So no more iPods.

I'm surprised how much attention this little bit of news seems to have generated, but Apple have officially discontinued the iPod.  Sucks for people like me who still make a point of owning their music and compiling their collection all on one portable player.  I doubt there ever won't be a tiny market for suck devices, but prices will inevitably go up now that they're not going to be mass produced anymore. I'm not surprised about the decision to discontinue the product, but I am surprised that articles are being written celebrating the concept of owning your music and carrying it with you wherever you go, something I know the mainstream has devalued in the past decade.  Maybe all of this positive buzz around music ownership will get more people thinking a bit harder about who controls access to their favorite music, and how that control gets used.

• Like 3

I don't see the issue. iPhones, android and other phones exist.

Spotify exists.

I can't imagine many people want a giant phone AND an iPod anymore.

• Like 4

Isn't your phone an iPod now? You can still carry your music around with you, just downloaded to the phone instead. I owned a couple of the mini iPod things (small, square, no visible interface) and I hated them. Maybe because I'm not a Mac guy, but I haven't thought about iPods in years.

When you get to the dustbin of history, iPod, say hello to in-dash CD players for me!

10 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I don't see the issue. iPhones, android and other phones exist.

Spotify exists.

I can't imagine many people want a giant phone AND an iPod anymore.

Exactly. iPods were cool when all I had was a small flip phone to carry around as well. Now with my too big for some pockets smartphone which has access to multiple music streaming services, an ipod has become pretty useless.

2 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I still have my iPod I bought in 2010, although I don't really use it.  I might charge it up and use it just because.

I still have my ipod mini but no longer use it.   My iphone does it all.  

ipods were still a thing?

they really haven't be relevant for like about a decade now anyway.  and as others have said you a shit ton of other avenues in this day and  age for your music.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I listen to music via my phone, because it became easier to use a decent sized memory card in that rather than having two electronic items radiating into my testicles. Saying that the death of the iPod demonstrates a change of listener habit is not really true, because it is largely why we listen how we do now. For me, a parallel could be the landline telephone. It has practically become obsolete exactly because it succeeded, as it heralded in many new ways of communicating beyond sitting and talking, such as the cordless phone, then the internet etc., so the original model couldn`t cope.

I still have an ipod. I think it was 120 gigs. It actually hasn't worked in a few years. If I plug it into my computer, I get nothing. It doesn't charge, my itunes which probably hasn't been updated in a few years can't even read anything on it. My iPod is as dead as disco.

• Like 1

ok, to me this is a tragedy. I have an Android but it doesn't have THAT much storage to have all my music. So I use my refurbed super drive iPod classic in my car and it stays there all the time. And it's all nice and neatly organized by playlists.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

I still have an ipod. I think it was 120 gigs. It actually hasn't worked in a few years. If I plug it into my computer, I get nothing. It doesn't charge, my itunes which probably hasn't been updated in a few years can't even read anything on it. My iPod is as dead as disco.

i use my phone honestly.  it has the music app and spotify that's all i need these days.

i've kinda made the cardinal music lovers sin of basically being al digital......i know for shame!!!!!!

i still buy CD's of albums i REALLY like though.

Mick

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laurabw said:

ok, to me this is a tragedy. I have an Android but it doesn't have THAT much storage to have all my music. So I use my refurbed super drive iPod classic in my car and it stays there all the time. And it's all nice and neatly organized by playlists.

Do you still have enough room to download one of the music streaming services to your phone? That might take up less space than putting a bunch of music on your phone. I had a ton of playlists on my iPod. Usually they were fantasy setlist I would want to hear a band do live. I haven't kept up as much with them since I started using Spotify a few years ago.

Myself i just have selected  albums and playlists on my music app. not my whole collection.  an i switch it up and edit what's on there often.  for BIG album listening days it's spotify.

Mick

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Do you still have enough room to download one of the music streaming services to your phone? That might take up less space than putting a bunch of music on your phone. I had a ton of playlists on my iPod. Usually they were fantasy setlist I would want to hear a band do live. I haven't kept up as much with them since I started using Spotify a few years ago.

I do, and I have Apple music on my phone, but I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't have unlimited data, so...

I'm a total nerd with my playlists. It's not only by artists, but I have a couple by decade, and then a bunch by year. And "soundtracks" one, two and three. And "Holiday" and "Irish music" and stuff I listened to in college...and on and on. So yes, that's all on iTunes so in theory, on my Apple Music, but then I have to switch to unlimited data in order to be using apple music in the car. I just don't use that much data otherwise...

But, both my iPods still work right now, KNOCK WOOD....so I don't have to do anything till they both stop working.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i use my phone honestly.  it has the music app and spotify that's all i need these days.

i've kinda made the cardinal music lovers sin of basically being al digital......i know for shame!!!!!!

i still buy CD's of albums i REALLY like though.

Mick

I still buy albums too. Especially if it's a band that I already have everything from on CD. I'll try to keep the collection current as long as I like the album. I will buy the albums of newer bands that I like since their catalogs aren't too big. It's been great having Spotify and being able to discover and become a fan of some classic artists like David Bowie and Elton John. But you're out of your mind if you think I'm going to spend the ridiculous amount of money it would cost to buy those huge discographies today.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Laurabw said:

I have a 64gb micro SD card in my Android, which provides additional storage to the phone's internal storage. On my phone the internal storage is strictly for the operating system and apps, and the SD card is for photos, videos and music.

If your phone has an open slot, a storage card would give you plenty of room for music and such.

• Like 2

Yeah, I might have to just go that route. But, the music isn't organized by playlists or anything, right? it's just in essence a thumbdrive, I mean, operating the same way as a thumbdrive.

15 minutes ago, Laurabw said:

Yeah, I might have to just go that route. But, the music isn't organized by playlists or anything, right? it's just in essence a thumbdrive, I mean, operating the same way as a thumbdrive.

Correct, but I'm betting there's an app (besides Spotify) that lets you categorize your stored music.

Wow lots of responses!

Yeah I knew I was in the minority here as well, lol. Streaming has taken over and iPods were already on the way out. For me, the current system just doesn't satisfy. I don't like the idea of my music access being controlled by somebody else, especially when that someone else is a company that runs on a pretty evil business model like Spotify or Apple Music. So I'm both morally and philosophically just opposed to relying on them for anything other than music discovery and the one podcast I listen to (which I not sure is available elsewhere? I should look into that).  Also, I have one of the last iPods they made, with 256 gigs of storage on it. I need lots of storage for my music collection and any device that's also a phone is just not likely to offer that much space. Not to mention I'm very picky about notifications and such. I don't like my music player to also be able to take phone calls and be my main messaging system. I just want it to play music and not ever interrupt me with something else. I do keep some games on my iPod and the messages app for emergencies (i.e. if my phone is dead), but I use it pretty solely as a music player and that's how I like it. I also turn off all notifications so I don't have anything interrupting the music.  Also, modern iPhones don't have headphone jacks, and I'm not getting wireless earbuds anytime soon. I like the wire. I don't know if Androids have headphone jacks or not, but I just got a modern iPhone a few months ago before my big move and I'll be paying it off for a while, so I'm not going to be making the switch anytime soon.

All of that is to say, for me, personally, and by no means for anybody other than me... the iPod is still important.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Wow lots of responses!

Yeah I knew I was in the minority here as well, lol. Streaming has taken over and iPods were already on the way out. For me, the current system just doesn't satisfy. I don't like the idea of my music access being controlled by somebody else, especially when that someone else is a company that runs on a pretty evil business model like Spotify or Apple Music. So I'm both morally and philosophically just opposed to relying on them for anything other than music discovery and the one podcast I listen to (which I not sure is available elsewhere? I should look into that).  Also, I have one of the last iPods they made, with 256 gigs of storage on it. I need lots of storage for my music collection and any device that's also a phone is just not likely to offer that much space. Not to mention I'm very picky about notifications and such. I don't like my music player to also be able to take phone calls and be my main messaging system. I just want it to play music and not ever interrupt me with something else. I do keep some games on my iPod and the messages app for emergencies (i.e. if my phone is dead), but I use it pretty solely as a music player and that's how I like it. I also turn off all notifications so I don't have anything interrupting the music.  Also, modern iPhones don't have headphone jacks, and I'm not getting wireless earbuds anytime soon. I like the wire. I don't know if Androids have headphone jacks or not, but I just got a modern iPhone a few months ago before my big move and I'll be paying it off for a while, so I'm not going to be making the switch anytime soon.

All of that is to say, for me, personally, and by no means for anybody other than me... the iPod is still important.

What do you mean by music access being controlled by someone else? Spotify has not blocked me from listening to any artist I want to. Like, it's all right there. I would have given anything in my early 20s to have instant access to any music I wanted.

Edited by J2112YYZ

12 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

What do you mean by music access being controlled by someone else? Spotify has not blocked me from listening to any artist I want to. Like, it's all right there. I would have given anything in my early 20s to have instant access to any music I wanted.

Spotify controls music access on their service. That’s all I mean by that. I control what music goes on my iPod and it can be from any source I like. If Apple discontinues iTunes I can still access my mp3s so long as I hold onto them. If Spotify goes out of business, I don’t get to keep listening to the music I depended on Spotify to lend me access to. It’s pretty simple.

8 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Spotify controls music access on their service. That’s all I mean by that. I control what music goes on my iPod and it can be from any source I like. If Apple discontinues iTunes I can still access my mp3s so long as I hold onto them. If Spotify goes out of business, I don’t get to keep listening to the music I depended on Spotify to lend me access to. It’s pretty simple.

If Spotify goes out of business, just go to another streaming service that offers the same thing. But I see your point now. I thought you were trying to say that Spotify was blocking music from being on their service.

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

If Spotify goes out of business, just go to another streaming service that offers the same thing. But I see your point now. I thought you were trying to say that Spotify was blocking music from being on their service.

No they’re very active in trying to get me to subscribe to premium. But I won’t do it.