate who headlines every other night between them and Def Leppard when they do their stadium tour this summer. I don't see how Lep isn't set to close each show after how bad Vince was on Crue's last tour. Somehow he's going to be better now that he's six or seven years older when he had nothing left last time around. Also, if Vince does manage to pull off being decent on this tour, I need to get on whatever workout regimen he's on because obviously it can work miracles.

Vince is Example A of what i was talking about.  no vocal care.....obviously no exercise.  he can barely geet through phrases on one breath......drops whole lyric sections entirely  lol.

worse he always wears an expression like i'm killing this........really Vinny?

Unfortunately Bon Jovi is becoming example B.  actually not only does Jon not have a voice......in those clips i see.  i hear no pitch anymore as well.  Meat Loaf lost his pitch towards the end and it sounded similar.  and you know i love Meat.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Jon Anderson too. Almost 80 and sounds just like he did 25 years ago. Unreal

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Vince is Example A of what i was talking about.  no vocal care.....obviously no exercise.  he can barely geet through phrases on one breath......drops whole lyric sections entirely  lol.

worse he always wears an expression like i'm killing this........really Vinny?

Unfortunately Bon Jovi is becoming example B.  actually not only does Jon not have a voice......in those clips i see.  i hear no pitch anymore as well.  Meat Loaf lost his pitch towards the end and it sounded similar.  and you know i love Meat.

Mick

Joe Elliott's voice doesn't have much left either but at least he can still respectably get through the set. He hasn't been able to hit those screams from High n Dry and Pyromania for the last 25 years but I don't think he's gotten to the point where he's flat out embarrassing himself like Vince and Jon are.

• Like 1

Just now, ST3V said:

Jon Anderson too. Almost 80 and sounds just like he did 25 years ago. Unreal

you can pull it off for sure with the right care Tony bennett before he got sick was another GREAT example of being 80 and just killing it every single time.

we like to put god status on these singers but remember their just human.

Mick

• Like 2

I saw Sammy Hagar in 2019, and he still sounded pretty good.  Although I've never seen him live, Glenn Hughes similarly seems to be defying time.  Those are 2 guys who did not take good care of themselves, especially Hughes.  I saw GNR in 2017 and again last summer.  Axl sounded good in 2017, last summer he was starting to struggle.

I'm seeing Def Leppard and Motley Crue this summer.  I last saw DL in 2018, and Joe sounded good.  I last saw the Crue in 2015 and Vince didn't.  I'm seeing Macca next month.  When I last saw him in 2008 he sounded great.  I think as with most things about physical ability, it's often really a crapshoot whose voice declines at what speed.

41 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I saw Sammy Hagar in 2019, and he still sounded pretty good.  Although I've never seen him live, Glenn Hughes similarly seems to be defying time.  Those are 2 guys who did not take good care of themselves, especially Hughes.  I saw GNR in 2017 and again last summer.  Axl sounded good in 2017, last summer he was starting to struggle.

I'm seeing Def Leppard and Motley Crue this summer.  I last saw DL in 2018, and Joe sounded good.  I last saw the Crue in 2015 and Vince didn't.  I'm seeing Macca next month.  When I last saw him in 2008 he sounded great.  I think as with most things about physical ability, it's often really a crapshoot whose voice declines at what speed.

It's not really a crapshoot though as to who loses physical ability a a quicker or slower rate.  Just ask Alex Guerrero or his client.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

It's not really a crapshoot though as to who loses physical ability a a quicker or slower rate.  Just ask Alex Guerrero or his client.

Actually, that's a great point.  Tom is still a premier QB at 44.  Tua was born a couple years before Tom was drafted, and he stinks.  Of course, that might not be unique.  When a team goes 21 years (and counting) without a playoff win, you can't really say any one player stinks more than the next.