Masters of the Guitar Solo

ST3V

A thread for the guitarists who have mastered the mystifying art of the guitar solo. Ones that have blown your mind with their solos before.

I'll start with an extremely underrated guitarist who everyone should know about

Video is Timestamped

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, zepphead said:

First name that came to mind, and quite the selection of dipole brilliant and completely useless solos.  Even within the same solo there can be melodic brilliance and useless fluff.

Govan on the other hand seems to have near perfect instincts, I've yet to hear a lead from him that seemed 'filler'.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stoopid said:

First name that came to mind, and quite the selection of dipole brilliant and completely useless solos.  Even within the same solo there can be melodic brilliance and useless fluff.

Govan on the other hand seems to have near perfect instincts, I've yet to hear a lead from him that seemed 'filler'.

I thought the Petrucci song was pretty good, but I do agree with you with Rhodes although I wouldnt call it useless, it's more just less interesting. Playing fast for the sake of playing fast isn't what makes a solo good. But there are plenty of other times in that video where Rhodes is outstanding. Theres no denying his skill that's for sure.

And yes, Govan's improv skills are crazy. Very emotive while being technical

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tangy said:

I have seen many great players over several genres.

I have never seen anyone who has a relationship with a guitar like Buckethead. To see him live was intense AF.

Of the few Buckethead songs/performances I've seen, I can see what you mean. Pretty great, and unique too

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ST3V said:

I thought the Petrucci song was pretty good...

I was posting in general about his playing, not any particular lead (there's a hundred or more to choose from).

36 minutes ago, treeduck said:

:notworthy: Genius, ahead of this time. Fun fact. The guitar solo on Beat It, was played using Allan Holdsworth's gear. Holdsworths solos move, perplex confuse, mesmerise and amaze me every time. In a way no other guitarist does. His musical brain along with his command of the guitar is from another another universe. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, condemned2bfree said:

75 Allan straight shredding which he hated

To this. Allan did so much, 2 vids don't do justice.

I had a suspicion I'd see a lot of Holdsworth on this thread. Only heard 1 of his songs before today. Glad I got more recommendations here

• Like 2

It's good to see Allan Holdsworth getting well-deserved recognition.

Here's a work which always comes to mind as exemplary when it comes to great guitar slingin': 

One of the impressive aspects of Stevie's playing is that he pulls all of it off without using high gain amps, and higher levels of distortion.  If you are able to play this cleanly and at the proper speed--without using high gain amps--you've attained a meaningful level of accomplishment as a guitarist.  Additionally, he was a decent fellow.  If there was a guitarist/fan who really wanted to meet him, he'd allow it.

Edited by dream & vapour
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, stoopid said:

I saw a poll on a forum once that said he was a hack, so it must be true.

A great producer with studio chops, but plays like a 2yo live.

An hilarious jab from Eddie VH