So no more iPods.

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

No they’re very active in trying to get me to subscribe to premium. But I won’t do it.

I held out for a long time subscribing to them but once my iPod started dying on me a couple years ago (couldn't listen to it for more than an hour or so before the battery would drain completely) I figured it was time to go to Spotify instead of buying a new one and trying to put everything on it again.

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

I held out for a long time subscribing to them but once my iPod started dying on me a couple years ago (couldn't listen to it for more than an hour or so before the battery would drain completely) I figured it was time to go to Spotify instead of buying a new one and trying to put everything on it again.

A harrowing process for sure. I was without an iPod for much of the start of the pandemic.

I may be in the minority here, but I like different devices for different things.

I use a phone as a phone.  I turn it off when I don't want to be bothered by the world. 

But I don't want that to compromise how I play music.  So I still have a couple of working iPods.  Now with flash drives installed - so they will probably last forever at this point.  I have the iTunes software in a very stable and backed up Windows 7 virtual machine.... so no problem keeping them loaded up with new music as my library of mp3s that i own grows on my hard drive....also backed up to multiple copies (on a schedule).

Streaming is fun.  But I like owning more. I control it. I don't need a connection to play my own stuff.  I pay once, and it's mine as long as I need it to be. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Laurabw said:

I do, and I have Apple music on my phone, but I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't have unlimited data, so...

I'm a total nerd with my playlists. It's not only by artists, but I have a couple by decade, and then a bunch by year. And "soundtracks" one, two and three. And "Holiday" and "Irish music" and stuff I listened to in college...and on and on. So yes, that's all on iTunes so in theory, on my Apple Music, but then I have to switch to unlimited data in order to be using apple music in the car. I just don't use that much data otherwise...

But, both my iPods still work right now, KNOCK WOOD....so I don't have to do anything till they both stop working.

I am the same way.  I don't have unlimited data either, and have 2 iPods as well.  I mostly use the iPod mini because it holds about 4 or 5 hours worth and is great for a car trip. And root canals, sadly. (Although we do have Siriusxm, mostly for my husband to listed to sports in the car.  They have like every sport. And if you call them at renewal each year and say it is expensive, they somehow "find" great sales for you :biggrin:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Wow lots of responses!

Yeah I knew I was in the minority here as well, lol. Streaming has taken over and iPods were already on the way out. For me, the current system just doesn't satisfy. I don't like the idea of my music access being controlled by somebody else, especially when that someone else is a company that runs on a pretty evil business model like Spotify or Apple Music. So I'm both morally and philosophically just opposed to relying on them for anything other than music discovery and the one podcast I listen to (which I not sure is available elsewhere? I should look into that).  Also, I have one of the last iPods they made, with 256 gigs of storage on it. I need lots of storage for my music collection and any device that's also a phone is just not likely to offer that much space. Not to mention I'm very picky about notifications and such. I don't like my music player to also be able to take phone calls and be my main messaging system. I just want it to play music and not ever interrupt me with something else. I do keep some games on my iPod and the messages app for emergencies (i.e. if my phone is dead), but I use it pretty solely as a music player and that's how I like it. I also turn off all notifications so I don't have anything interrupting the music.  Also, modern iPhones don't have headphone jacks, and I'm not getting wireless earbuds anytime soon. I like the wire. I don't know if Androids have headphone jacks or not, but I just got a modern iPhone a few months ago before my big move and I'll be paying it off for a while, so I'm not going to be making the switch anytime soon.

All of that is to say, for me, personally, and by no means for anybody other than me... the iPod is still important.

I have a cheap Samsung phone and they still have headphone jacks! Agree about wanting a separate music player.  I have an iPod mini for the car and the dentist and a big iPod just to hold a lot of my music.

• Like 1

It's either my Youtube account or actual cd's for me. I do have a few albums downloaded onto my desktop at work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grep said:

I may be in the minority here, but I like different devices for different things.

I use a phone as a phone.  I turn it off when I don't want to be bothered by the world. 

But I don't want that to compromise how I play music.  So I still have a couple of working iPods.  Now with flash drives installed - so they will probably last forever at this point.  I have the iTunes software in a very stable and backed up Windows 7 virtual machine.... so no problem keeping them loaded up with new music as my library of mp3s that i own grows on my hard drive....also backed up to multiple copies (on a schedule).

Streaming is fun.  But I like owning more. I control it. I don't need a connection to play my own stuff.  I pay once, and it's mine as long as I need it to be. 

I need to get my system backed up an organized. I’ve never had the time/money/energy to do it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I need to get my system backed up an organized. I’ve never had the time/money/energy to do it.

Oh boy, it's hard to do once you already have a lot.

• Like 2

I recently went through all my MP3s and made sure they were properly labeled (filename and embedded tags), even added album art to most of them since i mostly only have things I own/like.  High bitrate MP3 seems here to stay, it's probably the longest running format with as much flexibility as it offers.  FLAC is great too, but not inherently supported on all devices that play music.  Objectively, the difference with road noise in most vehicle between FLAC/CD and 320Kbps MP3 is tough to discern, and of course FLAC/CD WAV files take up much more space too so until memory storage is super cheap/excessive, which may never be the case for phones since it's a metric they use for upselling different models/tiers in the company's lineup, it would seem that hedging my bets with MP3 is the safest course.

I've been on the planet using tech long enough to see nearly all forms of car audio come/go through the years.  Further back memories are radio only, if lucky 8 track.  Then cassettes hit hard, and stayed around for quite a while even staying around longer as playback devices thanks to adapters that allowed their replacement, compact discs, to play over a 3.5mm jack into the same old headunit.  Compact discs lasted about as long in car audio before MP3s and other digital audio started to be supported by players.  Mp3s over an audio cable via a 3.5mm 'headphone' jack is still a thing today, but they could also be burned to a CD and played off the disc in some cars.  Then USB thumbdrives and/or smartphones over a USB cable became the defacto means of getting digital music into the cars, quickly followed by bluetooth streaming from portable devices and phones.  Now we can stream libraries of music over the cell phone data signal (wirelessly too) and even control the functions/search through the touchscreens on the car's head unit [wireless carplay/android auto].

I guess things have come a long way.  No wonder iPods aren't all the rage anymore.

[rant]

Everyone will end up at a place they're comfortable with tech, so long as it provides the function they want.  Just beware, as I've said before, of letting others control the media and medium its being delivered.  'Ownership' of music, tv shows, and movies is going away and you're trusting the people with the most to gain to not raise the prices to the point you can't/won't enjoy the same quantity or quality as you're accustomed.  In one way or another, whether making you buy a compact disc at $15 or three subscriptions at $5 /month each, they WILL get their "fair share".

[/rant]

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Even if you just get an external drive and make a copy drag and drop regularly, it's better than nothing.   The day will come that the hard drive fails, and all that stuff is gone.  They are mechanical, and even though incredibly reliable - are still machines. 

I am still pissed at myself for not having a working backup in 2009. Sirmply for the fact that I had full versions of both Rob Halford Rockline solo shows....now gone to eternity.   Yeah, there's low quality versions out there...but not my own... 

A basic principle for data is that if there aren't at least 3 copies, then it doesn't exist.

Just do the basic drag and drop copies to start.... you might well thank yourself one day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stoopid said:

I recently went through all my MP3s and made sure they were properly labeled (filename and embedded tags), even added album art to most of them since i mostly only have things I own/like.  High bitrate MP3 seems here to stay, it's probably the longest running format with as much flexibility as it offers.  FLAC is great too, but not inherently supported on all devices that play music.  Objectively, the difference with road noise in most vehicle between FLAC/CD and 320Kbps MP3 is tough to discern, and of course FLAC/CD WAV files take up much more space too so until memory storage is super cheap/excessive, which may never be the case for phones since it's a metric they use for upselling different models/tiers in the company's lineup, it would seem that hedging my bets with MP3 is the safest course.

I've been on the planet using tech long enough to see nearly all forms of car audio come/go through the years.  Further back memories are radio only, if lucky 8 track.  Then cassettes hit hard, and stayed around for quite a while even staying around longer as playback devices thanks to adapters that allowed their replacement, compact discs, to play over a 3.5mm jack into the same old headunit.  Compact discs lasted about as long in car audio before MP3s and other digital audio started to be supported by players.  Mp3s over an audio cable via a 3.5mm 'headphone' jack is still a thing today, but they could also be burned to a CD and played off the disc in some cars.  Then USB thumbdrives and/or smartphones over a USB cable became the defacto means of getting digital music into the cars, quickly followed by bluetooth streaming from portable devices and phones.  Now we can stream libraries of music over the cell phone data signal (wirelessly too) and even control the functions/search through the touchscreens on the car's head unit [wireless carplay/android auto].

I guess things have come a long way.  No wonder iPods aren't all the rage anymore.

[rant]

Everyone will end up at a place they're comfortable with tech, so long as it provides the function they want.  Just beware, as I've said before, of letting others control the media and medium its being delivered.  'Ownership' of music, tv shows, and movies is going away and you're trusting the people with the most to gain to not raise the prices to the point you can't/won't enjoy the same quantity or quality as you're accustomed.  In one way or another, whether making you buy a compact disc at $15 or three subscriptions at $5 /month each, they WILL get their "fair share".

[/rant]

I have Amazon unlimited for streaming.   I have to tell you, and it will sound weird...maybe:  I record album streams.  Seriously.

Remember the old days when we used to tape shit off he radio?  It's like that. Except no commercials, and not too bad quality.  All things considered. 

I have collected and discovered so much stuff through streaming.... and I save it off, tag it and make it part of the collection.  Because one day if I decide that I don't want to pay for the streaming anymore... well... I'm no worse off than I was before i started doing so.  10 bucks a month to record a couple of albums a week.  It makes sense financially.   And I still pay for CD's/MP3s for bands I want to support..... like YYNOT, DT, Marillion, Riverside,. our old friend David Vector....    I've got a .M.O.T.H album in my paid Amazon mp3 directory too...... :)

Edited by grep
verbiage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grep said:

Even if you just get an external drive and make a copy drag and drop regularly, it's better than nothing.   The day will come that the hard drive fails, and all that stuff is gone.  They are mechanical, and even though incredibly reliable - are still machines. 

I am still pissed at myself for not having a working backup in 2009. Sirmply for the fact that I had full versions of both Rob Halford Rockline solo shows....now gone to eternity.   Yeah, there's low quality versions out there...but not my own... 

A basic principle for data is that if there aren't at least 3 copies, then it doesn't exist.

Just do the basic drag and drop copies to start.... you might well thank yourself one day. 

I'm surprised there isn't a Rockline archive somewhere in in the interweb.  I used to love those interviews, it was always great to catch the different ones.

Really I guess what the deal is that they have been around for 20 years. Long enough for an entire generation of people to have grown up with this format. To them maybe its like some of us watching cassettes or LP's fade away. It marks an era.

• Like 1

I once planned to buy an iPod but found out they didn't offer an employee discount (my daughter worked at Best Buy) and then found out they didn't even offer a discount in the PX (military store) where every other company did so at that point I decided that Steve Jobs and Apple wouldn't get the first penny from me. Money grubbing skinflints. 

8 hours ago, ozzy85 said:

Really I guess what the deal is that they have been around for 20 years. Long enough for an entire generation of people to have grown up with this format. To them maybe its like some of us watching cassettes or LP's fade away. It marks an era.

But is it though? iPhones just evolved over time into iPhones and now you can do all on one device shows it hasn't aged, it just evolved