Oberheim OB-X8 - new vesrion of classic Rush synth(s)

Vectorman

The new synth has aspects of the Oberheim OB-X, OB-Xa and OB-8 all rolled up in one. The oldest of those three, the OB-X, was of course the source of the "Tom Sawyer" filter sweep, as well as the poly sounds on "The Camera Eye" and "Subdivisions", etc. Not cheap at $5K, but I guess it's a bargain compared to original OB-X's which are now going for close to $20K.

www.oberheim.com

This is likely welcome news for those who may have been waiting since, oh . . . 2018 for Behringer to actually manufacture their long-touted UB-X and UB-Xa keyboard synths.  Sure, the Behringers will eventually come to market (?) at a much lower price, but musicians cannot play an instrument which may only be experienced through promotional videos.

It definitely is a cool and inspirational thing to see a new entry in the Oberheim OB series for the first time in SO long. A few years ago, I probably wouldn't have bet $10 on it ever happening.

Hard to say how long the wait could be for those looking to buy the UB-Xa. According to what was stated by Behringer, the only holdup now is getting sufficient quantities of components for a big enough batch to justify starting production, but that might be a while yet. I'm in no big hurry for any of these, though. Leaving aside sentimental factors, my occasional desires for an Oberheim-like texture in a new song are probably, in all honesty, satisfied by software solutions like Synapse Obsession.