"Does it still hold up??" discussion game - TV sitcoms version

Slime

A very simple concept!

One poster mentions a TV sitcom from the past (no longer producing new episodes) and asks the simple question

"Does it still hold up??"

Next poster says "yes" or "no" (or somewhere in between) and lists a bunch of reasons for their opinion

This same poster then chooses the next sitcom up for discussion

For the sake of discussion, we should limit this to sitcoms that, generally speaking, received reviews and ratings in its lifetime from at least average to excellent.

Any sitcom stinkers, one episode wonders and the truly bizarre should be kept out of this discussion!

What does "does it still hold up?" mean?

Consider the following

Is it still funny? Do the jokes still land?

Is the acting good? Is the writing still good?

Are the serious moments still watchable or is it pure cringe?

Do the themes still feel relevant to this day and age, or is it purely a product of its time? (or discuss if that's even a bad thing!)

The overall thing to consider, of course, is the question "Is it worth taking time today to sit down and watch this sitcom?"

Let's talk about it!

I'll get the ball rolling

First choice:  

Who's The Boss? (ran from 1984 to 1992 - average reviews, strong ratings overall)

Does it still hold up??

No.

But then, I hated it during its heyday, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask.  The gender roles thing is awkward, there's too much reliance on cute kids and sassy grandma, the jokes are telegraphed.

Given its ubiquity on TV still, how about Seinfeld?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

No.

But then, I hated it during its heyday, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask.  The gender roles thing is awkward, there's too much reliance on cute kids and sassy grandma, the jokes are telegraphed.

Given its ubiquity on TV still, how about Seinfeld?

I think for the most part the humor on Seinfeld holds up. Given how often it's run in syndication and how much the streaming services pay to get it, I think it's more than just people watching it for nostalgia and it is being discovered by a new generation of fans. Now, there are no doubt many out of date references and some jokes that probably came off better when it originally aired than it does now but overall I do think it's holding up just fine. I haven't watched Who's The Boss in ages. But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the show doesn't hold up today.

What about Cheers?

Pretty well, at least the early years.  I think.the humor isn't time dependent, and it's still humorous.

The Nanny

The Niles vs CC battles were definitely a draw for the series, as I recall.

I'll say YES, it holds up but strongly dependent on the above. Without it, I doubt the series would be remembered as much.

Next series up for discussion: 

Coach

I'd lean yes.    I don't remember that much topical content and it didn't rely on a unique time period to supply plot devices.   But I wouldn't argue if someone wanted to argue differently.

The Rockford Files

Edited by laughedatbytime